Almost ready to get rid of puppy ............. sadly

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

chorbs

Almost ready to get rid of puppy ............. sadly

Post by chorbs »

lease, PLEASE be kind and gentle with your responses to this as I'm about at my wits end and it takes everything I have to not cry about this whole thing as it is.

Jamie is just over 5 months old; we've had her since she was 2 months old. Thus, I've been trying to housetrain her for over 3 months and am getting nowhere. I've again and again read over the do's and don't of housetraining on this website and MANY others. And I'm doing those do's and don't. "Go potty outside", treats and getting sweet on her when she does, same area every time, taking out frequently, right after eating, naps, play times, mornings, etc.

We/I spend a lot of time outside and Jamie always wants to be with us/me as we do. We have a 1/2 acre lot and have recently put in an invisible fence which she took to very quickly (and please, I'm sorry if you don't like invisible fences but that debate discussion is NOT why I'm here.) Since Jamie is already outside a lot the "taking her out" part has become complicated; she's already outside and going the bathroom out there also. But she still goes in the house when she's in here also (not the mudroom, that's her area, but the rest of the house.) I want MORE THAN ANYTHING, to be able to take down the baby gate and let Jamie come live in the house with the rest of us; but every time I try she pees or poops, or both, in the house. Even when I thought I had my eye on her the whole time !

I also babysit a 2 yr old who is scared to death of the dog so I have to have the babygate up constantly, subsequently locking the dog in the mudroom all day. I swear that it's gotten to the point that Jamie would rather be outside than in here with us .... cuz most of the time she's locked up in the mudroom whereas outside she's got 1/2 acre to run around, chase the cats, bark, chase butterflies, etc. And I don't blame her !!! But it breaks my heart. She won't come in ! I want her to be part of the family soooo badly ! It's nice to have her lying on the sofa beside me in the evening while I watch TV and crochet.

I really need help with this but ..... I don't know where to begin (again!)
troop

Re: Almost ready to get rid of puppy ............. sadly

Post by troop »

Hi sorry your having such a hard time (big hugs). First off have you been to the vets just to check there is no physical issues? Second is it stress from being inside causing the toilet issues if pup likes being outside all the time then coming inside could cause stress wees/poops??
Have you tried just keeping pup on a lead whilre in house with you that way he cant go far to mess out of sight..... Im sure you will get loads of fab advise from more experienced peeps but dont give up hope yet xxxxx
MissCarla

Post by MissCarla »

Hello! Well, I would get your pup a full and thorough vet check. I would rehome it after that, because truthfully it does not sound like your life has time for a dog right now, and puppies are adopted fairly quickly.

I think the vet check is a must, bc if there is a problem you need to fix it before adopting him out.
kelleyruger

Post by kelleyruger »

Hi, I am in the same situation, I have had Isobelle for 6 months now and have tried everything. We go out and she goes in the yard by herself, with our other dog, and she goes potty. But she goes all over the house as well, whenever she feels like it. She makes no signs as to when she needs to go out, she just gets up and goes to the bathroom. There is nothing wrong with her physically, she is full of energy!

I really don't know what to do anymore, please don't judge, but I can't face the possibiltiy that this dog will use my house as a toilet for its whole life. The problem isn't when I'm not home, she is in a crate then. Its when I'm home. Home life has become so stressful for both of us because of this issue that it seems like neither of us want to be there. I wont' put her in shelter because she is now too old to get adopted quickly, but I am ready to give her to a new home if I can find one.

Does anyone have any idea how to get this dog trained so we can relax? Please help....
doggiedad

Post by doggiedad »

get a Vet check to make sure there's urinary tract
stuff going on. stop locking your dog away in the
mud room. your dog can't learn house rules being locked away.
start working with the dog inside (not locked away). take her
out often. if you're out with her and you come inside
take her back out 15 minutes later. when she's in the house you
have to watch just like you would a 2 yr old or 3 yr old child.

enroll in a puppy class or an OB class. you have to train
and socialize everyday. train in sessions. my sessions last
5 to 10 minutes. between 4:30am/5:00am and 11:00 pm
i can have 12 sessions. my GF an i equally take part in
all aspects of our dogs life.

so stop crying and "don't complain, train". good luck.
runlikethewind

Post by runlikethewind »

Can you go through your daily routine with the puppy and we can find out if this is stress related also.

In the articles section, there is a topic on house training - pups and adult dogs. I would suggest you read this but also detail your pup's daily routine - everything, no detail is too small. What food does she eat?
doggymama

Post by doggymama »

Hi there,

Jamie is only 5 months old - she is still very young and can't hold the wee in yet. I have a 10 month old puppy who still is not properly house trained. My puppy will wee indoors given the chance (especially if it rains outside, and so will my adult dog of 6 years!!) - I still have to supervise her when she has the run of the house. It's only recently she's started to ASK to go out when she needs a wee. It's taken a long time to get here, but with patience it's not impossible.

When we were struggling the most, I read about crate training. My puppy and my other dog (small breeds) have a pen that is big enough for a bed each, water bowls and small play space. At night time, I put them in the crate. This will help training the puppy to ''keep the wee'' in - as dogs do not like to pee/poo where they sleep and eat. First thing in the morning I let them out for their wee, and once she's doing the wee I tell her ''Good Wee-Wee'' and give her a pat. This worked for us. She rarely has accidents now. At the beginning I left a puppy pad in the crate but she never used it.

I think patience and positivity is the most important part when you house train a puppy. It's a hard job - but worthwhile. If you want to keep Jamie my advise to be to keep working on it. I hope this helps.
Jo_Smith

Post by Jo_Smith »

MissCarla wrote:Hello! Well, I would get your pup a full and thorough vet check. I would rehome it after that, because truthfully it does not sound like your life has time for a dog right now, and puppies are adopted fairly quickly.

I think the vet check is a must, bc if there is a problem you need to fix it before adopting him out.
Wow, so quick to advise a rehome? You think puppies are easily rehomed? Maybe they are but once someone else gets fed up then they get stuck into a cycle of being rehomed time & time again, developing more & more problems. This isn't abnormal behaviour, I know lots of people who have had a few problems with this

Consistent training is the key, not leaving the dog unsuperised, taking him/her out every 20mins & waiting with them, crate training can also be used, keep the pup leashed in the home, any indication that they are going to the toilet then take them out immediately. Make sure any areas previously peed or pooed on are cleaned thoroughly so the dog can't smell this & go to the same spot again.

Just because a dog has lots of energy doesn't mean there isn't anything wrong with him/her - a vet check is always a good idea then you can work on a training plan. Do not let your dog have free reign of the house if she/he is not fully house trained, you need to be vigilant.
MissCarla

Post by MissCarla »

"I also babysit a 2 yr old who is scared to death of the dog so I have to have the babygate up constantly, subsequently locking the dog in the mudroom all day."

THAT is why I advised a rehoming, not the potty training issues. Believe it or not, I am aware that having trouble with potty training is a normal issue. :wink:
runlikethewind

Post by runlikethewind »

Not sure where this thread is going as Chorbs has not yet come back to reply anyway with the daily routine...... so not sure if our replies have a point as yet.
Jo_Smith

Post by Jo_Smith »

MissCarla wrote:"I also babysit a 2 yr old who is scared to death of the dog so I have to have the babygate up constantly, subsequently locking the dog in the mudroom all day."

THAT is why I advised a rehoming, not the potty training issues. Believe it or not, I am aware that having trouble with potty training is a normal issue. :wink:
Sorry, I would have been more inclined to suggest trying to get the child to overcome her fears & concentrating on the dogs issues rather than rehoming. Too many dogs being rehomed too easily
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

doggymama wrote: When we were struggling the most, I read about crate training. My puppy and my other dog (small breeds) have a pen that is big enough for a bed each, water bowls and small play space. At night time, I put them in the crate. This will help training the puppy to ''keep the wee'' in - as dogs do not like to pee/poo where they sleep and eat.
Doggymoma, please be careful about how you advice using a crate. Crates may teach a dog to hold it, but it won't teach them where to go. the whole point of house training is to teach them that eliminating bowls and bladders happens outside. While it's true that dog given a choice will not go where the sleep/eat/lay down they still have their limits for holding it just like we do. If they reach that limit, the point of no return, they will go in the crate. Also, even if you do give the regular breaks to prevent going in the crate, you have only taught them not to go in the crate, you risk them thinking the rest of the house if fair game.
Jo_Smith wrote:Sorry, I would have been more inclined to suggest trying to get the child to overcome her fears & concentrating on the dogs issues rather than rehoming. Too many dogs being rehomed too easily
Jo_smith, please try and not be so judgmental and over simplify someone else situation. while you are right in some cases that too many people do get a dog or puppy and then soon as the road gets a little rough give up too easily and pawn their dog/puppy off on someone else rather than work through the issue. However sometimes rehoming is the right thing. "Forever home" is a nice ideal, but isn't always possible.

I got my dog because his previous family could not longer provide the care he needed and it looked as if that situation would not be temporary. They cared enough about him to find someone who could give him what he needed. They made the right choice.
Jo_Smith

Post by Jo_Smith »

jacksdad wrote:
doggymama wrote: When we were struggling the most, I read about crate training. My puppy and my other dog (small breeds) have a pen that is big enough for a bed each, water bowls and small play space. At night time, I put them in the crate. This will help training the puppy to ''keep the wee'' in - as dogs do not like to pee/poo where they sleep and eat.
Doggymoma, please be careful about how you advice using a crate. Crates may teach a dog to hold it, but it won't teach them where to go. the whole point of house training is to teach them that eliminating bowls and bladders happens outside. While it's true that dog given a choice will not go where the sleep/eat/lay down they still have their limits for holding it just like we do. If they reach that limit, the point of no return, they will go in the crate. Also, even if you do give the regular breaks to prevent going in the crate, you have only taught them not to go in the crate, you risk them thinking the rest of the house if fair game.
Jo_Smith wrote:Sorry, I would have been more inclined to suggest trying to get the child to overcome her fears & concentrating on the dogs issues rather than rehoming. Too many dogs being rehomed too easily
Jo_smith, please try and not be so judgmental and over simplify someone else situation. while you are right in some cases that too many people do get a dog or puppy and then soon as the road gets a little rough give up too easily and pawn their dog/puppy off on someone else rather than work through the issue. However sometimes rehoming is the right thing. "Forever home" is a nice ideal, but isn't always possible.

I got my dog because his previous family could not longer provide the care he needed and it looked as if that situation would not be temporary. They cared enough about him to find someone who could give him what he needed. They made the right choice.
Sorry, have to disagree on this one. A puppy that is not toilet trained is not a reason to rehome. Dress it up all you like with niceties but too many dogs are put to sleep each year because people do not put the effort in. Sorry if this isn't a pupular opinion but I've worked with rescuce dogs for far too long. people need to get over the misconception that all these dogs that are given up get a lovely new home - an awful lot dont'.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Jo_Smith wrote:Sorry, have to disagree on this one. A puppy that is not toilet trained is not a reason to rehome. Dress it up all you like with niceties but too many dogs are put to sleep each year because people do not put the effort in. Sorry if this isn't a pupular opinion but I've worked with rescuce dogs for far too long. people need to get over the misconception that all these dogs that are given up get a lovely new home - an awful lot dont'.
so if someone can't or won't (NOT referencing the op specifically here) give their dog what it needs or if it turns out that no matter how much effort and love and training is put in it doesn't change that environment is just wrong for the dog you still think re-homing is wrong?

Ya, some people aren't willing to put in the effort. some people find they can't. It's sad, and it does put the dog at a risk of euthanasia if they give it up. BUT I can't see how chastising or shaming people into keeping their dog in these situations is some how "noble" or "ideal" or constructive to solving the issue or even the right thing to do. how is leaving the dog to live in a less than ideal situation better than being euthanized?

In reference specifically to this thread, there is more going on than toilet training that could make keeping the puppy less than ideal. Yes, the issues are "minor" in the scope of possible issues and very solvable, but making someone already stressed out over their dog feel bad for mentioning re-homing isn't all that helpful. Particularly since the Op hasn't checked back in and given an update, clarified questions, given feed back on advice given etc.
Jo_Smith

Post by Jo_Smith »

jacksdad wrote:
Jo_Smith wrote:Sorry, have to disagree on this one. A puppy that is not toilet trained is not a reason to rehome. Dress it up all you like with niceties but too many dogs are put to sleep each year because people do not put the effort in. Sorry if this isn't a pupular opinion but I've worked with rescuce dogs for far too long. people need to get over the misconception that all these dogs that are given up get a lovely new home - an awful lot dont'.
so if someone can't or won't (NOT referencing the op specifically here) give their dog what it needs or if it turns out that no matter how much effort and love and training is put in it doesn't change that environment is just wrong for the dog you still think re-homing is wrong?

Ya, some people aren't willing to put in the effort. some people find they can't. It's sad, and it does put the dog at a risk of euthanasia if they give it up. BUT I can't see how chastising or shaming people into keeping their dog in these situations is some how "noble" or "ideal" or constructive to solving the issue or even the right thing to do. how is leaving the dog to live in a less than ideal situation better than being euthanized?

In reference specifically to this thread, there is more going on than toilet training that could make keeping the puppy less than ideal. Yes, the issues are "minor" in the scope of possible issues and very solvable, but making someone already stressed out over their dog feel bad for mentioning re-homing isn't all that helpful. Particularly since the Op hasn't checked back in and given an update, clarified questions, given feed back on advice given etc.
Whilst I agree that in some cases rehoming must be considered an option I am shocked at just how quickly this option seems to be suggested when minor issues are encountered.

I am not 'shaming' the lady in question, I am merely stating that this is a 'problem' which can be overcome & is not unusual in puppies. To constantly suggest the option of rehoming a dog as a viable alternative to putting in consistant training or when things aren't going well is almost making this acceptable. This isn't an acceptable option & should not be considered lightly, this should be a last resort when all other avenues have been tried.

Rehoming animals seems to be considered more & more acceptable & I think that this is wrong. Many animlas are killed every year & owners need to recognise this, not every dog/cat who finds him/herself in a shelter will find a home