BARKING AT NIGHT

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

frenchy01

BARKING AT NIGHT

Post by frenchy01 »

Hi,

this is my first post, so any help will be much appreciated.

i have a 6month colliexlab who barks throughout the night. she is in the kitchen with our other puppy and some nights it is quiet (maybe once a week), but like last night she woke me up at 2.30am barking. i went downstairs to let them out for a wee and put them back to bed. barking began again before 5am. now does she need another wee that soon or is she messing about.

I get up at 6am anyway so its not like they are left till late for their first wee.

should i ignore the barking and risk her weeing on the kitchen floor, as i feel everytime i go downstairs i am rewarding her with attention.

please help as all this sleep deprivation is driving me crazy!!!
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I would continue to go down and let her out, but when you do this, dont speak to her, let her out on a long lead so she cannot play around but must do her wee and come back in. Then straight back to bed.

She will learn then taht toilet requests are answered but nothing else will be gained from barking in the night. It might take a little while to sink in, but keep at it.

It could be there are odd noises outside waking her up, foxes perhaps or something else.
frenchy01

Post by frenchy01 »

Hi, emmabeth.

many thanks for your reply. i will keep doing what i'm doing now and let her out, but this time on a lead.

thanks again.
Fab_lab

Post by Fab_lab »

my lab only barks at night because the cat wants to come back it . It is quiet sweet . It take me a week to work it out ..