Getting in the trash

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Nettle

Re: Getting in the trash

Post by Nettle »

It's a case of where management takes minutes and is successful 100% of the time, and training takes months and is only successful some of the time and with some dogs, go for management :wink: make it easy on everyone.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
salamana

Post by salamana »

It's true, you always beware of your dogs and don't put him in danger. You can't play with his life and you must pay attention to dangerous products. But you can't manage all the situations. Perhaps at home, but sometimes it takes only few seconds of inattention. But outside, it's impossible.

Before knowing about positive reinforcement, I just said "don't touch" and prayed my dogs not to discover a tasty and awful thing in a bush when we walked in the forest. It was a game where if they were faster than me, they could steal the food and eat it. One day, my bearded collie discovered remains of pumpkin in a bush and ate it as quickly as he can. He was completely orange, it was just a bad joke for Halloween. Another day, he discovered a bone. As he didn't want me to take away from him, he swallowed it and almost strangled with it. I think it was more dangerous than now.

Now, when we have a walk outside, if they see something very tasty on the floor, they glance at me as "it's the "don't touch game”, hey hey, I recognize this game, I am cleverer than you, I won't be fooled, I will wait for having it because I want it !". It's a funny thing to look at them believing they are cleverer than me because they don't touch it, and looking at me as it was the funniest game in the world".

Moreover, learning about self-control is never a waste of time and work on it instead of just close our eyes can help us on others situations and helps us build a best relation with our dogs. You can try to manage all the situations, put your dog in a crate for example instead of teach him to stay alone without chewing all your clothes etc. but he will learn nothing and you will pay it on another way.

It’s a common pattern of dog’s training : if you want something, follow MY rules or do something for me. The more they know that, the more it’s easy. Food is just an other good excuse to teach them that.

But I'm a mad mistress, I love challenges. :lol:
Gordiesmom

Post by Gordiesmom »

OOOPPSS forgot to take our trash out the other day and left the lid up. I left Gordie alone for 15 minutes in the kitchen while a neighbor chatted in the yard. The next day, he was acting different and being listless.......trip to the vet and he was on the verge of a very serious bacterial infection. Luckily we headed it off at the pass with anti diareal meds and he was feeling well in no time. You can't imagine how bad I felt knowing it was my fault! Thankfully he is back at trying to get in the trash again,,,,,,,,,but no chance he's being left alone near the garbage. In addition to knowing I'd left sonething out that could harm him, the vet bill was almost a hundred dollars.