Leave it training works! I'm very impressed

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shepherd103

Leave it training works! I'm very impressed

Post by Shepherd103 »

Yesterday my collie, was a full on barking dog. I was informed by my neighbors that he was nipping the kids when they put their hands through our fence. My mum told me I have to do something. I decided to do some " leave it" training. Within five minuets he knew it! And I put a big hunk of meat out to test him and I told him to leave it! He left it alone! Now everytime he gets worked up that the neighbors are leaning on our fence, or our neighbors are coming down the drive or the birds are there! I say leave it, he intantly stops and comes back to me and he compleatly leaves it alone. He was so quiet last night and not a single bark today!
Things that use to bother him doesn't anymore, including large bangs! He just ignores it as if he were deaf! But he is still our guard dog, which we want, he only barks with strange people coming to the house or knocking on the front door, but at least he is keeping our neighbors happy!

I watched one of Victoria's video's with a dog and the bikes, and she did leave it training. I am very impressed- but it is so unusually quiet! :lol:
Persevere, hang on till the end. Don't quit, keep going!
Shepherd103
emmabeth

Re: Leave it training works! I'm very impressed

Post by emmabeth »

Good stuff - keep up the good work though because a constant annoyance like kids putting their hands through the fence or people winding him up will prove hard to ignore forever. So go out there and pair people doing stuff, with YOU being super rewarding and giving him good thigns to do. This will set him up so that not only does he leave such things, but he wants to come and find you, because 'this stuff happening' now means 'my Mom wants me to do stuff'.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Shepherd103

Post by Shepherd103 »

emmabeth wrote:Good stuff - keep up the good work though because a constant annoyance like kids putting their hands through the fence or people winding him up will prove hard to ignore forever. So go out there and pair people doing stuff, with YOU being super rewarding and giving him good thigns to do. This will set him up so that not only does he leave such things, but he wants to come and find you, because 'this stuff happening' now means 'my Mom wants me to do stuff'.

Yes I give him heaps of praise and a reward! :D
Persevere, hang on till the end. Don't quit, keep going!
Shepherd103
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Dear Heaven, what appalling neighbours you have - and their children are candidates for Darwinism. :twisted:

Kudos to you for not rising to their ineffable stupidity. They should never have bred.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS