Stop Chewing on the Blinds

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Tori's Mum

Stop Chewing on the Blinds

Post by Tori's Mum »

I honestly don't remember if this problem was going on prior to my cousin's last visit (with her Chinese Crested Powderpuff), but it seems like since then, our two youngest have chewed our blinds to pieces. They are kept in a pen in front of the big picture window when we go out, but when my cousin last visited with her puppy, the puppy was left to roam free in the house. She tore up the blinds while we were all out and my cousin didn't even bother to offer to replace them. My parents eventually did and our two have torn up these because they saw how much fun it was.

How can we stop this? My mother has thought of buying wooden blinds, but I'm sure they're just as chewable as the plastic ones.

Also, none of this is happening when we are around. When people are home, the only bits that are chewed on are what's been taken off the whole. I'm starting to think that it happens while they're in the pen and that they're moving the sides to get closer to the blinds. I have seen one of them move the sides in an effort to get to a bug crawling across the floor.

We have always had the blinds and these two dogs are the only ones who have ever attacked them. In the past, raising the level of the blinds about 6 to 8 inches has been sufficient for our previous dogs to see out.
jacksdad

Re: Stop Chewing on the Blinds

Post by jacksdad »

If this only happens when your out and there are no other signs of distress, there is a good chance they have discovered something fun to do. If they are in a pen that is close to the blinds and they can access the blinds from in the pen, move the pen so they can not get at the blinds.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

jacksdad wrote:If this only happens when your out and there are no other signs of distress, there is a good chance they have discovered something fun to do. If they are in a pen that is close to the blinds and they can access the blinds from in the pen, move the pen so they can not get at the blinds.

And give them something else to do that is fun, and make sure they have been well-exercised before you leave them. :)
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Tori's Mum

Post by Tori's Mum »

Believe me, Nettle, I couldn't stop them from being well exercised if I wanted to. LOL They are at it all day long. Makes me wish I had that kind of energy. :mrgreen:
salamana

Post by salamana »

Sometimes, they are more tired with some mental exercises than with hours of physical exercises. Perhaps a clue ?