Is this aggressive behavior? How do I stop it?

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

sodapop

Is this aggressive behavior? How do I stop it?

Post by sodapop »

My 16 week old male golden came home to two dachshunds. One of my dachshunds, Soda who is 2yrs male, is having a problem with the pup. The pup is too rough with the dachshund. Lately, (I understand he's trying to be dominant) the pup has been standing/walking over him and barking at him. The dachshund is very submissive and isn't putting up much of a fight. When we leave we put a baby crate up to separate the smaller dogs from the pup. We got a spray bottle to squirt him with (which the trainer recommended), which stops him until the next time it happens Just now the pup walked over him and tried to PEE ON HIM!
Please tell me how long until this stops, how to monitor it until it stops, and what it is exactly.
They're both male (if that matters).
I don't want the golden into the habit of doing this. I don't want my dachshund feeling afraid to go outside because he's being "picked on." WE DO EXERCISE THE PUP. Trust me, he gets a lot of attention, walks, and praise.
How do I make sure my doxin doesn't get hurt? How do I get my golden to play "nicer"?
Thank you!
Eider

Re: Is this aggressive behavior? How do I stop it?

Post by Eider »

Ok, i haven't read the hole post, but first of all, change trainer, seriously, tha spry bottle thing won't do anything but harm. (now i'm gonna read the rest of it)
Eider

Post by Eider »

Ok, read. First of all, the puppies get a free license to do whatever they want until their 4 months, so yours is still on that time, so all the corrections you're making at this point, you should stop them. if he's doing unpolite behaviour (and always keep in mind that what we find polite, dogs really don't understand it that way), show him the right behaviour by rewarding when it happens, and just ignore the rest, even a stop is a kind of attention so breathe deeply. of course if he's chewing one of your shoes (silly example, just to get the idea), change it for something he can chew, like a dog bone apropriatte for his mouth, a chewing toy or whatever, showing him that your show isn't a toy, and what he can chew, just coz puppis do chew a lot.

I wouldn't use the terms dominant and submissive, they don't really exist in nature the way we understand those words. the puppy it's just playing around,a dn for own experience, sometimes is better that he learn his boundaries trhough the dogs he lives with, if he gets too annoying, the others would tell. anyways, there's not good that he's playing rough all the time, so always keepan eye on them, and if it gets too energetic, try to short it out with some treat or some other way, and also would be good that they get used to be in separate rooms, so they can have time for themselves.

sometimes paying too much attention, talking a lot to them, poting too much, being so protective, and play a lot with toys that can have an obsession good it's not always good, so keep to under control.

but if you're with a trainer, i'd really suggest you change, maybe some1 in here anca tell you the name of a good one in your area. i'd focuse on positive trainers, and would make sure they're rally positive, coz the spary thing, doesn't sound positive at all to me.

but be patient, you know how puppies are, and hopefully some1 here can make you some better advices.
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Have to agree, stop with the spray. It's not working. Sounds like a typical pup who needs to learn some manners to me. I don't think he's trying to be dominant,he's a baby and probably wants to play! I think he's trying to interact with your Dachshund but has absolutely no idea how to do so. Or has learned that this behaviour works to get him attention (bad attention is better than no attention!) either from you or the dog. I'd distract him before he starts with this sort of behaviour to be honest. Play with him with a toy or something. If you can't be directly supervising seperate them so he doesn't get a chance to practice this behaviour. The more he practices it the more he'll do it. I wouldn't ignore it as it sounds as though you think it's stressing your Dachshund out. Just change the subject by doing something with him or remove him for a few seconds (ONLY a few seconds!).

Just out of curiosity, is it just the one Doxie he's like this with? If so what does the other one do differently?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

A big size difference means your dachshund could end up really badly hurt. You'd be wise to kep them separate any time you can't directly supervise, and create a space that the dachshunds can get into to be safe and the goldie can't. During adolescence, most goldies are real clumsies, and you can't risk your smaller dogs.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS