Tip for dogs that get aggressive with the axe & the firewood

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shepherd103

Tip for dogs that get aggressive with the axe & the firewood

Post by Shepherd103 »

My dog ( Shepherd: 2yr old rough collie) use to get real aggressive when my father used the axe to chop the daily firewood during the winter.
He'd try to nip and bite. I decided to put him on the lead, and I stood tall, took a deep breath then began walking pass my father while he chopped wood. I made sure there was a distance of 4-5 metres between the dog and the firewood. The firewood was getting chopped on my left, and the dog was on my right, so he could feel more secure than being on the same side as the fire wood. I walked 5 metres then turned around and swapped the lead over to the right again and walked back. I continued this until he would walk calmly beside me and not jump when the axe hit the wood. When he was calm and relaxed, ignoring the noise, I gave him free reign of the lead, he still stayed beside me calm as. I walked back 5m and forth 5m for 5 times. Then after observing his behaviour on lead, I knew he was ready to be taken off the lead. He still walked at my side calmly. I did this for 10 times. Then I walked away and sat down, Shep followed me, then after a while decided to walk around. He ignored the noise! Then I went inside for 1 minuet, Shep was walking free, but under the carefull eye of my sister in case he did something, he still ignored the noise. I was very impressed with him! When I returned he was still behaving good! And when my dad stopped cutting the wood, I asked him to call Shepherd to him. And my father gave him a good pat! He remains the same still to this day, he is a transformed dog. That was within 45 minuets!
Its simple and easy, some dogs do take longer. :D
Persevere, hang on till the end. Don't quit, keep going!
Shepherd103