How do I keep dog off the sofa!?!?

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

jasper5883

How do I keep dog off the sofa!?!?

Post by jasper5883 »

Hi,

I have a problem with my ex work dog (one of many!!) he's been retired for a year now and he keeps getting on our new sofa when we aren't home. We have tried putting chairs etc on the sofa but he just pushes them off and snuggles down. We have also tried putting the cushions up so he cant get on the sofa but he just gets on anyway. He isnt allowed on the sofa when we are home. He was allowed on the sofa at our other house but since we have moved we have been really strict on not letting him up at all, I know this has probably confused him slightly but thought a new house and new rules. We are unable to lock him away from the sofa as our house is all open plan.

Any ideas will be greatly received as Im not quite sure what I can do when he doesnt do it in front of me!

Cheers

Emily xx
JudyN

Re: How do I keep dog off the sofa!?!?

Post by JudyN »

I'm not sure there's a way you can keep him off. Would it be possible for you to cover the sofa with a throw when you are going to leave the house, and accept that he can go on it when you're out?
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

I think you have hit the nail on the head.....in your last house he was allowed on the sofa....now in a new house you dont want him on the sofa, but for him, the sofa is fine for him to lie on. My dog also doesnt even try to get on my sofa when I am here, but it because clear some time ago when I went out he did get on the sofa! I did put boxes on the sofa but he still sometimes got on....so now I just put a throw on it, and often put some stuff on the sofa too....and now if he gets on it then he does, and at least he cant damage the sofa (its black leather so I dont want it scratched!).

He doesnt even try to get on when I am there so I reckon he just wants to be near me when I leave! So with the throw on the sofa is protected...no issues!
elisa

Post by elisa »

Does he have a nice bed? I would figure if he had a super nice bed in which to hang out or sleep then there would be no reason to work (push off chairs and pillows and such) so as to get on the couch. And if you get him a new bed then you could make it really rewarding to be on it by giving him treats for just being on it (once in a while and loads in the beginning maybe). Maybe his brain could then sort of rewire itself to think sleeping on his own bed is nicer than the sofa even when you are gone.
The best friend of Ansa the sprollie since autumn 2010.
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnsaTheSprollie
Train with your brain. :)
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Honestly...

You can't.

Shut him out of the room.

Your sofa is not merely a nice place to sit - we put sofas in places that are secure and comfy, usually with a view of at least one door. They rapidly begin to hold our scent, which a dog loves especially when we are gone, they are raised off the floor and generally against a wall or even in a corner which is a location a dog will feel very secure in.

It all adds up to them being a place most dogs want to be, especially when we are gone, and since you are NOT there to enforce the rules, he is going to carry on getting up there.

So - either you make it so you don't mind, by using covers/throw overs etc, or you deny him the option by shutting him out of the room.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Flyby

Post by Flyby »

You'd never catch my dogs sitting on the furniture watching TV. :roll:

Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Flyby, great picture.
Ari thinks that guarding the sofa is his honorable duty, him being on the sofa is like changing the guard at buckingham palace, this just simply cannot change :lol:
So now we need to decide on the new sofa - perhaps leather surface is a better fit for a sofa under Rhodesian Ridgeback's guard ?
Ari, Rhodesian Ridgeback, Sept 2010 - Dec 2018.
Miles, Rhodesian Ridgeback, b. Nov 2018