When telling off - what do YOU do?

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

doggymama

When telling off - what do YOU do?

Post by doggymama »

Hey guys,

My previous problem with barking/nervous puppy has thankfully improved thanks to consistent training and great support from this forum. Baby steps, but she is not as bad as she used to be. When I say puppy - she is 11 months now, but I will refer to her as ''puppy'' in this post.
I am still confused as I previously was convinced she is nervous (like when she won't people let them touch her/jumps when someone comes near/growls etc) but she is at the same time a very confident and bossy dog, I don't think she is nervous out of actual fear - maybe just scatty?
Anyway, things have been improving BUT we had a bit of a wobble today and I'm left feeling quite sad, with a feeling of 'failure'. This day started off as particularly stressful - had to drive OH to the airport, a 45min drive there & back and the dogs came with me - but for some reason were whining all the way (setting each other off) being restless etc. They usually love car journeys so this was weird in general.
I came home to find my cat is well, limping very badly on one leg (suspect she might have been hit by a car). The vet was fully booked and asked me to monitor kitty & bring her in tomorrow (or to emergency vet today if kitty gets worse). I had to give my cat it's undivided attention because of this, to keep her inside, put her in a warm, quiet place with her food/water, but my puppy would have none of it! She kept butting in as I was trying to feed kitty, jumped on the cat and then jumped on me - scratching me in the face. I stayed calm all along but had to put my dog in the crate while I tried to make kitty comfortable. This made the situation worse - puppy was whining, barking and jumping up & down in the cage, throwing herself at the cage as if it was the end of the world. I tried to ignore her but it's hard to stay totally cool when you have an injured cat that is also visibly getting affected by the doggy madness PLUS my other dog was getting stressed because of the puppy's behaviour. All the firm ''no''/''quiet'' etc commands did absolutely nothing. She was worked up into a state and I didn't know how to snap her out of it. My CAT needed my full attention and I couldn't give it to her because puppy girl was stressing out everyone in the house - so the situation quickly became all about HER. I even got a scratch in my face because of it!

My question is - when your dog is clearly misbehaving and not listening, what method/words/actions do you use to let him/her know that it's unacceptable? I feel it's similar to the barking issue, which I have under control because I shut the puppy away when she starts. This attention seeking drama queen behaviour is part of her personality but at the moment I can't even stroke the cats (we have 2) without her wanting to butt in and get my attention. If she doesn't she'll jump up and scratch my face or start scratching or digging into my arm/legs. Should I use the same method as when she's barking excessively? Ie, shut her out?

At the moment she acts confident enough to take situations in her own hands, and I'm having a big job keeping her in check. This evening on our walk, she spotted a group of youths standing around. I didn't want to draw our attention to them especially but my puppy did it for me, by growling loudly, barking and lunging at them as we walked by. When I'm out in public and don't have doors to close and places to shut her away in - what do i do?

What methods do your dog respond to the best? What do you do when your dogs is clearly out of order? I always praise them in a loving, friendly & happy voice and when I say 'no' or 'quiet' I use a low, firm voice. She knows when she's done something wrong but I still have the problem of 'snapping her out of it' when she goes into that state of mind where she doesn't listen, see or hear me, she takes the situation into her own hands and just makes it all about her. (in my eyes!)

If anything I feel better writing this post, I've felt awful all day and a bit like I've gone a few steps forward but many steps back. I know consistency is the key. I just felt I had things under control, and was ecstatic to see positive results - but now I kind of feel I lost some of my power.
She is a pushy, loud and attention seeking dog in general - it's in her genes because her dad is also a struggle. My breeder advised me to stay strong and always keep her in check even if it means raising my voice and being firm with her. I have to keep her in check pretty much 24/7 though and it's getting tiring. She constantly pushes boundaries and even if we've had a week of excellent behaviour - as soon as I'm in another room, she'll seek out houseguests to bully them. So I need to constantly run after her to keep her in check. Yeah, I feel a bit useless right now. This forum is a comfort to have.

My babies are sleeping in their basket right now and I've decided that today is a write off. Finding strength and patience for tomorrow.

Thanks all - any advise appreciated.

Who said raising a puppy would be easy?! Seriously it's one of the biggest challenges of my life!
emmabeth

Re: When telling off - what do YOU do?

Post by emmabeth »

You have had a tough day, lots and lots of stress and your dogs WILL pick up on this.

I have to say here, nothing about her behaviour is suggesting that she ISNT fearful of people - some dogs DO take action, rather than shy away, when fearful so please PLEASE continue to treat her as if it is fear. If it ISNT, you will do no harm. If it IS fear and you treat her as if shes confident it will make her worse.

As for 'telling her off' - nope. Where is the point, she doesn't know it is bad to attention seek, she doesnt know it is bad to not like whatever is happening.

This is partly a management problem, partly a training thing.

Firstly if i had an injured cat, I would have put the CAT in the crate rather than the puppy! Then cat is safe, secure, warm and cosy with all she needs, and puppy can have your attention.

Long term, teach puppy a 'settle down' sort of cue, so that you can tell her what she SHOULD be doing, rather than trying to tell her off for what she is doing wrong. Much easier for her to grasp 'i must go lie on this bed and maybe ill earn a treat for it' than 'im getting told off, but i need this and i want that and i dont know what ELSE to do'.

What I would do if i need to tell a dog their behaviour is inappropriate, is to use a time out, ie, out of the room for ten seconds, back in, repeat as necessary - but that does require you to be able to drop what you are doing (which you couldnt) to do it consistently, and if you cant be consistent there is no point starting doing time outs for something.

Another option if you have a dog pestering when you are busy is to give them soemthing to do, such as a bone or a kong.

Really, its all about learning how to manage, and teaching your dog a few skills. If i was home with two antsy dogs and an injured cat, the first thing I would do is occupy the dogs out of the way with something fun to do - then get on with dealing with the cat.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
chay

Post by chay »

doggymama wrote:She knows when she's done something wrong but I still have the problem of 'snapping her out of it' when she goes into that state of mind where she doesn't listen, see or hear me, she takes the situation into her own hands and just makes it all about her. (in my eyes!)
emmabeth wrote: As for 'telling her off' - nope. Where is the point, she doesn't know it is bad to attention seek, she doesnt know it is bad to not like whatever is happening.
i think this bit is really important, as it can change to way you look at things and by extension, the way you approach finding a "solution" to things.

you hit the nail on the head when you say in brackets, "in your eyes" - your dog doesn't know what she's doing is wrong. everything makes sense to her, even if WE can see (as the humans with the huge big squishy brains) that her actions aren't entirely necessary or appropriate. therefore, it's actually up to US to show her something more suitable to do than fuss the cat, or yell at the kids in the park.

you have already mentioned you are having progress, so that is awesome! it's easy to get frustrated and caught up in 'setbacks' but just take some time out for you both to chill (easier said, i know) and get back into it. the less you get caught in the thoughts of 'she knows this is wrong, why isnt she listening to me arrgh!' the more you can focus on 'ok dog, instead of doing that why don't you come and do this instead' which makes it a much more constructive experience for BOTH of you than any sort of "telling off" is.
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Oh gosh, what a trauma to come home and find your kitty hurt that way. I love my cats just as much as I do my dogs, so I can easily imagine how stressful that was for you.

Everything Emmabeth says makes perfect, logical sense and it will help you to be prepared if there's ever another similarly stressful incident to cope with in the future. BUT . . . in the "heat of the moment", especially when one of our beloved pets is hurt, we just don't think as clearly in the moment as we might otherwise. You did the best you could at the time under the circumstances.

Perhaps it would have been best to put kitty safely in the carrier and cope with the dog, but if you're like me, you wanted to be with your kitty and give her comfort in her time of need. (One of my cats would need that if hurt or traumatized - he's very needy! :D My other two cats, less so. They're more "cat-like" and like to be left alone when stressed and/or hurt.)

Anyway, I guess my whole point is that you did the best you could in trying to help your kitty that night and perhaps your dog did suffer a bit, but life goes that way sometimes. Dogs, like kids, are pretty resilient and I know you'll get things back on track soon. :D
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
doggymama

Post by doggymama »

Thanks Emmabeth, Chy and Suzette.

With my cat - she is a very people nervous cat and she won't let ANYONE come too close. She's been known to literally run across the walls at the vet surgery in panic. She had her leg pulled out of it's socket by some kids when she was a kitten and is very nervous around people as a result. When I realised she had a bad leg she wanted to get out & was already in the garden, so I needed to trap her to keep her in. It's hard to do that, focus, be patient and calm while a dog is going berserk in the background because she doesn't get the attention she wants. When I finally got hold of kitty I put her in a room upstairs. The thing is with the cat is, she hates being handled or put in a cage (hates the carrier, she gets so stressed). I would worry she'd injure herself more trying to get out. I know my cat so I knew I had to get kitty upstairs to a safe haven.
So that was all cool - but that triggered my confusion as to what I should have done in that situation.

Don't get me wrong, with the puppy we are doing good. I can tell her 'no' (if she's about to nick something, or if she's about to chase one of the cats). She understands. The problem seem to be that she can't stand seeing another pet getting attention. She always wants it too and gets upset if she doesn't get any. Usually (especially with friends & family), if they are having a cuddle with my other dog, or the cats and puppy butts in and demands affection, people usually give it to her. Today I was in a situation where I needed her to listen to my command to her, and respect it for the safety of everyone.

Although we've been given her Kongs, Nylabones and all the recommended puppy toys and treats she has shown no interest in them. She never even chewed the kong (not even with treats inside it). The nylabone has been untouched. She only likes one toy which belongs to the cats - a wind-up guinea pig that she loves chasing. As well as my partners slippers. Believe me, I do spend a lot of time entertaining my dogs, walking them - they get a lot of exercise for such small dogs. When we are at home though, they are my little shadows, which I love but sometime the puppy displays a borderline obsessive-ness over me when I give attention to the other furries. We'd like to be able to spend more time cuddling the cats without hell breaking loose.

When I realised puppy girl was getting out of hands, I did put her and my other dog in their safe area (crate). But I think because she saw me with kitty she wanted to be there and nothing would distract her, not even her favorite Schmackers treat. (it was left trodden on!). My poor older dog just sits there looking annoyed!

I've gone through a lot positive reinforcement training and it works brilliantly on my 6 year old rescue dog (who said you can't teach old dogs new tricks?) but doesn't seem to work as well with the puppy. I will research some more toys/games and work on Distractions. Thanks guys for that advise! She doesn't chase balls either so it's not as easy as just throwing a ball, but I will carry on finding suitable things for her to play with. It is good advise. I have been wondering why shes not very interested in toys. Sometimes, randomly out of the blue, my older dog will grab an old sock and they will play tug-a-war for 30 mins, obsessing over it.

And like I said we've had some amazing progress. It's just a day like this I could have done with having an (even just ever so slightly!) obedient dog, just to help me out. I know she doesn't do things to annoy me, she is very eager to please. I just thought there has got to be many people out there (with kids/babies for example) who has to multi task sometimes. I hardly ever do it which is why I was confused as to what to actually do. If all of my attention was on puppy girl only, I wouldn't be on this forum this evening. But my cats are high priority too.

I spent an hour this evening grooming puppy girl - she's wire coated and needs to be handstripped. It was a nice, relaxed session just the 2 of us and we both enjoyed it. A nice way to end today. Kitty is still upstairs but she's going to the vets first thing in the morning.

Thanks guys for wise words and reassuring thoughts.
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

doggymama wrote:And like I said we've had some amazing progress. It's just a day like this I could have done with having an (even just ever so slightly!) obedient dog, just to help me out. I know she doesn't do things to annoy me, she is very eager to please. I just thought there has got to be many people out there (with kids/babies for example) who has to multi task sometimes. I hardly ever do it which is why I was confused as to what to actually do. If all of my attention was on puppy girl only, I wouldn't be on this forum this evening. But my cats are high priority too.
That's why I love Emmabeth's suggestion to teach a "calm" command or a "settle down" cue. Your post and her repsonse helped me realize that I need to teach this to my puppy now -- long before I need it should a stressful situation arise. :D
doggymama wrote:I spent an hour this evening grooming puppy girl - she's wire coated and needs to be handstripped. It was a nice, relaxed session just the 2 of us and we both enjoyed it. A nice way to end today. Kitty is still upstairs but she's going to the vets first thing in the morning.
That grooming session sounds very relaxing and like a lovely bonding time with your pup! :D

I hope all is well with your kitty and she heals quickly.
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

From reading your post your dog DOES sound fearful....in particular growling, lunging and barking at the group of youths. It is easy to see this as confidence, because we as humans would imagine if a dog was fearful, it would skulk behind us and try to hide from the people....but in actual fact, she is scared of this group of people, and is trying to send them away by barking and lunging at them. My dog used to do exactly the same.

I would also not bother keep saying 'no' or bother about 'telling off'....I would just put her in a different room where she cant see kitty if it is exciting her that much. It might be making her more excitable that she is in her crate and can see everything, but cant get to it. This is what I have found with my dog....jhe adores his crate, but if, for example, people come round (which is his stressful time!) and he goes in his crate and can stil see them come in...he gets over stressed. But now I put him in a separate room for 20 mins after they come round, then bring him out - much calmer.
doggymama

Post by doggymama »

Suzette wrote:
doggymama wrote:
That's why I love Emmabeth's suggestion to teach a "calm" command or a "settle down" cue. Your post and her repsonse helped me realize that I need to teach this to my puppy now -- long before I need it should a stressful situation arise. :D

That grooming session sounds very relaxing and like a lovely bonding time with your pup! :D

I hope all is well with your kitty and she heals quickly.
Yes - I just have to keep working on the Calm command. The difficult bit is for her to actually stay calm in her crate (which she loves) when she knows there's something else 'exciting' going on in another room.

Kitty is better - I saw her today running with no limp. So am thankful.
ladybug1802 wrote:From reading your post your dog DOES sound fearful....in particular growling, lunging and barking at the group of youths. It is easy to see this as confidence, because we as humans would imagine if a dog was fearful, it would skulk behind us and try to hide from the people....but in actual fact, she is scared of this group of people, and is trying to send them away by barking and lunging at them. My dog used to do exactly the same.
Yes I guess it does - but there is another confusion in regards to her ''fear'' - when we are OUTSIDE, she lets strangers come up to her, pet her, stroke her and play with her with no growling or any display of fear. She barked at the youths because they looked dodgy - and dogs are very good at spotting 'weird' behaviour. My other dog can spot an alcoholic miles away and will bark at people with hoodies. My puppys main ''fear'' is when we are indoors with new people around (or even people she already knows). I think she gets protective and territorial. if she was fearful of all humans, surely she wouldn't let strangers come up to us in the street?
I told myself not to think into this too much, and just carry on with the work, but a big part of me wants to understand this behaviour and what triggers it.

Thanks Ladybug - after reading all replies, including your post I will just carry on putting her in another room instead of try and tell her off. I guess I have to ''tune out'' the whining. She settles very quickly sometimes but it really depends on the situation.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Did you edit the title of your thread, OP? :lol:

So in light of the question, when I feel the need to "tell my dog off," I will say in a gentle, almost amused tone, "That was very naughty of you." While at the same time giving her an ear rub. She has no idea she was naughty, and I know this, so of course I don't want her to think I'm upset, which is why I'm careful in the way I say it-- but at least just saying it makes me feel better, without traumatizing my dog! :lol:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

It is still safer to treat her as if she is fearful, than not.

I would not let people fuss her in the street unless SHE instigates the contact, and make a big point of rewarding her massively for even seeing people, let alone being fussed by them. I would also limit the fussing so if shes met a couple of people, leave it at that.

In the house its a different context, so even if she IS totally fine with people outside, she could be fearful with people inside, inside is a different story.

It could be that shes not actually fine with people outside, but shes not confident enough to do anything about it, and indoors in her own home, she is.

Or maybe she is fine, but indoors she feels more trapped...

Or perhaps something has happened indoors that she doesnt associate with outdoors.

We may never know, but assuming she is fearful will do no harm, whether she is or not and regardless of why.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
doggymama

Post by doggymama »

Thanks Emmabeth. Yes I am treating it as fear - and always tell our houseguests to let her approach them etc. It's more the people that need training rather than my dog though - as almost every guest claim to be a ''dog person'' and appears to know what to do etc.
In the street and in the park, it's always my dog that goes up to people, and I make it very brief - as I never know whether she'll 'switch'. That's why it's a bit confusing. Our hourseguests have now stayed for 3 weeks and she is fine with them but it all has to be on HER terms (which by now, everyone realises!). BUT, each time one of our guests enter a room she is in, she WILL bark for a second. It's as if she's totally forgotten they're in the house. She is totally obsessed with one our (male) guests. I mean, she covers him in kisses and lays on him with her muzzle snuggled in his neck. The rest of our guests are also male, but my theory is that this guest in particular, reminds her of her daddy (my partner) -similar built/similarly dressed. Another guest she'll instigate play with, but when our guest actually responds to it and joins in her play, she'll get barky. The 3rd guest she chooses to bully - he's quiet and rather feminine. Luckily - all our guests ARE dog people so they do have a lot of patience with her and do not mind her barking/ignores her when she's too loud. There's not really a pattern - but when I notice she's on edge I take her into another room with me. If she barks for the sake of it I put her in another room. She is getting the message but can't help herself barking- she is a loud dog.
emmabeth wrote:
It could be that shes not actually fine with people outside, but shes not confident enough to do anything about it, and indoors in her own home, she is.

Or maybe she is fine, but indoors she feels more trapped...
I believe this is what is it. She IS a confident dog indoors, will run up to people, put her paw in their face and instigate play. But not let a guest do it to her! She is actually very forward/outgoing in general. Sometimes I think she sees herself as dominant too. Outdoors she is relaxed and loves running up to people and dogs to say hi.

Just remembered another question I have - when she wants to play she also barks! This is a certain bark that I recognise straight away - slightly high pitch. Do I let her bark to play? As when this happens she is usually in a pretty relaxed state and actually wants to chase someone or her guinea pig, and I don't want to stop her from doing something that essentially is, positive behaviour. I have never stopped her from doing this. When she's finally instigating play with someone she previously was fearful of, I see it as a positive thing. Is this the correct approach? As once she starts playing, she's having a great time.
doggymama

Post by doggymama »

Fundog wrote:Did you edit the title of your thread, OP? :lol:

So in light of the question, when I feel the need to "tell my dog off," I will say in a gentle, almost amused tone, "That was very naughty of you." While at the same time giving her an ear rub. She has no idea she was naughty, and I know this, so of course I don't want her to think I'm upset, which is why I'm careful in the way I say it-- but at least just saying it makes me feel better, without traumatizing my dog! :lol:
Ha ha, no didn't edit the thread - just wanted to know what other people do to stop unwanted behaviour, ie if you use a special word for it.

I am all for positive reinforcement training and this is what we practise at home. However, I also keep reading everywhere that it's important not to ''humanize'' a dog; when my other DOG has enough of puppy girl if she keeps jumping on him or pulling his tail, he'll snap, growl or snarl at her to stop, and she stops instantly and leaves him alone. This seems to be a language between my two dogs that works for them, which is why I assumed there would be a good way/word for us humans to use on the dog in a similar sense - obviously without shouting or being in any way threatening, but a sharp, short, firm ''no'' - or similar.