getting puppy's attention

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ladybugtastic

getting puppy's attention

Post by ladybugtastic »

My puppy is 11 weeks old and he seems to have the opposite of ADD. He focuses on something and he's so intent on it that I have an incredibly difficult time getting his attention. I make high pitched noises, whistle, clap my hands, call his name and I've even given small tugs on his leash and tried using his favorite food treats to lure him away from whatever he finds so interesting... the only thing I've found so far that gets his attention nearly every time is running from him and making a game out of it, but when he races after me, he starts nipping at my legs.

I don't want him to think that nipping is okay, but I also don't want him to think that every time he comes to me, I'll give him the 'cold shoulder' and ignore him.
Last edited by ladybugtastic on Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For me a house or an apartment becomes a home when you add one set of four legs, a happy tail, and that indescribable measure of love that we call a dog.

Roger Caras, president emeritus, ASPCA

Nettle

Re: new puppy help

Post by Nettle »

We need more information :) what breed/mix is he, when does he focus on these things, what does he focus on, what happens if you don't do anything when he focuses, and can you give us a full rundown on his typical day? Thanks.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
ladybugtastic

Re: new puppy help

Post by ladybugtastic »

sorry, yes. I got him from a shelter when he was 8 weeks old, so I'm not 100% sure what type of dog he is, but he's some type of german shepherd mix. and he looks/act a lot like a mini german shepherd (he's about 15 lbs).
He hyper focuses at pretty much any time during the day on pretty much anything that catches his eye. it can be anything including a toy, chasing/terrorizing my cats (fun toys that actually run from him :), a bone, digging, and if I move a toy around to try and get his attention with it, he'll focus on just my hands, and when I drop the toy, hoping he'll find it interesting, he'll go for my hands. He'll also hyper focus on ankles and knees and snap at them, and wont stop snapping and nipping until we've stood there without giving a reaction for quite a while.
If I don't do anything when he focuses on something, he'll just stay focused on it from anywhere between a few seconds and a few minutes.
a typical day usually goes something like this:
I get up around 5 or 6 am with him, take him out to go potty, then bring him back in to feed him. we play for about an hour, then I give him a short training session that lasts about 5 or 10 minutes. I take him back outside and we go on a small walk, then come back inside for some more play time. around 10 I usually feed him again and take him out about 40 minutes later to go potty again and play outside. then he comes back in and usually takes a nap from about 11am to 2:45ish when my husband gets home. we take him on another walk to go get the mail and walk around, I feed him when we get back and play with him and he'll usually take another nap a bit later. he eats dinner after us (around 6:30) and he'll play a bit longer, then around 8 he crashes for the night.

LB
For me a house or an apartment becomes a home when you add one set of four legs, a happy tail, and that indescribable measure of love that we call a dog.

Roger Caras, president emeritus, ASPCA