Jealous Corgi...Sometimes

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

HuskerWebhead

Jealous Corgi...Sometimes

Post by HuskerWebhead »

We have a frustrating problem and I was hoping someone could give us some advice. This is going to be a bit of a book....so bear with me. My wife and I bought a Pembroke Welsh Corgi (Ein) a couple years ago and he's been a great dog. When he was about 1 1/2 years old we decided to get another dog and decided on another Pembroke, but this time a little girl (Suki). For the most part they really seem to get along well. They play and wrestle, tug toys together, sleep next to each other, and so on.

But every once in awhile Suki will go after Ein. They bark, bite, and if we weren't there to stop them I'm afraid one of them might get injured. There haven't been any injuries yet cause we've always been here to stop them before they get too bad. This ONLY seems to happen when one of them has a toy or chewy that the other wants and gets too close.

I'll also mention that Suki is a little small for a Corgi...she was the runt of her litter. And we get the impression that she had to fight to keep her food sometimes. She's particularly protective of chewies, bones, stuff like that. She never growls or snaps at us...we can get our face right down in hers and take her food or chewies away. It's ONLY with Ein.

What makes this so frustrating is she doesn't do it all the time. They can play with each other for hours, with toys, eat their chewies and not have a problem. Then out of nowhere...boom...she goes after him. When we do play with them inside...we are usually playing fetch with our multitude of toys. And the other always want's what the other has. So when we play fetch it's always both of them wanting to go get the same toy. And that's "usually" when something like this happens. Suki also has a tendency to, once she has the toy, put it in Ein's face until he tries to take it from her then she runs away. She actually teases him with it.

Should we play with them seperately, or is there a way to teach them to wait their turns and share better? Any advice at all would be appreciated.
Owdb1tch

Post by Owdb1tch »

Dogs don't do sharing and they don't do fair. They do MINE.

So play in a way that does not involve one dog having something the other wants, and separate the dogs or supervise them if they are eating/chewing/playing with toys. If anything is escalating towards confrontation, distract and substitute the wanted items with others equally valuable.

Take them for lots of walks together, and they will be fine. Walks are much nicer than games for dogs.
Find the cause, find the cure.

A dog is never 'bad' or 'naughty'. It is simply behaving like a dog.