Help!

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shepherd103

Help!

Post by Shepherd103 »

Hi there,

I would like some advice on how to handle my friends dog. They are in dispare, and I want to help.
Their dog Jess is a very large dog possibly mastiff cross, she gets really aggressive at friends and family and workers she knows so well. They leave the entire house open when they leave the property so she has full range of the house and property all the time. Any idea's?? I would really really appreciate it!
Thankyou!!!
Persevere, hang on till the end. Don't quit, keep going!
Shepherd103
Flyby

Re: Help!

Post by Flyby »

Need a lot more information Shepherd103.

What circumstances prompt the dog to be aggressive? Is it aggressive all the time? Is it a change of behaviour? Does the dog have a history? Is it the only dog they have? What has already been tried? Has anybody been attacked? Is he hostile to people or other dogs?

I guess the dog is fearful and anxious about something, and certainly lacking in confidence, but the people here would need to know what might be causing that before anyone can suggest ideas to address the problem.
Shepherd103

Post by Shepherd103 »

Hi there,
She is the only dog. She nips in aggressive way, so far, one worker just ignores her, and she does a little better.
The dog has not attacked yet, but its just about at the point of that, especially if they are on her property. She is aggressive to dogs and people at home or on walks. The owners haven't tried anything yet, as they don't know what to do and 50% of the time the owners aren't home, but trust the workers, mainly to get some building equipment from the shed.
So far, the workers know if they are very quick, she doesn't have time to nip them, as she has to climb down the stairs etc.
Hope this helps. The owners previous dog was old, and was put down, that's why they got her. She is not a puppy.
Shepherd103
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Shepherd103, not being your own dog, ultimately what you can do will be limited to basically advice. The absolutely best thing would be fore your friends to join the forum and start working with us.

by the way, do you know how old the dog is?
Shepherd103

Post by Shepherd103 »

Hi there,
They are not the sort of owners that would train their dog. And I do not know how old the dog is.
They do listen and will try, but I have told them that they have to be dedicated and willing to work hard to get to their goal.
Shepherd103