Stuck in a trick

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

shdyldy

Stuck in a trick

Post by shdyldy »

Hello,
I have a 4 month old Peekapoo and he's very smart so far. Can sit, shake, lay down and crawl. I started to teach him peek-a-boo where I present the Cheerio and he turns his head and he started doing it pretty quick. Now every time I try to teach something else like bang or sit up he keep turning his head. It's just pitiful, lol! I want to reward him but I didn't say peek-a-boo. He's confused and I feel so bad for him, he thinks he did something right :( I bought a clicker today and thought that might help but not so far.
What can I do to un-stick him!?!?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Deb
Fundog

Re: Stuck in a trick

Post by Fundog »

Use a different tidbit, instead of a Cheerio, for the new tricks.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

First, stop presenting the treat. You don't want a dog who's dependent on seeing the food to obey you and luring with food can so often create that probelm if you're not careful. If you absolutely MUST use a food lure to teach something it needs to be faded out within a few repetitions. Secondly, your presenting the treat has become a cue for him to turn his head away, naturally he's going to keep doing it because that's what you've taught him.

Teach him to target the palm of your hand for a treat (most dogs will sniff your hand if you offer it to them, click and give him a treat when he does so). Once he'll target the palm of your hand and follow it you can use that to lure him into position. I find this MUCH easier to convert to just a hand signal than a food lure is. If you can't keep bending low enough to use your hand then get him to target something else, you can buy proper target sticks but I started Rupert off with a wooden spoon. Again, I didn't use any food lure to teach this, just held out the target object to him and clicked and treated when he went to sniff it.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Aim to get a stronger behaviour and connection in the dog's head before asking for the behaviour. I recently taught Jasper 'shy boy' (covers his face with his paw) by sticking post-it notes on his nose and clicking and rewarding when he tried to rub them off. When he got the idea that putting his paw over his face got him a reward, I introduced the command but for a long time just said the command as he did the action rather than ask for it. Then, within a session, once he knew that the 'lesson for today' was covering his face with his paw, I'd start asking for the behaviour and only rewarded when I had asked. Once he'd got this firm link in his head he was able to differentiate it from other commands.

But I get lazy, and having got that chuffed feeling of teaching a new trick, slackened off and as a result he'll sometimes often offer a different behaviour. Invariably he'll forget what he's meant to do just when I say to someone 'Look what my dog can do!' which serves me right for showing off :lol:

The only other thing worth thinking about is how calm and focused your dog is at the time. If I ask Jasper for a random command before giving him his tea he'll get in such a tizzy he'll offer sit, bow, paw, spin and pretty much anything else he knows because all he can think about is food :lol:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
shdyldy

Post by shdyldy »

Thanks for all the suggestions.....I started using a wooden spoon for a target stick, click & treat and he got it right away! I will start to fade the stick in the next few days/weeks and see how that goes. I've been watching some videos so I make sure I have it right. Glad I found this forum!
Deb