How would Victoria teach a dog to walk on a treadmill?

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

DawnStorm

How would Victoria teach a dog to walk on a treadmill?

Post by DawnStorm »

OK, so I'm watching another dog trainer (OK the Dog Whisperer), and he's trying to get this dog to walk on a treadmill. Now I came in on tail end of the show, so maybe I didn't get the full context. Anyhoo, the training consisted of placing the dog on the moving treadmill, and holding it there until it started walking. Some praise then followed, but I didn't like the dog's body language--tail under legs, and even when it relaxed(?), its tail wasn't fully up. The dog kept wanting to get off the machine, and it was pulled back on. It just did not look good. :cry:
I imagined my own dog(s) in that position, and knew that I couldn't force anyone of them to do something that they were obviously fearful of.
So I'm thinking--OK how would Vic handle this? Well, first, she'd put a treat on the turned off treadmill, and then once the dog got used to the machine, she'd turn it on, let the dog get used to it, and then try putting the dog on the treadmill. Nice and easy, and at the dog's pace.
I've no problem with dogs walking on treadmills (way too hot/humid, other extreme weather, owner injury, etc) but I can't help but think of The Jetsons. :lol:
My current crew:
Bruce the Albino Dobe; Flanders the Belgian Malinut; Leela, Scuttlebutt, and Felix, da kitties.
All much-loved but not spoiled!
runlikethewind

Re: How would Victoria teach a dog to walk on a treadmill?

Post by runlikethewind »

She would tell the owners to get themselves out for a walk.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

She would tell the owners to walk the dogs at a cooler time of day (ie, night), and think up mental/brain training exercises to keep the dog amused too.

If then, on top of that, a treadmill was needed - she would train by positive reinforcement, associating the treadmill with rewards and letting the dog choose to use it rather than forcing it.

But a treadmill is NOT an equivalent substitute for going outside for a walk, seeing new sights, smells etc.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

I can also think of a few ways this could end badly even if the dog "loves" it.

modern treadmills have a kill switch in case they "run away" on you, or you stumble or suddenly get a cramp etc.

how would you protect your dog against these risks on a treadmill?
PikiPiki

Post by PikiPiki »

^ That's exactly what I told my grandmother, when she planned to put her chihuahua on hers. I'm glad she listened to me. :(
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

Treadmills are no substitute for a real walk, but for conditioning, or helping to build endurance they can be useful tools.

1. As mentioned previously, before your dog will get on a running treadmill, they need to associate being on an off treadmill as being fun. So play 101 things shaping the behavior to being on the treadmill and facing the crorrect direction.

2. The treadmill may make noise when its running. So you will need to teach your dog that this noise is normal and not scary. This will be turning on the treadmill (Dog not on the treadmill), and rewarding being around the running treadmill.

3. The treadmill of course moves, the next part isgetting your dog used to that movement so he will not jump off. I believe the carrot on a stick method would work the best. with the dog at the front of the tread pad, turn on the treadmill at a very slow speed. Present rewards to teach your dog to maintain its position on the treadmill. Initially you will ned a very high rate of reinforcement. Keep these sessions very short (like 30 seconds) until your dog shows he understands that he is walking.

Guidelines for safety:
1. Never, Never leave your dog unattended while using a treadmill to condition or exercise.
2. Never, Never tether your dog to the treadmill or have your dog on a line holding him in place.
3. Keep the speed at a walking pace and never never set it to a jogging or running place
4. Unless you are working with a dog going through physical therapy, Never use a treadmill if a dog has an injury
5. With recovering dogs use only under the careful guidence of your vet/vet physical therapist

A treadmill is a tool which must be monitored at all times during use. If you do not have time to go out for a real walk, then you don't have time for the treadmill either.
runlikethewind

Post by runlikethewind »

There are too many risks with threadmills. In the wrong or careless hands (ie those who rate Milan), the welfare of the dog would be last on their mind.
DawnStorm

Post by DawnStorm »

Like I said, I can see the need for a treadmill, but I think it's better to go out for a walk, or at the very least, a romp in the local dog park.
Just make sure you skedaddle when a thunderstorm is coming up....not that that happened last evening or anything. :oops:
My current crew:
Bruce the Albino Dobe; Flanders the Belgian Malinut; Leela, Scuttlebutt, and Felix, da kitties.
All much-loved but not spoiled!