Dog Pulling Fix

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Esprit64

Dog Pulling Fix

Post by Esprit64 »

Hello: If your dog's pulling isn't controlled by all those special harnesses or stopping/walking training, I came across a solution during my hike this AM.
I use a hiking stick about hip height. The stick is thin and lightweight. After leashing my dog with a leash less than the length of the stick, I hold both leash and stick in one hand. The stick is positioned in front of my dog, diagonally from hip to ground, and acts as a barrier for my dog walking ahead of me. To my shock, my dog immediately walked quietly at my side, absolutely no pulling.
chewtoy

Re: Dog Pulling Fix

Post by chewtoy »

Thanks for the tip. I've been trying to act like a tree when my dog pulls, but he doesn't seem to get the idea. He'll sit when I stop but when I start up again he starts to pull.

BTW Espirit, can you check the PM I sent you?
emmabeth

Re: Dog Pulling Fix

Post by emmabeth »

The 'be a tree' method often fails exactly as you have described chewtoy, which is why we recommend the about turn method which you can find in the articles section of the forum (and i think there is a link in the sticky Useful Links thread too).

Using a long hiking stick can also work, but this is a method I prefer to demonstrate in person rather than advise over the net, because often its too much for people to handle (ie, those not used to walking with a stick) and, sometimes people get frustrated and putting a stick in their hands is not a good plan. NOT suggesting for a moment you would hit your dog with it, but people do.. and obviously via the internet I cannot tell who can stay calm and who loses their rag fast.

The downside to using the hiking stick is of course as soon as you do not have it, if the dog hasn't learned that he needs to CHOOSE to stay by your side (as the stick prevents pulling, it doesn't teach him to make the right choice) then he will start to pull again fairly soon. Again for anyone who doesn't routinely walk with a stick, and so doesn't always haveone with them this is an issue, as much as using harnesses is, without also teaching the dog to make the right choice.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant