Trouble Getting Dog Into The Car

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Gordiesmom

Trouble Getting Dog Into The Car

Post by Gordiesmom »

I'm back for more advice, since I always find the best tips here.
Gordie, our 7 month old Belgian. Weighs 66lbs already and stand 25" high. When we first got him I took him everywhere with me and he was becoming very well socialized. Once he started to get big for me to lift I started just walking dowtown every two days and so he was still well socialized. then I broke two toes and was unable to walk him while I waited for them to heal. Now we come to the real issue. Gordie WILL NOT GET IN THE CAR BY HIMSELF.
I've tried the go find game and he'll get into the car far enough to reach the treat, treats I put out of his way he will NOT go after. I have a Dodge Durango and he has on two other occasions jumped in on his own. But that's it. I do the go find game at least three times a week for 15 minute segments.
The reason I'm posting this now as I sadly have to go back to work after being off for nine months. So yesterday I interviewed several doggie daycares. I found one I think he will do very well at. He will only go two days a week, as my fiance can be home several times during the day to look after Gordie. He needs to be socialized because he is showing signs of being way to dependant on me and way to attached. When I leave him home with anyone he paces the whole time and looks for me. So realizing this is not good we chose to put him in daycare twice a week.
How do I tackle the car thing?
Living in Michigan and dealing with snow in a full business suit and having to lift the dog in and out of the car is going to be tough.
Any ideas how to overcome this?

Thanks again for always giving good advice.
Kimberly Ward

Re: Trouble Getting Dog Into The Car

Post by Kimberly Ward »

Have you tried siiting in the back seat with treats and calling him up? Also does he have problem with jumping up on anything else? I have a dog that has a hard time because its painfull.
There is no such thing as a bad dog, just ignorant owners.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Assuming there are no pain issues (important point: thanks Kimberley) and there is no discomfort when he is in the car eg from exhaust fumes, then train him to jump on and off a similar-height safe stable non-slip surface. Clicker training is great for this, or you could see if he will jump on (to one command) and off (to a different command) for a reward.

When this is thoroughly learned, proof it in different places on and off different things.

Then when you aren't going anywhere and aren't in a hurry, open all the car doors and the boot/trunk if that is where you want him, sit there in the car with him on a long lead, read a book and ignore him totally. Be prepared to spend a long time like that.

IF he jumps in the car, reward him and go back to your book for a few pages, then get out and take him into the house. If he does not, ignore him, read for another half hour and ask again. Next day take him there, sit with your book and after a few minutes, ask him to jump into the car. If he does, reward and ask him to jump out, then go in the house. If he doesn't, read your book for half an hour, then ask again. Otherwise ignore him. Do this no more than once a day until he is jumping in and out of the car to your commands.

This all takes time as it has to go at his pace, but it will work in the end.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Beckyyy

Post by Beckyyy »

Also, have you tried feeding him in the car?

Just taking him out there at meal times, and giving him an 'Up' command then putting his bowl in the car. If he hops in praise him, let him at his dinner and let him get out afterwards if he doesn't seem comfortable.