New dog anxiety...

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

emmabeth

Re: New dog anxiety...

Post by emmabeth »

Im going to be a bit sneaky here and read between the lines slightly..

When crumbly old people have a dog that is a 'bit too bouncy' and that dog is a young labrador x husky, and then on top.. it howls a bit when left...

That isn't a case of 'she just needs a bit of training' - I would EXPECT nothing less than full on hysterical seperation anxiety, complete with utterly trashing the house, crate, car etc ie, a nightmare.

Huskies are notorious for having horrific sep. anx. they just do NOT cope well alone, not at all and lonely Huskies howl, and sing, and bark and howl some more and they can do this for HOURS at a time. They also have a reputation for being incredibly destructive, upto and including, breaking out of crates, eating the interiors of cars in MINUTES, ripping double mattresses and three seater sofas apart so they are barely recognisable...

And if they are not doing this out of hysterical seperation anxiety, they are doing it because its fun, so you lose either way!

Young labradors are another fit, strong breed that are notoriously chewy and destructive when young and they take a while to mature.

If you were telling us you live on a farm with no close neighbours, have a secure kennel and concreted in run for when you HAVE to leave her, and you can teach her to do things like scootering or sled dog stuff, and there was someone home most of the day, I would STILL be cautioning you to think very very carefully about taking this dog on.

This is likely to be a dog you can NEVER let off the lead too, this really is a dog who is going to BE your entire life for probably HER entire life, certainly she would be your main and really, only, consideration for the next 12 months or more.

I really don't think this is going to be the right dog for you - though IF you take her on we will still give you advice (and not with 'we told you so' 'tones' to it :lol: we aren't like that!).

Please please, have a really good think not about her, but about what YOU want from a dog because honestly I am not sure this girl is going to be that dog.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
UKChloeT

Post by UKChloeT »

Right.
I wanted to let you all know that Luna has been living with us since mid July and is doing fantastically well!
She's learnt to recognise her Kong as a trigger to go in to her crate and does not give us a second glance when we leave, she's quiet throughout the day, my partner comes home at lunchtime to let her have a break (if he can't we arrange for a dog walker or family member to visit) and then she's calm and relaxed to be left in the afternoon.
We go out for two hour long walks a day and play games in the evening.
Despite some comments about "never coming off a lead" Luna happily runs around off lead and responds to recall, albeit not perfectly but after four months we're pretty happy with that!
She goes to puppy classes every week, doesn't pull on the lead, sits, lays down, "stays", comes and drops toys.
I've found a fantastic forum, dedicated to people who own huskies (and cross breeds), who have answered any questions I've had and have offered pages of support and advice.

All in all I am thrilled I managed to get over my initial anxiety and we wouldn't be without our gorgeous girl!!
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I am so glad for you and Luna that we were over-cautious, it is deeply depressing when we are right on these thigns (and for every one Luna.. there are a lot of cases that end up back in rescue or worse).

Thanks for letting us know and do stick around - as rough as we may have seemed initially we don't really bite, and you m ust understand we come across so many owners who want the impossible AND... don't put in the work. You have obviously put in a heck of a lot of time with Luna, and it shows! :D
UKChloeT

Post by UKChloeT »

The problem is that you all bit just when I needed some support and advice.
If I'm honest I was probably slightly depressed, being unemployed for a number of weeks, stuck at home with nothing to think about other than obsess over a new addition to the family. God knows what I'll be like in the final stages of pregnancy (no, I'm not pregnant now).
What I'm saying is that I might have taken all your comments rather personally but they were all rather negative.
I worked my butt off with Luna, started with just leaving the room and coming back, then walking in and out of the front door, then 5 seconds away, then 10 seconds, slowly building up to 20 minutes. Then 40 minutes and so on. It wasn't easy, at times I cried and wanted to tear my hair out, but we persisted, my partner took a week off work when I went back to work, so we had another week training Luna and I could leave for my new job without stressing out and it was fine.
I'm so so happy I didn't let my initial anxiety stop me, my partner was incredibly supportive and we now have a stunning, happy little huskador who loves playtime, cuddles and her new "mum & dad"!
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

Yep, that's what it usually takes. A lot of work, which can be challenging for those of us who have all kinds of responsibilities (jobs, kids, parents, dogs, friends, you name it...). There are only 24 hrs in a day, and a lot of balls to keep in the air. The rewards of successful dog ownership, however, are terrific and well worth the extra effort, as you brilliantly described.

Usually adding a dog to our busy lives is our own decision. Unfortunately not everyone thinks this through carefully or does research before jumping into dog ownership, not everyone realizes the extend of the sacrifice that may be required, not everyone has time and energy, and not everyone succeeds. Then it's a sad ending for all involved, especially for the dog.

But in your case, it looks like you've managed just fine so far. Congratulations, enjoy your wonderful 4-legged friend, and keep up the great work you've been doing with her.

Best of luck
Eugene
Nayshiftin

Post by Nayshiftin »

Wait
You are having seconds thoughts thats great
Whats in your area to help dogs
day centre's
people who will dog sit
people who can walk the dog
Friends, family until you get a routine going
Can you take a break to settle you and the dog into the new surrounding atmosphere?
Remember some dogs are spoilt and some have been alone almost 24/7 in pounds so will benefit from when you are there quality time.
I am home 24/7 and my dog has better fun with hubby and daughter who come home evenings etc. I am just the bore that does housework and things and talks when she wants to sleep. Don't get me wrong I have great fun with her. Still think it through and remember animals are resilient as humans. Remember to call back lunch time for toilet stop. Walk morning before work and evenings after work whatever. If you do what you can your dog will reward.
Best of Luck but always give in before the dog suffers if it does not work out. Someone will thank you one day for being honest. Worry is adrenaline to do something positive. Now start positively writing a list of what will work and what boundaries are in place for that dog. Invest in a positive trainer they will remind you of things you need to know. Happy times with your dog
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

nayshiftin - if you had read the full thread rather thanjust the first post you would see that UKChloeT has had her dog a few months now and has overcome the problems she worried about.

Chloe - yeah its horrible when we have to tell people negative stuff, but there ARE people out there who put in all the work, and still have to rehome the dog because the situation just does not resolve. We'd be pretty negligent if we DIDNT make people aware of the potential downsides and negatives, and just told people what they want to hear. After all its people not understanding, not looking at the full picture and just hoping for the best, that lands dogs like yours into rescues (or worse!) in the first place.

So, yep, I am REALLY glad you and your dog have coped and you have put in a ton of work - but the next time someone comes along with a similar question to yours I will still have to tell them the same things as we told you. Not nice, but sadly, frequently it is necessary.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

UKChloeT wrote:What I'm saying is that I might have taken all your comments rather personally but they were all rather negative.
I just wanted to say WELL DONE for persevering with Luna despite the less optimistic advice and despite feeling down in general :D Sometimes I think being told 'This isn't going to work' can make you think 'Hell, no, I'm going to do everything I can to MAKE this work' and actually help you turn things around, if you're determined enough.

Also, even if you've decided that you've found a different forum more suited to you, it was lovely of you to come back to update this thread :D
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009