Water fountain

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Lucylulu

Water fountain

Post by Lucylulu »

I just got a kitty water fountain for my new kitty I am getting in december. I like the idea of fresh water and would love lucy to drink out of it too. Any advice on that?
The kitty isn't coming until december so i figured I'd set it up now so that she can get used to it being there. I am leaving her bowl of water out for now so that she can still drink.
Lucy is a bit scared of running water because she hated baths, but I think she'll get used to it. Any way to get her to drink from it?
jacksdad

Re: Water fountain

Post by jacksdad »

Just leave it out and let Lucy discover it on her own. Continue to leave her water bowl down too. nothing says there can only be one source of water for your dog in the house. I leave out 2 bowels of water for my dog in 2 different places in the house. If Lucy uses the water fountain she uses it, if she doesn't she doesn't. but there would always be the bowl option for her.

Besides, there is no guarantee that the cat is going to like the water fountain AND there is no guarantee that Lucy and the cat are going to be "friends" to the point Lucy isn't trying to chase the cat all the time thus preventing the cat from being able to drink from the fountain.
Erica

Re: Water fountain

Post by Erica »

Our cats and dogs share a bowl of water, but the cats also have their own - a flower vase - up on the counter, away from the dogs. :) They seem to like the shape of the vase for drinking out of.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14