Getting a second dog

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Ari_RR

Re: Getting a second dog

Post by Ari_RR »

So, emmabeth, then while having two terriers, especially two Pattersdales, is a bad idea.. having two Ridgebacks (sighthounds, working hounds bred to work as a team when hunting lions, 1 male + 1 female, 2 years or so apart in age) may be a slightly better idea, not necessarily a recipe for disaster, with a decent chance of success.. Well, this gives me some hope back. I almost decided not to even consider a second dog after reading the posts above :D

Cheers!
Eugene
Ari, Rhodesian Ridgeback, Sept 2010 - Dec 2018.
Miles, Rhodesian Ridgeback, b. Nov 2018
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Yep, I would say thats likely to work out pretty well. As long as the original dog has a good level of training and is pretty mature, oh and remember if you introduce a b itch pup to an existing adult male, do NOT be surprised when she 'takes over' and do be prepared to do some refereeing if she gets a bit too big for her boots early on. It is pretty normal for a girl to 'take over', as long as she does so in a pleasant way its fine, but beware the bully!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Interesting discussion... I've often wondered whether Jasper would like and benefit from a playmate, as he looks so happy when playing with other dogs, particularly if they're well matched, but can lack confidence in some situations. I'd love for him to be able to have a running/wrestling mate on tap.

On the other hand, despite being a guarder, he's brilliant with other dogs, even if they come to the house, help themselves to his toys, and curl up on his bed to chew them. Having someone doing that every day, and also being present when he's being fed, could change that completely. And though to help with his confidence a calm, onder b itch may be best, an ideal playmate may be more like him in age and temperament... i.e. a bit of a handful! And, of course, it could change his relationship to me...

Practically, I don't think it's going to happen anyway. Hubby is adamant about that!
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

You wouldn't see much of them, JudyN - two lurchers often equals a gap where they used to be :lol: unless a LOT of separate work is done.

So bless Hubby for saving the situation.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Ari_RR wrote: Well, this gives me some hope back. I almost decided not to even consider a second dog after reading the posts above :D
I think the take away should not be so much an "OH NO!!! Don't get a second dog that's bad" Rather if you are considering a second dog, and want to it right, there are somethings to consider first to make sure your not setting everyone up for a boat load of misery.

Clearly in some cases (like my self) a second dog probably isn't a real good idea. But in yours.....you now have a lot of good information, tips and advice. now you have to decide IF a second dog is right for you and your situation.
Scadds

Post by Scadds »

Hi everyone

Well we went ahead and did it. 1 week and 5 days in - they now share the same crate (when we are in the room) by choice. Play fight, play tug of war, clean each other.. and get on well.
Im not dumb enough to think at some point they may end up having a set to but so far its been excellent!
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

Congrats! Good luck, keep us posted on the progress !
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

If you are referring to the original litter you were thinking of getting a pup from....

it is way, way, way to early to know how this for sure will "end". If you have an actual puppy there is the "puppy pass" to take into an account right now. your older dog may very well be very gentle or tolerant right now. After all the "competition/intruder" is just a "wee pup" right now. :wink:

just be on your toes, start thinking ahead, educating your self, planning etc. so that you hopefully head off trouble before it starts.