Traveling with dogs

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

missyfit13

Traveling with dogs

Post by missyfit13 »

This is not really a training question, but I am not sure where else to place it. I have a 14 yr old maltese poodle. I have just adopted 2 mini aussies. I posted under training another issue about the new dog and my old one having issues, so won't go into that here.

We are retired and travel in our motorhome (MH) frequently. My old dog hates it. He has always hated it. He is so happy when we come home. When we are parked, it is not so bad, but he is not happy the entire trip. The new dogs seem to really like it and feel comfortable with the MH. My daughter lives next door to me and my old dog goes over there all the time. If we leave for a couple of hours, he goes to the back fence, barks, and they let him in the yard/house. He sleeps with my granddaughter frequently if we have had to leave him overnight. Here's the question: We are thinking about leaving him with my daughter when we travel. We go sometimes for a month, but most often it is 1-2 weeks at a time.

Will he be happier staying home with his second family, or will he think we have abandoned him for the other two dogs. We are planning a trip in September and I just am torn about what to do.
Sarah83

Re: Traveling with dogs

Post by Sarah83 »

If he's not happy travelling then I'd leave him with your daughter.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I'd do that too.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I think him staying with your daughter is a great idea. If you want to be sure, what about a test weekend away where you are not too far away and can come back if he is pining for you badly after a few hours/day or so.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
missyfit13

Post by missyfit13 »

I've been thinking about that. I've left him before, but not since I got the 2 new dogs. They are getting along much better. Not playing, but sitting together, sleeping near each other on the floor, and today was the first day for a car ride. I took them for a short ride, and they were all in the back seat together. No problems!

The walk continues to go very well, except for loud motorcycles scaring us all to death!