Gsp coming back when called...

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Vicky+Oakley

Gsp coming back when called...

Post by Vicky+Oakley »

Hi my german shorthaired pointer isn't very good at being let off the lead as he just wonders and wonders....fields and fields away. Now i do know how to teach a dog to come when called, and the usual steps, BUT, my pointer gets VERY distracted, VERY easily!! he comes when called from the garden and from any part of the house, except once we leave the house, his lightbulb goes out and the plug taken out!! :lol: he does not concentrate and really doesn't listen on even a long line....not to mention he barks at other dogs when we pass them...(which is another issue) and is rather impossible to try and get his attention for even 2 minutes as there are way too many distractions....trouble is i have no money to spend on a dog trainer, and i have medical issues which are difficult to tackle some of his issues.....any ideas welcome!! any questions too and i will answer as best i can!!
Thank you!!
Fundog

Re: Gsp coming back when called...

Post by Fundog »

If it makes you feel any better, I have a Llewellin Setter (English field bred, pointing class bird dog) with the same problem. :lol: My Dottie Monster does have the excuse of having a bit of mental retardation (her original owner neglected her terribly), so she is a "cotton head" (said with utmost affection, I assure you!) :lol: Anyway, her drive to chase birds and run-- and she can run like a little horse!-- is so strong that once I let her off, she goes completely deaf, oblivious to anything else. Her recall in the house and yard at home are stellar, but anywhere else, well, forget it! She is in her own little world, and I no longer exist. :lol:

So if I'm in an area that I don't dare let her off: local park, near a road, the golf course, residential areas, etc., I simply keep her on a leash or a long line. When I'm ready to leave and want her back, I just "reel her in." However, if I take her to a very safe wilderness area, I will let her off, provided I don't have to be anywhere at a specific time. Dottie will come back, eventually. It may take her a couple of hours, but she does always come back. She will even come and check in once or twice, then zoom off again. If, after an hour or two, I am ready to leave, I will go looking for her. She really isn't too hard to find-- just follow the birds-- she will either be chasing them, or on point. 8) I take her leash with me, then when I catch up to her, I will put the leash on her, and I lead her back to the car. In these occasions also, I recommend taking a camp chair, a good book, sunscreen, and plenty of water with you so you can enjoy yourself without too much discomfort. Be sure to stay in the same place you let your dog off, as he will come back to that particular spot to look for you later. If you decide to go wandering a bit yourself, just be sure to return to the same place you let your dog off leash. That's your meeting place, and he will look for you there. :wink:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Labsrule

Post by Labsrule »

Hello, Pointers are hunting dogs and all those smells are just too tempting for her, she simply does not hear you :D Other than keep her on a long line or take her somewhere safe and enclosed to have a good run, there is not much hope she will respond unfortunately. As Fundog has pointed out, they really can't help themselves. If you train her to retrieve things may improve a bit, she is bred to work, flush and point out game for shooting, their brains are hot wired to do this so she really can't help it. Best of luck. Sue.
Vicky+Oakley

Post by Vicky+Oakley »

Hello most recent update.....i let oakley off the lead about a month ago and he did stray away about 15metres away at the most, but did come back most the time to a click noise and that noise he responds so well to by getting his attention and i use it a lot of the time so thats a good recall for him and a sort of kissing noise usually used for cats....now considering there weren't actually any distractions including dogs although there was a bird which he reared up and ran after for 2 seconds and then thought better of it lol but he was fabb....i dont have much confidence that he will come back when a dog is around and i wouldnt be able to run after him which i fear about so thats difficult! lol but he hasnt been let off for about two years and he was AMAZING!!! so well done him!!! :) i was a very proud owner that day! :D :D :D i haven't had the chance to go and let him yet but i hope to soon :D
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Now please explain again just what kind of reactivity Oakley has toward other dogs? I know you've mentioned he gets pretty nervous, but here you mention you're not sure he would come back if another dog were around...

My own Dottie has a bit of an issue with other dogs too--- she is fine as long as they don't get close enough to sniff her. But last week we encountered a pair of coyotes on our wilderness outing... she came running right back to me, as though her life depended on it (because it did!), and then decided she wanted to go home, then and there. :lol:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.