House Training Help

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

dmholb01

House Training Help

Post by dmholb01 »

Two weeks ago my family adopted a 12 week old catahoula cur mixed puppy that we named Sam. It has been 2 weeks since we adopted Sam (he is now 14 weeks old) and my family absolutely adores Sam. However, house training has been difficult. I will state that we are not experienced at house training a puppy so this may be the problem. Since we adopted him we have been working on house training, we read various articles regarding house training a puppy but I should note that articles do not substitute for experience. Sam's normal routine consists of someone taking Sam out to the bathroom when he first wakes up around 7am, someone taking Sam out after he eats a meal (he is fed 3 times a day), shortly after giving him water, taking Sam out multiple times in between meals during the course of the day, taking him out before bedtime and even taking him out sometimes during the night. We shower Sam with praise each time he uses the bathroom outside and have tried clicker training. Even taking him out as often as we do Sam still messes in the house, without warning. Also I question whether Sam should be taken that often to the bathroom. He doesn't bark, wimper, go to the door or demonstrate unusual behavior that would indicate that he needs to go outside. This is why we take him so often, trying to prevent an accident in the house because you never know when it will happen. Should he give us a sign when he needs to go outside? My family read that we should feed Sam in the areas where he likes to go to the bathroom in the house because dogs usually don't mess where they eat (after all he does not pee and poo in his crate this is where I used to feed him and water him, in fact the only time he lets us know he needs to go outside is when he is in his crate) and that we should not react when Sam uses the bathroom in the house that we should instead remove him so that he doesn't see us clean it up because some puppies apparently enjoy watching clean up their pee and poo. Obviously we have not been successful so far in house training Sam, I know it has only been a few weeks since we adopted him but I would rather tackle the problem early before he develops some bad habits when he grows older. Any suggestions for how we might better help Sam with his house training?
JudyN

Re: House Training Help

Post by JudyN »

I'm sure more experienced people will be along soon with advice, but the only thing I would say is that when he has peed or pooed in the house, you need to clear it up thoroughly with a non-ammonia-based cleaner - there are proprietry brands you can buy in any pet shop.

If there is any lingering smell (and of course your dog's nose is a lot more sensitive than a human's), your dog will keep returning to the same place to empty himself.

Apologies if you're already doing this - and good luck!
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

some puppies apparently enjoy watching clean up their pee and poo.
:shock: :shock: I find that a very strange thing to say to be honest. Why would they enjoy us cleaning up their mess?

How often is he being taken out to the bathroom? How is he rewarded when he gets it right and goes in the correct place? Pups are like babies, they don't realise they need to go until it's too late so I wouldn't expect him to be asking to go out. Not yet anyway. Some dogs never do ask to go out.

Here's a link to the toilet training thread, might want to take a look there and see whether that helps :D viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6125
Labsrule

Post by Labsrule »

Hello, well Sam is still a little baby yet and while I appreciate that cleaning pee and poo is tiresome, he has little control over his bladder and bowels yet and some puppies just take longer to 'get it' than others.

When he has accidents, don't scold him in anyway, just pick him up and take him outside, clean up the mess with no comment. I cannot imagine there is any truth is the bizzare statement that puppies enjoy watching you poo pick!!

You are doing the right thing, frequent trips out, huge praise on a result, it takes time and you need to be patient. Some toddlers take ages to be claen and it is the same with puppies, you just have to be consistant, he will get there.

At 12 weeks I would still be feeding four meals a day not 3, feed in the kitchen, again no truth in the feed where they poo/pee myth. Always make sure he has access to water. Watch for the signs of a need to urinate/poo, sniffing/circling etc; pick him up and outside immediately after meals, sleeps and playtimes. Try to establish a routine with him so that he has adeqaute opportunities to relax in between all that action, he still needs to have plenty of naps at this young age. If you can get him into a routine you will find it easier to identify his toilet needs. Best of luck.
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

You're doing all the right things, now it's just a matter of time. He needs time to mature in mind and body (meaning bladder and bowel control). Two weeks seems a very long time to you (and I sympathize as I'm in the same place with my puppy right now), but really, in housebreaking terms, two weeks of training for a 12-14 week old pup is just the beginning.

My pup will ask to go out some of the time, but not all of the time. Yet. I know the day is coming when she will ask every time, but it may not be for another month or so (and we've been at it a month already). In the meantime, I watch her like a hawk and make sure I get her outside after naps, eating, playtime and in general, every 45 minutes or so. Again, sometimes she asks, sometimes not, and that's when I just step in and take her out as needed.

It is important to take your pup out a lot right now. You're teaching him where it's appropriate to go whether he's asking or your just anticipating and taking him out before he asks. Over time, he will see that pottying outside gets him lots of praise and treats but when he does have an accident in the house, it gets him nothing. Soon, he'll be asking more and more and you'll be rewarded for your efforts. :D
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11