Happy to be held but afraid to & runs from hands

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

grnbutterfly17

Happy to be held but afraid to & runs from hands

Post by grnbutterfly17 »

Ninja is doing well, 2 things going on that I'm baffled about.

ONE. he is okay n more than happy to be held & petted & even showed me his belly finally :D to get belly rubs like sister Ellie (who L O V E S those), however when we go to bed or anything where he needs to be touched GETTING HIM TO SETTLE for touching or to be picked up or leashed he hops away (I know it's a game to him), I've tried sitting on the floor, in a chair, laying, while just holding my hand on the floor or at a natural position, always in a non threatening manner (even with treats a few times). As soon as u move your hand even in a slow manner he starts playing "the chase me game" all over. I've even tried to ignore him.....I'm thinking he got scared somehow in his bred home with adults cuz he's amazing with our 1yr old twin nephews. And, when we "wind down" on our bed he's not afraid at all--he wants to be held n loved n even nudges for more. I'm a little baffled and I can't always be laying down.

TWO, it may just be the heat (average of 105° daily) but Ninja had yet to go to the bathroom during our walks at all, I figured to go the same way because he knows now walks are happy times but since he is still unsure of plenty I don't want to overwhelm. Should I take him somewhere else? Not intrigued to go? Weird...

By the way thanks ahead!

PS, the It's Me or The Dog book---EXCELLENT
jakesmom

Re: Happy to be held but afraid to & runs from hands

Post by jakesmom »

Hi grnbutterfly

I've been reading your post in Introduce Yourself, and as you haven't had Ninja for too long, and you can't be sure how his previous owners behaved towards him, maybe he has every reason not to like being handled. Sounds like he just needs to feel more confident with you, which he will in time.

He clearly likes being cuddled by you - when he initiates it, but when you try and initiate it he's just no sure what you are going to do - are you going to play, or are you going to smack him or get rough with him - he's just not sure.

I wouldn't make any attempt to pick him up as a lot of dogs don't like that, but otherwise carry on doing what you're doing, just make every interaction with you a good one. Let him come to you for cuddles, and avoid handling him as much as possible until he gets to realise that you're not going to hurt him. Try clipping his leash on quickly and from behind him if you can, so he doesn't see you hands coming towards him.

Not sure I've understood you're problem correctly, please let me know if I'm on the wrong track.

As for his toileting, some dogs are just like that. My current dog won't go in the garden, and my last dog wouldn't go when on walks. Perhaps Ninja didn't go for many walks before you had him, or was trained to go in the garden and has just got used to it.
runlikethewind

Post by runlikethewind »

grnbutterfly17 wrote: however when we go to bed or anything where he needs to be touched GETTING HIM TO SETTLE for touching or to be picked up or leashed he hops away
Two observations from me. Your other dog is a different dog - not all dogs like being touched. Some tolerate it. Even a dog who you THINK wants to play and wiggles around is trying to tell you he does not like it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HsUsIricTQ

Why does he need to be touched to get him to settle? There are other ways of doing this. If you see the video above, you will see touching may not settle your dog at all.

Finally, under what circumstances does he need to be picked up?
grnbutterfly17

Post by grnbutterfly17 »

Thanks for replies---I do appreciate it.

I watched the video & Ninja is sort of in the realm, I'm learning he really craves attention but he previous owner probably didn't have many good experiences for him. If I sit on the floor or even lay on the floor he's not afraid. I'm trying to not make him feel towered over (he's very scared of it, tucks his tail n tries to find a place to hide).
As for the touching, I am the lover--all the pets I have all get one on one hugs or cuddles with me everyday, whether it be laying on my lap and I pet them or since Toby is older he has always gotten up on hind legs and puts his front paws on one leg n puts his head on my thigh n I scratch his head--keep in mind Toby is always within a few feet of me, I look to see where he is so not to step on or trip on him--that may be "over attachment" or "not confident/not sociable" but I never minded it.
All our animals come to me for pretty much everything--I know their barks n whines & stuff. So, they get their "lovins" from me too.
Anyway, the touching & picking up; Ninja is probably 8-9 lbs. I have had to do the pick up & take to spot outside. To put him in the car & that sort of thing. Until he is better in "his house" (metal crate) I'm not going to force him into it at night---Ellie is more than happy to hop in hers but she was crate trained from birth all I have to say is "where do good girls go?" and she's in it waiting for you to close the front.

I guess I have to get less coddly but I want him to have confidence like Ellie, she was lucky to have the start she did. I have to repair Ninja's "firsts" & I've never had to do that.