Shadow won't come

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

julifostermom

Shadow won't come

Post by julifostermom »

We have just adopted a three year-old husky who, other than one small problem, seems to be the dream dog. We've had huskies before so we know their particular issues...boredom (need three walks a day), independence (good, but a problem if they won't listen), and escapism. The problem we have with Shadow is that he will not come to us when we call him. Yesterday, my husband left the door to the garage open and the garage door open and Shadow took off. When we found him running through the neighborhood, he would not come when we called. He would look at us, came to me once, but before I could grab his collar, took off again. Suggestions?
ladybug1802

Re: Shadow won't come

Post by ladybug1802 »

Hi...how long have you had him? And what training have you done with him to work on his recall so far?
Erica

Post by Erica »

Start small and with few distractions and big rewards. Coming to you from three feet away when he was already heading toward you = piece of meat. If you'd like, you could add a sit to the end of the recall so that eventually, huskies being intelligent, he'll learn that "come" means come to you and sit down. That would give you a better chance of being able to grab him. :) Otherwise, yeah, just start the recall training over, and don't call him unless you're 95% sure he'll come.

I read a great dog training book ("The Dog Whisperer: Complete Nonviolence in Dog Training" or something like that) that said in each step of training, add only one of the three D's: Distance, Distraction, or Duration. Only go to the next step (adding one of the three D's) when your dog does the behavior on the first cue 8/10 times. That might be helpful to keep in mind. :)
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I agree with the above. Plus, start in the house, then move to the garden, and only then to outside areas, using a long line. Treat him when he comes to you and unless you really have to get him on lead, let him go & play again so he doesn't associate recall with the end of the walk/game.

A technique I've heard of for lurchers uses their hunting instincts so I don't know if it would work with recall, but you first teach them 'find it' and then, when they come to you, throw a treat a few feet away and ask them to find it (once they have the idea you can throw it into long grass so it's more of a challenge). The idea is that they are in hunting mode, will think you have found something, and that you need them to help complete the hunt.

Never scold him for not coming back - if he thinks he's in for a telling-off he's less likely to return to you!
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
julifostermom

Post by julifostermom »

We've only had him a month. We haven't done any training with him so far because he obeys virtually every other command. He sits, lays down, comes to us in the house, walks wonderfully on a leash so we haven't worked with him at all. I was just reading about clicker training and think that might be a way to work with him on the come command.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

julifostermom wrote:We've only had him a month. We haven't done any training with him so far .....
It is important to remember just because your dog is 3, doesn't mean it's knows "stuff" like recall (coming back when called) or other "commands", or even that going to the bathroom needs to happen outside. I know your not indicating that as a problem it's often a "surprise" that it has to be taught to an adult dog. Sometimes adult dogs also need us to go back and teach things we typically associate as only needing done with puppies. Particularly with rescue dogs with unknown history.

So, just because your dog is showing familiarity with some behaviors such sit and down doesn't mean it knows about coming to you when called. And being willing to come to you inside is completely different than coming to you outside with all kinds of distractions when actually called.

Then there is the issue of only knowing you for about a month. you may feel bonded to your dog a whole lot stronger than your dog feels towards you. it's not uncommon for rescue dogs to take 6 months or more to really and truly feel at home, safe, secure, bonded etc. to their new home and people. When I got my dog he appeared to bond to my self and wife in a matter of days. looking back, it actually took closer to the better part of a year for him to really feel safe, secure, build trust and so forth so. Which goes into teaching recall. Your dog has to not only learn that when X word is used that it means stop what your doing and return to your person, but doing so is safe 100% of the time (verse one time it was fun, but another time it was to be punished, but then it was for fun but then it was punished etc) and rewarding.

So there are two root issues here. one, only had him for a month. Two, you haven't done any training. So it really shouldn't be a surprise that he isn't coming back when called. Nor anything to panic about. it's just something to be worked on. here is a really good thread about teaching recall. viewtopic.php?f=20&t=7155

Until you have a good foundation for calling your dog back, your going to need to manage the situation. really watch so he doesn't run off when doors get opened and when out on walks long leashes (15 foot to 25 foot) are very nice for giving that compromise between being on leash and having something close to the freedom of being off leash. don't use retractable leashes at this point, it's too dangerous to you and the dog.