question on removal technique

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

wheelingurl

question on removal technique

Post by wheelingurl »

I was wondering if when my dog reacts by barking to lets say a person walking across they street, can I say ah ah, and then turn around immediately to walk in another direction? When a dog has found a great pile of poop, can I say ah ah, and then turn to go in another direction. My dog's know leave it on most things, but poop is a special million dollar smell. I will give an example. Hershey my slowly losing weight chihuahua goes out on 2 mile walks every day, and it seems she will catch a wiff of a previous dog mark, and no matter what I do she refuses to give me attention, so when this happens, I step in to her space. I block her nose from they great piles. She backs away, so do I say ah ah, and keep walking? I just wonder as from dog training class, I was taught to praise them they moment they move away from forbidden object. I am so lost.

Thanks,
Jennie
Owdb1tch

Post by Owdb1tch »

You should not be lost - you should be proud of yourself.

if your dog is approaching something you don't want her to approach, blocking her access with your body and walking away is good, and praise when she is beside you away from the item of contention is right.
Find the cause, find the cure.

A dog is never 'bad' or 'naughty'. It is simply behaving like a dog.