petting a shy dog

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ladybug1802

Re: petting a shy dog

Post by ladybug1802 »

I thought it all seemed familiar! Cinnywatches....have you done ANY of the things were suggested to you??? Fear can be helped in dogs but it DOES take time and commitment....if you are hoping she will miraculously suddenly wake up one day and love being petted by strangers then you will be disappointed. YOU need to put the work in.
Gordiesmom

Post by Gordiesmom »

I unfortunately see this a lot with people and it really upsets me and makes me sad. They get a dog because they like how it looks, or the dog is in "fashion" at the moment. They don't research temperments, or anything about the breed. When we got our first dog we knew we wanted it to be social, because it goes to work everyday with my boyfriend. He wanted a German Shepard, but the thought of a German Shepard barrowling across a golf course could cause people to be fearful, additionally we didn't want the protective breed as we have many children in and out of our house at the time. So we got a Golden. She is VERY social, but if she wasn't we wouldn't have given her away! That would be like giving away one of my children, (and believe me at times I'd like to).
We now have a Belgian Shepard, again we researched and researched the breed BEFORE we got it. Even a mixed breed you should still look up what you can so that you can be educated about the dog you choose.
Jack Monzon

Post by Jack Monzon »

I you read cinny's other threads, you'll see that her dog wasn't shy at first. It became shy in time.
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

But Jack Monzon that was nearly a year ago that she posted before......a year on she is asking the same questions! So while the dog wasnt shy as a puppy, it has been that way since she posted before last year.
Jack Monzon

Post by Jack Monzon »

ladybug1802 wrote:But Jack Monzon that was nearly a year ago that she posted before......a year on she is asking the same questions! So while the dog wasnt shy as a puppy, it has been that way since she posted before last year.
I was responding to Gordiesmom. My point is that cinny didn't necessarily get the dog "because of its looks" or because it was "in fashion," which is what Gordiesmom was bemoaning. I should've quoted.
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Jack Monzon wrote:I you read cinny's other threads, you'll see that her dog wasn't shy at first. It became shy in time.
But that happens with a lot of dogs as they mature. They become less welcoming of strangers messing with them. Not all by any means but most dogs I know only tolerate strangers petting them, they don't solicit it or seem to enjoy it, they just put up with it.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Can we keep this a bit more on topic please - and reminding the OP that they do have to put in the work, and the realistic nature of that is one thing, but lets not start grumping about assumptions we make about people in general on this thread - this thread is for the OP to ask for help and discussion surrounding that, not generalisations about what other people do.

If you want to do a thread about that - feel free to start one in the General Chat area if you want to.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Dibbythedog

Post by Dibbythedog »

One of my dogs is the opposite to yours. He loves people and gets so over excited he leaps at them if allowed to and people don't like that! My other dog is very tiny and though he likes people, he feels intimidated and backs away if they try to stroke him on walks. I ask people not to try to touch him and explain that they look very big to him and not to take it personally. If they ignore him , he will approach them.
Don't be worried by what people think, some people get offended if a dog doesn't like them because they think dogs are supposed to love everybody :? Your dog loves you and that's the most important thing!
Alison
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

One of my dogs is the opposite to yours. He loves people and gets so over excited he leaps at them if allowed to and people don't like that!
Lol, you can't win can you? It sees people aren't happy if your dog jumps all over them and desperately wants their attention but neither are they happy if your dog completely blanks them and wants nothing to do with them. I taught Rupert to sit for attention so now he just plants his butt and stares at someone with his backside wiggling non stop.
cinnywatches

Post by cinnywatches »

I have tried what people suggested, I have hired trainers and trainers have told me to get rid of the dog. she said she will also be fearful and she was a recommended positive reinforcement trainer.
Maz

Post by Maz »

I hate those words "get rid" ... I don't understand how you can use them in terms of your dog ... are you meaning rehome or pts?
runlikethewind

Post by runlikethewind »

Me too Maz. Cinnywatches posts are 'troll-like'. Emmabeth - I know I will be berated for this but Cinnywatches has has plenty of attention and nothing comes of it apart from one liners and nothing's working responses. And Cinnywatches doesn't rise to any criticism which is odd. It's tiring. She has two dogs - I feel sorry for them both.
PikiPiki

Post by PikiPiki »

She has two dogs - I feel sorry for them both
I feel the same. If I was her trainer, I'd recommend rehoming the dogs as well, for their sakes. At least they'd stand a chance at proper training/stable environment. Nothing wrong with shy dogs. I wish mine were more shy to be honest. Got a bouncy coonhound/husky pup; she thinks jumping up and tackling people is the only way to go. (I don't let her don't worry.)
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

runlikethewind wrote:Me too Maz. Cinnywatches posts are 'troll-like'. Emmabeth - I know I will be berated for this but Cinnywatches has has plenty of attention and nothing comes of it apart from one liners and nothing's working responses. And Cinnywatches doesn't rise to any criticism which is odd. It's tiring. She has two dogs - I feel sorry for them both.
I have been thinking the same.....the OP only ever posts one liners with no info and doesnt seem to have any emotion in the posts, be it anger, sadness, frustration....nothing. If this is real and not a troll then I too feel sorry for the dogs. Altho I cant see any true positive trainer or the like saying the dog will always be fearful......fearful dogs CAN be helped....so its another reason why I feel it may not be a true post.
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Altho I cant see any true positive trainer or the like saying the dog will always be fearful......fearful dogs CAN be helped....so its another reason why I feel it may not be a true post.
From experience I know that many so called trainers will say to get rid of or put to sleep a fearful dog. I had 3 in real life tell me to put Rupert to sleep and 2 tell me to either rehome him or accept that he was always going to be a shivering wreck who couldn't cope with life. Even more people online have said it. I'm just glad I refused to accept it. Rupert is like a different dog.

In all honesty, if the OP isn't willing to accept the dog for the way she is then better to rehome imo. The poor dog doesn't need to be resented as well as forced into situations it cannot handle.