10 week old puppy (just wonderd if anyone had any advice)

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Tanglewood

10 week old puppy (just wonderd if anyone had any advice)

Post by Tanglewood »

Hi

Yesterday I bought home my new puppy home called Jet. He is a black lab cross collie and is 10 weeks old :D He has a lovely temperament and as far as puppies go he is pretty chilled out!
I have had a dog before when I still lived with my mum but this is my first puppy to look after by myself.

Last night (his first night home) he barked and howled for a couple of hours untill he eventually settled down and slept for roughly 5 hours. I know this is to be expected becasue its new surroundings and he as only just left his mother and siblings. Last night I ignored his calls and eventually he did sleep but is there a better method to dealing with this?

Also my boyfriends parents (who we share our land with) have a Jack Russell (Harvey), im not sure of his age but he is a relativly young dog. Today was the dogs first encounter of each other and Jet kept barking at Harvey and they both seemed very uneasy with each other - both growling. I am assuming that over time they will become used to each other and that this will not be a problem?

Thankyou :D
Suzette

Re: 10 week old puppy (just wonderd if anyone had any advice)

Post by Suzette »

Congrats on your new puppy!

When I brought my corgi puppy home, she was 7 1/2 weeks old. She did cry the first few nights. I had her crate in my bedroom beside my bed, which I know helped her to feel a bit more secure. Also, (and I believe I got this from the Ian Dunbar site - link below) when she fussed the first night, I got up and sat beside her crate. Each time she was quiet, even for a moment, I fed her a tiny little bit of a high value treat and said "good girl" in a soft, soothing tone. When she fussed, I simply sat still and made no eye contact or spoke to her. Young as she was, it didn't take her long to figure out that being quiet was more rewarding than being noisy. Once I knew she got the concept, I waited a bit longer when she was quiet each time before treating her. Within about ten minutes or so, she was laying down to fall asleep, much more relaxed.

I only had to do that the first two nights. The third night when she fussed a bit, I just calmly spoke a few soothing words and she settled down.

Anyway, that's my experience and how I handled it. I hope that info helps a bit. :D

As promised, here are two Ian Dunbar sites that someone here referred me to when I first got Piper. They are a great resource for new puppy owners! :D

http://www.dogstardaily.com/files/BEFOR ... 0Puppy.pdf

http://www.dogstardaily.com/files/AFTER ... 0Puppy.pdf
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
Tanglewood

Post by Tanglewood »

Hey

Thankyou very much :D I cant have him upstaires with me but I will give the treat thing a go! Hopefully it shouldnt take him too long to sleep through a night hehe
and thankyou for the links any help/advice is very much welcome .
doggiedad

Post by doggiedad »

is the dog only downstairs at night?
Tanglewood wrote:Hey

Thankyou very much :D >>>>I cant have him upstaires with me <<<<

but I will give the treat thing a go! Hopefully it shouldnt take him too long to sleep through a night hehe
and thankyou for the links any help/advice is very much welcome .
misskris

Post by misskris »

Tanglewood wrote: Yesterday I bought home my new puppy home called Jet. He is a black lab cross collie and is 10 weeks old :D He has a lovely temperament and as far as puppies go he is pretty chilled out. :D
Heehee just wanted to share that's what I thought about daisy when I first got her at 9weeks. She's a border collie X minpin. :mrgreen: Turns out she wasn't chilled, she was just getting used to her surroundings!!! Lol :x

Just wanted u to be well-informed so u don't get surprised in a couple days!

Also my best advice for the two dogs meeting each other is don't rush it cuz a bad experience at this point could affect ur pup negatively for a long time...I tried to make sure that all the dogs Daisy met at first were social and friendly. She has since then met some adult dogs who have not been friendly but luckily for us they let us know far in advance :wink:

Also at night I crated Daisy for a month. After that she slept on my bed because I knew she could be trusted while I was asleep. The first two weeks were pretty sleepless because I woke up every 3-4 hours to take Daisy out to pee. We kept making the time intervals longer and longer and by the time she was 14 weeks she was sleeping thru the night

Best of luck with ur pup...please keep us updated!! U will LOVE this forum. It has helped me TONS!!! (:
Tanglewood

Post by Tanglewood »

yes the puppy is kept down staires at night in a crate, I leave him with a few bits of puppy kibble and a kong full of treats so that he has something to occupy him while I go upstaires to bed.
Hehe ok thankyou 'misskris' hopefully he won't go too loopy when he gets used to his settings hehe!
Jet and Harvey are getting on well now, they are playing with each other and even sharing toys which is brilliant, jets still a little bit nervous around harvey but this is only their 2nd day together.
Last night he managed to sleep 7 hours before waking us up again at 6am. I think the home that I got him from used to give all their dogs breakfast at 6am so this maybe why. I am goin to try and push back the time each day untill it gets to 8am. Any suggestions for doing this? i tried to ignore him this morning but he was slowly getting louder with the howling.
And I will defo keep you updated hehe i love this forum its been really helpfull already x
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Tanglewood wrote:yes the puppy is kept down staires at night in a crate, I leave him with a few bits of puppy kibble and a kong full of treats so that he has something to occupy him while I go upstaires to bed.
Hehe ok thankyou 'misskris' hopefully he won't go too loopy when he gets used to his settings hehe!
Jet and Harvey are getting on well now, they are playing with each other and even sharing toys which is brilliant, jets still a little bit nervous around harvey but this is only their 2nd day together.
Last night he managed to sleep 7 hours before waking us up again at 6am. I think the home that I got him from used to give all their dogs breakfast at 6am so this maybe why. I am goin to try and push back the time each day untill it gets to 8am. Any suggestions for doing this? i tried to ignore him this morning but he was slowly getting louder with the howling.
And I will defo keep you updated hehe i love this forum its been really helpfull already x
My feeling is, that he's doing what he should be doing at 6 am, he's waking you up so he can go out and potty and not do it in his crate. :D Going 7 hours at night (which my pup does most nights, but not every night - she will still wake me every now and then in the middle of the night to go out and potty and that's fine with me!) is pretty good for a 10 week old puppy. When he cries at 6, he probably really needs to potty. Personally, I wouldn't worry about him going longer in the morning until he's a bit older and has more bladder control, then you can begin to let him go a bit longer in his crate each morning until you get him to a later 'start' time. :D Plus, you'll know your puppy so much better by then and have a much better read on when he's just 'talky' and when he 's telling you he really has to potty now. :D
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
Tanglewood

Post by Tanglewood »

thanks :D he is a lot better than I expected him to be. when my mum first got her dog he cried all night :D
Tanglewood

Post by Tanglewood »

he seems very attatched to me and cries when he can't see me even if my partner is in the room. any suggestions on how to stop him crying when I leave as I dont want this to develop into full blown separation anxiety amd he is going to have to be on his own during the day a couple of days a week from September :)
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I would set your alarm for half five, so put him to bed as late as possible, then up at half five to take him out to pee BEFORE he starts yelling for you.

Then as his ability to hold his bladder increases you can extend the time he sleeps for gradually, until he is going the whole night.

Expecting him to last a full night right now is like expecting a human baby to, its not going to happen, so it is better to pre-empt the problem and adjust your expectations accordingly.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
misskris

Post by misskris »

Tanglewood wrote:he seems very attatched to me and cries when he can't see me even if my partner is in the room. any suggestions on how to stop him crying when I leave as I dont want this to develop into full blown separation anxiety amd he is going to have to be on his own during the day a couple of days a week from September :)
There are some SUPER duper threads on separation anxiety and helping your pup get used to your departure...I'm not sure what section they're in though, as soon as I'm done writing this, I'll check and hotlink them for yah.

Basically, with Daisy, she just had to be broken in to my absence by me showing her that just because she couldn't see me, doesn't mean I'm not there. Same with your pup...it does take time. Daisy is 17 weeks and she still howls for about 5 minutes when she is first placed into her crate (we record her LOL), but she eventually does calm down. I think the most important piece of advice that I was given is to never ever open the crate and coddle them when the whining/howling/barking is occurring. My friend did this and it took her 7 YEARS to rid her dog of separation anxiety. YIKES. She said it was because she would have a hard time hearing the whining and the barking so she would go back and coddle, then the pup learns (or thinks) their whining/howling/barking brings you back and will do this activity until you return. We do NOT want that. :D hehe.

Another good piece of advice that I got that I still do daily is to tire them out, both physically and mentally, before crating them and/or leaving them alone. The more tired they are, the less time they have to think about being alone and without you. If you click on the "exercise for the mind" thread, you will find WONDERFUL ideas to tire Jet out mentally. You also already do what I do with Daisy - I give her a stuffed kong to keep her occupied so that our actual action of leaving the house (closing and locking the door, picking up my purse, etc.) is a positive experience for her because she has her kong-sicle to chew on. Also, another great thread...I'll try to post all three of the threads that I mentioned above. :)

kris
Tanglewood

Post by Tanglewood »

Hey
ok thanks il give setting my alarm to wake me up before he does a go :) but like I said in the thred before he is much better than I expected him to be :D i thought hed be crying all night hehe im so grateful that he doesn't I just wonderd what was the best way to go about making him get up later :)
kris thankyou very much those links will be brill. when you say 'she just had to be broken in to my absence by me showing her that just because she couldn't see me, doesn't mean I'm not there.' how do you mean? do u call to her from another room?
I have the last 2 days taken him out for a walk just before I put him to bed to help tire him out but i will definatly click on that exercise thred!

Liz