Startling noises

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

j-f

Startling noises

Post by j-f »

This is what happened with us today: my dog hopped out of car, we were gonna enjoy a nice walk in a park, without leash. Then, 30 seconds later there is some kind of noise that reminds me of a plane going through the air somewhere far, not very loud but still a sound. My dog ran quickly back to the car. I took out my cheese bits and clicker, went to my dog, clicked for turning head towards me or looking at me. At first she took the cheese, later not, although the noise had stopped already. I decided to put him on leash and just walk, maybe he would calm down. He walked with me, but still nervous. I guess he thought it's better than just standing and being nervous. Then we got in the car and went home.

So here's a general question (maybe it would help others too): What to do when walking outside, your dog hears a startling noise and gets nervous, when it's a new noise and you haven't had any time to desensitize or change the dog's emotional response?
Sarah83

Re: Startling noises

Post by Sarah83 »

I give Rupert the freedom to go and sniff when he gets nervous about something while we're out. He isn't all that interested in food or toys at the best of times, when he's had a fright there's no chance of him being interested. I also laugh at him and tell him what a big baby he is. Sounds mean but it really seems to help him.