tips to stop my dog from jumping!!!

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

chrysta27

tips to stop my dog from jumping!!!

Post by chrysta27 »

:wink: Please help me teach my dog not to jump. This is one of his only behavior issues. He gets so happy to interact with ppl, that he immediatley wants to jump and kiss them.
He is a great listener..generally and is very obiedient otherwise. anyone have any methods for us to try???/

thanks in advance,
Chrysta & her dawg Bochelli
Carrie

Post by Carrie »

First, make sure the dog gets enough good romping and exercise so he's not too pent up. Does he know "sit?" When you see the very first intention to jump, while his muscles are just beginning to contract, ask for a sit. Then bend down and turn sideways to him and give him attention. If you don't see it coming and he has already jumped up on you, turn your back and completely and absolutely ignore him. The second he is back down on all fours, then give him what he wants....your attention. If he has learned sit and you'd like him to learn to sit for attention, wait until he sits. Don't speak. When dogs wonder what they should do in order to get what they want, they will often try sitting since that is a behavior they've been reinforced for a lot in the past. "Hmmmm.....will this work?" That's when you immediately praise and give affection. Keep it low key. If he again jumps up, immediately stand upright and turn your back on him, ignoring him. Tell other people that interact with him, ahead of time to do the same. Be absolutely consistant. Dogs live by cause and effect. The same consequence has to happen every single time.

He may jump harder and more persistantly for a while since it's been working for him to get attention. So, don't give up and try something else. Stay with it and he'll learn what behavior (sitting nicely) gives him the attention and affection he is seeking and what behavior (jumping up) does not work to get him what he wants.
Training with my mind, not my hands.
DawnStorm

Post by DawnStorm »

I have the same problem with Flanders, my Belgian Malinois. She's good at home, but when we get to the dog park, she gets so excited she cannot contain herself. Turning around and ignoring her doesn't work; she'll just follow you. Some have advocated gently squeezing her paws but that doesn't work either.
OK, when you're in a dog park, you have to expect some jumping, but Flanders is Michael Jordan's love child and loves to give kisses on top of that. Not just a quick lick either! :oops: Ever been French-kissed by a dog? :P
My current crew:
Bruce the Albino Dobe; Flanders the Belgian Malinut; Leela, Scuttlebutt, and Felix, da kitties.
All much-loved but not spoiled!
Ocelot0411

Post by Ocelot0411 »

Dawnstorm, I have exactly the same problem. What I have been trying recently is putting my two hands out in front of me in a kind of 'stop' sign way as my dog runs up to me in a bouncy 'I'm gonna dive at you way'. it seems to be helping but its very early days. If anyone has a better idea I would love to hear it as this is one I am really struggling with.

Also I am trying to discourage 'bouncy behaviour' by insisting that she sits before I throw a stick or toy for her. The idea being that she learns that jumping all over me won't hepl and that sitting is the quickest way to get the stick thrown etc. This seems to be getting better as she is jumping less and going into a sit much faster now, but again any other tips would be greatly appreciated.