Puppy Unresponsive to Training

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Sarah83

Re: Puppy Unresponsive to Training

Post by Sarah83 »

Easiest way to stop counter surfing is to simply not leave anything on them :wink: Head to youtube and search for "it's yer choice". I think a few on here have been successful with that.

Glad the clicker training is going well for you. :mrgreen:
iheartmarcus

Post by iheartmarcus »

Sarah83 wrote:Easiest way to stop counter surfing is to simply not leave anything on them :wink: Head to youtube and search for "it's yer choice". I think a few on here have been successful with that.:
Yeahhhh, I've seen that video! Good stuff! I've started with that kind of inhibition control training. But my pup is a smart cookie, he'll look away from the food and give me really good eye contact. Then I reach over to grab the food off the ground, and in that split second when I'm not 100% ready to cover the food, he makes a mad dash and nabs the food. I don't know whether I should laugh or cry! haha. I have been following Kikopup's tutorial on counter surfing as well, so hopefully he won't need to work his noodles on how to get into cabinets and fridges when he grows into a big boy! haha.
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Are you picking the food up to give it to him? If so, give him something else instead and while he's eating that pick up or cover up the food on the floor.
springchowie11

Post by springchowie11 »

some dogs especially puppies need praise and treats. it could be that he hasn't been given enough praise for his training when he obeys so he doesn't feel like doing it because he'll get no reward out of it. my puppy when we first got him always had trouble with it because we didn't reward him enough. my dog is addicted to praise so he has to have praise or he won't do it. funny aye
springchowie11