Dog KNOWS 'here' but purposely ignores it

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Dibbythedog

Post by Dibbythedog »

There's lots of links about calming signals on this website

http://www.k9events.com/calmingsignals.htm

Alison
*oblong*

Post by *oblong* »

Yeah thanks for the support everyone.
I will look into the things Dibbythedog mentioned.
Last night & this morning very good, she toiletted while on the rope, hopefully she is feeling more at home with me & that's why the turn-around in that dept. Certainly it's setting the precedent though.
I notice she has a desire to chase birds (not liking that) which i've been discouraging with a big 'NO'.
You are right Mattie, I am not as stressed - I think the fact I know that ultimately I have the end of the rope (& therefore the upper hand) has made me feel more confident. Once we've got into playing, I've started dropping the end of the rope so she can freely chase the ball but I can get to it & ensure she doesn't decide to go off (thanks to Horace's mum for that idea). This is helping with reinforcement of 'here' & also ball retrieval so we can continue the game. It's also helping with the idea that because she comes to me does NOT necessarily mean we are going home. Plus obviously when she does come back she gets either a quick pet, a treat or immediately the ball goes again.
One little thing i've thrown in there is to put her on the lead at some point, take her for a drink of water & then let her off again & continue playing. I am hoping this establishes that the LEASH doesn't necessarily mean 'end play & home' either.
All seems to be going well but I'll remain cautious because once she realises I'm not actually in complete control she may 'see her chance'. However for the moment I do feel the relationship is building, she is paying more attention to me & our routine is settling in...
Owdb1tch

Post by Owdb1tch »

Chasing birds - she's a gundog!! Hundreds of generations of selective breeding predisposes her to finding and flushing feathered things :)

Birds fly. Rather than 'No' teach her to come back to you OR wait OR lie down - then reward - every time she goes for a bird. Because her genes also predispose her to STOP at the flush. It will feel natural to her if you train her to do that, whereas just 'no-ing' at her will make her insecure.

She needs to flush birds like a collie needs to herd. Much better to take positive control of the flushing.
*oblong*

Post by *oblong* »

OK. I never heard of flushing. I'll try that though. She has certainly improved, lucky for me she is essentially a compliant dog & training up very easily...
Owdb1tch

Post by Owdb1tch »

Flushing is when they jump to make birds fly, so that someone can then shoot them. Then they are supposed to retrieve the shot bird when sent but not before. So you see there is a bred-in gap in the behaviour of flush and the behaviour of chase. You can capitalise on this.