Stop the Marking

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

LeeMedic

Stop the Marking

Post by LeeMedic »

I volunteer for a Golden Retriever Rescue, and I am getting ready to foster a Flat Retriever, 3 years old, and he has not been neutered, and has lived outdoors for 2. This dog has had minimal human contact, but is friendly to people, other dogs and cats.

In 2 days he will be neutered at our vet. We are having a big problem with him marking with urine indoors.

What are your recommendations? We want to house break him.
emmabeth

Re: Stop the Marking

Post by emmabeth »

Do you have to neuter him right this minute?

Neutering will cause a drop in testosterone - that can cause anxiety and anxiety will cause scent marking!

If you can hold off neutering for a month or two whilst he settles into your house, you should see much better results.

In the meantime, crate train him and do NOT have him loose unless he is in the same room as you and you are watching him. Take him outside regularly as you would a puppy, every couple of hours to start with until you learn his potty schedule, then you can drop it down a bit to coincide with when he needs to go.

As you would with a puppy, go outside with him, have him on a long leash if needs be to prevent him playing around rather than pottying, and reward him really really well for going outside.

Do lots and lots of training, particularly clicker training that will boost his confidence and help him understand how to work with you - that will reduce anxiety and help him settle better and bond with you faster.

Moving into a new home is a BIG deal to a dog, adding to that anxiety by neutering at the same time is in my opinion, a bad idea.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Yes, I would say the same.

Also you can make the dog's new home environment more relaxing by using a pheromone diffuser to emit calming scents. Going from outdoor to indoor living is a huge step even for a well-adjusted dog that is used to people. This chap needs all the confidence you can give him, and holding off the neutering will be a big help.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
LeeMedic

Post by LeeMedic »

Thank you for your posts and concerns. I have copied and pasted your responses and emailed the Board of our organization for a decision. Thanks!
LeeMedic

Post by LeeMedic »

I have some additional information one of our board members.

1. Anchor (dog in question) has delivered to our vet yesterday and has remained there.
2. In my home are my two other Golden Retrievers, one a neutered 2 year old male, and one spayed 6 year old female, both are permanent residents.

What effect will bringing an entact male into my home have on my other two dogs?
What effect will bringing Anchor into my home with these two other fixed dogs?

Do you still stand my holding off on neutering Anchor?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Bringing a third dog into an established group of two is a biiig stressor. You can be sure than initially the reactions will be negative. This is valid for any group of dogs, no matter what genders, breed types, neutered or not - the two will resent the third on their patch, and the third will become even more underconfident and defensive - and so will territory-mark even more. Even housetrained dogs are likely to do this. Even your two might start to mark indoors.

Not a good plan.

I strongly recommend that Anchor learns his house manners as a solo dog in a household of one or two people. Anything else is likely to create more problems than it will solve.

Once he is accustomed to being clean indoors (may take months) and his behaviour with other dogs has been assessed, you and the rescue will be much better placed to know what kind of home he needs.

As it stands, you are all setting yourselves up for failure, and that isn't kind on any of you :wink: so turn circumstances around and give this dog every chance to succeed. Which includes holding off the surgery for the time being.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I agree wholeheartedly with what Nettle says here (and if you want to see the trouble that can be caused by bringing in new dogs to an existing group, there is a thread slightly further down this section of the forum, where with the best of intentions, it is likely the owner is going to end up with just one dog, having to rehome the two new comers AND one of the existing dogs!)...

If you did want to try to integrate the new boy with your existing dogs, you need new dog to be living in a foster home.. and to go for walks with your current dogs individually on many occasions over the course of a few weeks, and set them up to find one another easy going, fun and rewarding to be around.

It is labour intensive and for best results Anchor needs to be living somewhere calm and where they are working on his training in the same way you will - boarding at a vets surgery (if my understanding of what the current situation is, is correct) is not really suitable.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
LeeMedic

Post by LeeMedic »

It looks like we have some decisions to make. Thanks so much for your input.
LeeMedic

Post by LeeMedic »

Just a follow-up.

Well, we decided to go ahead and move Anchor into our home with the 2 other Goldens. Before we allowed Anchor into the home, we placed a belly band around his waist. Yes, as soon as he entered the home he tried to mark 3 times. He soon found out that he was peeing on himself.

That was all it took. He has not worn that band now in 2 weeks and no more marking. He has NEVER had an accident in our home. He even took him to a pet sitting business to see how he would act, and no marking attempts.

He is totally house broken. We house broke him in 1 day. All positive reinforcement.

How did the other dogs and our 2 cats react to the new dog? All them are Best of Friends. He was immediately accepted by our two Goldens and our cat.

We are no longer fostering Anchor. We have adopted him. He is now a part of our family.