barking in class

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

cinnywatches

barking in class

Post by cinnywatches »

My other outgoing dog is taking the canine good citizen course, she is doing well but she barks during class when we are not doing anything. the trainer said that she will fail the test if she barks alot during it. The trainer suggested water in her face to stop barking, what else can I do?
ladybug1802

Re: barking in class

Post by ladybug1802 »

We need more information please....what makes her bark? Does she bark at other dogs/people/both?

And if I were you - change trainers. Water in theface will most likely make your dog worse in the end...it may shock it into stopping barking initially, but as the barking is most likely either excitement or fear, spraying water in its face will make it more fearful and anxious, and will ruin the bond with you.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Oh dear, what a silly trainer! Good for you for realising water in the face is not brilliant training :roll:

We need to know WHY your dog is barking. Nobody knows your dog the way you do - why do you think she is barking? Is she bored at waiting, does she want to drive the other dogs away, is there a really good echo to her barks that she is enjoying, is she frustrated, excited?

What breed/mix is she, and how old? What happens before you go to class? Does she get a good walk first? Tell us about her typical day - then we can help more. :)
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
cinnywatches

Post by cinnywatches »

she is barking because she is waiting around, sometimes she will bark at another dog. She is a mixed breed dog, spaniel/shepherd. I want her to pass, do you think making a noise will distract her? What can I do?
cinnywatches

Post by cinnywatches »

and she gets a good walk before class
runlikethewind

Post by runlikethewind »

Another Kennel Club 'approved' trainer advocating nasty methods. Shocking.

When she looks at other dogs, click and treat her for looking at them instead. Then the association of looking at the dogs and barking becomes looking at the dogs and getting rewarded = a game. Is she barking out of frustration to play or fear? Do you know?

For barking whilst she is waiting, take a mat and teach her to settle quietly on a matt for 5 seconds, click and treat for calmness. Build to 10 secs, etc, go back to 5 secs etc. Ultimately you are looking for a long settle quietly on a mat where she knows she has to settle and gets rewarded for doing so. Start this at home first in less arousing situations.

Or teach her watch mes or random hand touches (hi, low, over here etc) which you can do as games whilst you are sitting and waiting. Not really a nice settled behaviour but better than barking.

Other idea (not sure how successful this is.... as you can get some intelligent dogs linking the two) but teach a bark on command, click and treat then teach a quiet on command, click and treat, alternately.

Others will have more advice to come.

The other thing I learnt a couple of years ago is to lower your expectations and forget about class rivalry if there is any of that. I sensed that when you said 'I want her to pass'. KC tests put a lot of stress on me and my dog at the time - it's not activity but the hustle and bustle and noise of the class and people shouting DOWN etc and no one showing me how to help my dog at the time. My dog doesn't care less for any bronze, silver or gold award. My advice to you with these classes and awards (and this is mistake I made) is always put your dog and his needs first above anything else. If he fails, he won't know any different and it could only be your pride which is hurt, not his love for you.

Edited: thought also of something you could do is to sit further away whilst you do the games above - away from the dog he barks at. Sorry if that sounds obvious but increase the distance to help him learn and relax faster
Last edited by runlikethewind on Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MissCarla

Post by MissCarla »

Meh. I suspect your dog is frustrated.
In my experience, a lot of the more strict akc trainers don't allow any contact between dogs, and that can be incredibly frustrating if your dog is eager to greet or play. And good for you for standing up for your dog and saying no to the water bottle.
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

I used to want to do all the Kennel Club Good Citizen award tests with my boy....but as his fear aggression of strangers started to show it wasnt possible, and the more I thought of it, the more pointless the tests seem to be. All they prove is that your dog can perform a number of commands in front of a judge and lots of people....and if i remember from the bronze test, the judge has to put their fingers in the collar of the dog. Now my dog can do all of the commands he would need to do to pass these tests, but he wouldnt let the judge touch him unless he knew her. Thats the most important thing to me....that I can teach him the things I want him to do. Surely if your dog can do the things you want in the situations you want, that is more important that trying to get him to pass some 'test' in an unnatural environment where he is stressed?

My biew of the Kennel Club has gone gradually downhill over the past year anyway, and it just reinfirces this by the fact youir trainer suggested squirting water in the dogs face. Appalling and proves they really have no clue.