realy upset today

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

lassie

realy upset today

Post by lassie »

hi guys i have just bought lassie some new dry dog ffod and it wasnt cheap she wont touch i dont knoow what to do with her any more my boyfriend / family say rehome her has she is costing way too much money when i had my other dog
she was totaly fine with eating no problems at all now that other dog has gone lassie just wont eat the same i have binned the bakers and the wet food
can i have some adivice please has i realy dont want to rehome her realy upset
JudyN

Re: realy upset today

Post by JudyN »

Will she still eat the dry if you add some wet? If so, there's no reason why you shouldn't carry on doing that, and if the kennels object - well, ask them if they really want to be responsible for her becoming malnourished in their care.

You sound very stressed and part of the problem may be that Lassie is sensing that.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Take heart; dogs need time to grieve, just as people do. Rehoming a dog just because she won't eat and the food is getting expensive? I think your family is jumping the gun just a bit. Take a deep breath and maybe a walk by yourself to just muddle your thoughts around, and I'm sure you'll be seeing things in perspective again soon. :)

Meanwhile, there are things you can try, that won't cost a thing, to help make this very expensive food seem more appealing: when you have cooked vegetables for dinner, save some of the broth/water the veggies were cooked in, to put over her dinner. When you cook a roast, ladle up a spoonful of the drippings to put over her food, with a bit of warm water. When you make a soup, you can likewise put a spoonful of home made soup or stew on her food. This won't hurt her, it won't cost anything extra, and it just might help to rekindle her appetite. :)
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
lassie

Post by lassie »

thanks guys i have just give lassie some cooked chickecn and shes eaten the lot dry food too x
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

The others have given you some good advice...and am glad to hear she has eaten better this evening. I think its really sad your family are even considering rehoming her just because sh isnt eating well. :(
lassie

Post by lassie »

i found out the problem shes had a nother good meal cause she had a run again about 8pm and shes just eaten the lot again so shes had two good meal si think its cayuse i work and dont take her out for a run bbefore i go but thats goona change i been talking to a border collie owner when out walking lassie and she said try iams im just checking if thats a good dog food x and thannks for the vadvice it means a lot it realy does x
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Don't go switching foods again just yet-- repeated and frequent switching of foods can actually cause more finicky appetite problems. I think you've discovered the solution on your own: daily exercise before you leave for work, and put some yum-yums on her dinner. 8)
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

What food have you got her now?

I wouldnt change to Iams, it is expensive and not all that great.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Erica

Post by Erica »

Our dogs won't eat plain kibble either. They much prefer either some yummies (whatever non-spiced meat we have) or wet food...sometimes they go off of the wet food after a while, and we just switch to boiling chickens or cooking some plain hamburger meat to warm up and put on their food. Hope you can find something that continues to help your picky pup eat!
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
lassie

Post by lassie »

realy realy happy with lassie i went on holiday on friday i only went for 3 days lassie wasin kennels i took some beta and some wet food i told the kennels to put wet food in her kennels too and some beat when she gets hungery well she didnt even touch the wet food
she only eat the dry food realy pleased with her so shes of bakers and on to beat im just wondering if beta is a realy god dog food the kennels says its the best for her sort of dog buti have been told iams is realy good too buti dont want to change her food again hasi have come this all this way with her and shes doing realy good touch wood :) and you guys rock for helping me with her when i was down the other day
so thanks guys xxxx