Weeing in the house

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

LinsB

Weeing in the house

Post by LinsB »

Hiya I have 2 female Staffies, one 18month old is weeing in the house?! We have always had problems with her and had to let her have 2 seasons before getting her spayed as her bladder was too high? She is fine over night and can go 8-9 hours no problems but as soon as we leave them she wee's!!! I clean up with biological cleaner every time but it isnt stopping her, she actually wee'd in front of me the other day and just looked at me when i shouted to distract her!!! She is praised every time she goes outside but it makes no difference.
She is a very timid dog and will chew if left for too long, so my daughters or my dad come down and let her out 2-3 times a day whilst we are at work. Sometimes she is dry and other times she will wee numerous times?
She is a lovely dog in every other way, well behaved when out, no signs of aggression or any behaviour issues, and such a lovely little character, we are beginning to wonder if she has incontinence issues?
Help???
Shepherd103

Re: Weeing in the house

Post by Shepherd103 »

Alot of dogs wee in the house or chew things when their owners are out, its because they are under stress.
Their " Mummy has gone out!" and they don't know what to do. Try to leave a treat out for her to help keep her mind off it.
Also, make yourself look like your going out. Have your keys and your shoes on. Put the dog outside, and close the door, make yourself a cup of coffee or tea, and sit down for 30 seconds to 1 minuet. Then let the dog back inside and praise her well. You can do this once everyday, and after three days start to lengthen the time slowly.If you feel a need to start again from 30 seconds to 1 minuet then feel free to do so.
Persevere, hang on till the end. Don't quit, keep going!
Shepherd103
chay

Re: Weeing in the house

Post by chay »

also something to keep in mind, dogs (just like humans) bodies slow down overnight, so just because she is dry overnight, doesn't mean she is choosing to go more in the day - you can probably also go overnight without peeing, but can you go an entire day at work (with cups of tea/coffee/snacks etc in between) without visiting to loo? i certainly couldn't! :P