Help dogs wont play with toys

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ALPHEEE

Help dogs wont play with toys

Post by ALPHEEE »

We have recently adopted 2 small terrier crosses from rescue home, about 18 months old, brother and sister. Not much known about their past but probably neglected, not played with, not taken out etc.
Have both settled in well, are now enjoying walks and playing off the lead with other dogs etc.

However, they are both suspicious of, scared of and show absolutely no interest in playing with toys of all sorts. Despite being quite keen on a bit of naughty chewing we cant make them take a tug toy, soft toy, chase a ball, they are just completely blank.

They play fight with each other, and jump over you if you roll on the floor,
BUT NOT TOYS.

All ideas greatly appreciated....
Owdb1tch

Post by Owdb1tch »

Loads of dogs don't play with toys. None of mine do. It isn't the end of the world.

Enjoy the fact that they are happy to play with you and each other. Lack of interst in toys = no resource guarding.
Find the cause, find the cure.

A dog is never 'bad' or 'naughty'. It is simply behaving like a dog.
katowaggytail

Post by katowaggytail »

That's reassuring, I've been trying to encourage play with toys but he just isn't interested - I feel better knowing that it's ok and some don't... all my other dogs have, which made me feel this way! :roll:
kazsaau

Post by kazsaau »

Hey -
My two little tibbies are the same - one i have had since a puppy and the other was a rescue. They never play with toys and also wrestle with each other ... but i have found that giving them things they can rip apart keeps them occupied for ages. There are two things which i have found really works in replacement of toys ...
1) i take toilet roles and smudge a little (really little) bit of a spreadable treat right in the middle of the inside of it (mine like vegemite - but it is full of salt so i literally put a translucent layer of it - but you can buy all sorts of spreadable treats). They spend ages trying to get to the centre and will then rip it apart trying to get more. I hide a few around the house before i leave for work so that they have to spend time finding them and getting them out of little nooks, corners and even from under furniture.I have also found that they tend to be more responsive to "cat toys" ( i dont know if it is a size thing or not??) But i buy them the little fake fur mice ( make sure there aren't little balls or bells in the middles) they they really enjoy ripping them apart as well.
There is always some clean up at the end of the day - but you can really tell that they are happy and had fun.