HELP... Mouthing on me and my kids... 12 wk old puppy!

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

alicia_dawn

HELP... Mouthing on me and my kids... 12 wk old puppy!

Post by alicia_dawn »

Our 12 week old boxer puppy mouths on my children and me and it hurts! How can I break her from all the painful bites! She treats us like chew toys! What can I do????? :cry:
rubyboo

Post by rubyboo »

we stopped our rescue rottie and sbt from nipping by making a high pitch !owww! kind of noise each time they nipped which worked well. i think thats th kind of noise they'd recieve from mum/siblings
MEL AND ZULU

Post by MEL AND ZULU »

puppies do this from birth, its just a dog way of sampling life. :D

Maybe get some puppie chew toys or some rawhide and let her chew on that. But the high pitched yelp is a gr8 way to set the boundries with her. Its not through malice, its just a dog thing, My dog Mac still does this but very gently and he is 6. :D

Victoria did the high pitched noise with my dog Zulu. He wasnt doing it in an aggresive way but through play, you have to teach your dogs/puppies how to behave and the right way of doing things. Unfortunatly we just expect our dogs to live peacefully in a human world and forget that they are dogs and think in a completly different way. :roll:

Good luck with your puppie and i hope she brings you lots of love and fun :D
MEL AND ZULU

Post by MEL AND ZULU »

Oh and just to add to that, Zulu is a boxer, now aged 4 and i still remeber the needle like teeth from play play :shock: :lol: :lol:
katowaggytail

Post by katowaggytail »

That takes me back to when I had my pup! I used to go to work looking like I'd self-harmed! Noises and chews and patience......
Maxy24

Post by Maxy24 »

What works for most people I know is to get up and ignore the pup for 30 seconds each time he bites with pressure. Then go back down and play with him. As soon as he bites again get up an ignore again. Soon the puppy learns that biting means end of fun.
Owdb1tch

Post by Owdb1tch »

Make sure no-one plays rough with the pup or does anything to get her excited. No shrieking and running about, no flapping and shouting, no tug games. Nice and calm is the way with puppies, especially those of boisterous breeds.
Find the cause, find the cure.

A dog is never 'bad' or 'naughty'. It is simply behaving like a dog.