victoria trainers

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

dogs56

victoria trainers

Post by dogs56 »

Hi
Anyone use a victoria stilwell trainer? I did and not did not like what I saw. anyone else have a bad experience
emmabeth

Re: victoria trainers

Post by emmabeth »

If you have an issue with a Positively trainer I think the best thing you can do is to contact BoardHost and ask them how to make a complaint.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

There aren't that many trainers working under the "Victoria Stilwell Positively Dog Training" brand at this time. Are you sure the trainer in question was actually one?

There are lots of trainer and or trainer/behaviorist out there that claim to use Positive methods and don't. I am also sure there are even a few floating around out there who might unscrupulously claim to be working under Victoria's brand, but are not official.

If the trainer in question isn't listed on Victoria's site, I would suspect you probably found a Fake.

If the trainer is legitimate, and you feel you have a legitimate concern I would approachable the trainer with your questions and concerns.

If your still not happy, while there are a lot of fake positive trainers out there, there are also a lot of legitimate positive trainers out there. they just might not be officially running under Victoria's brand. Might be time to find a new one.
dogs56

Post by dogs56 »

it was a victoria trainer, said she trained with victoria for a day but a day is not long at all. you can't learn everything in a day. I was very disappointed and now looking for a new trainer
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Did you pm Boardhost as I suggested - could you PM me the name of this trainer please?

Unfortunately if you will not do either and cannot explain why you felt this trainers methods were not effective or inappropriate, there is little Positively can actually do about any potential issues. Feedback is pretty important as I am sure you understand.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

dogs56 wrote:it was a victoria trainer, said she trained with victoria for a day but a day is not long at all. you can't learn everything in a day. I was very disappointed and now looking for a new trainer
with respect, that should have set alarm bells off. when choosing a trainer to help us and our dogs it is important to do some research. try to verify their methods, philosophy, get permission to observe a class or two etc.

Victoria's positively web site explains briefly the process of becoming a "Victoria trainer". one thing that isn't part of the process is training with her. As in being trained by her to be a trainer. The program is more of a review of the trainer and their methods so that people who want Victoria style training have some assurance that the person who is an Official Victoria trainer is really a positive methods based trainer and not someone claiming to be.

Her web sit also lists who is a Victoria Trainer so it is very easy to verify such a claim :wink:

If you think someone is claiming to be what they are not, Emma's advice to message the BoardHost is the way to go.
gpvinnie

Post by gpvinnie »

Before I adopted my puppy a little over a year ago, I was obsessed with It's Me or The Dog - so when I set out to find a training facility I knew they had to advocate for positive only training methods. I found Trainer's Academy, although they were not affiliated with Victoria Stilwell at the time - they are amazing and everyone there was so dedicated and friendly.

So I was not surprised when they became "approved" by Victoria!

http://woofology.info/VSPDT.htm

I would definitely contact someone about the trainer you worked with or ask them to provide more credentials to you.
nickmcmechan

Post by nickmcmechan »

sounds like it wasn't an approved trainer, however sounds like it would be good for discussion if the OP expanded on 'didn't like what I saw'
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I don't think thats going to happen though, I suspect the OP is just trolling the forum to wind folk up!
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

Was just thinking the same Emmabeth!
Last edited by ladybug1802 on Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
dogs56

Post by dogs56 »

I contacted the board, I told them what I saw thanks
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

Werll then could you give us more information about what exactly you didnt like about the trainer?
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

If you don't actually want to post the details on the board you can either pm, or I will remove this thread as it is serving no useful purpose currently.
dogs56

Post by dogs56 »

the trainer used force with the dogs and outdated techniques like kneeing a dog to stop jumping. she also did not provide any info on how to help my dog, I don't think she dealt with fear aggression
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

If this the case, and this trainer lead you to believe they were a "Victoria" trainer they were not being truthful.

again, it is very easy to verify a claim of being a "Victoria trainer" they are listed on Victoria's web site. If someone is claiming to be one and is clearly using aversive techniques the best thing to do is PM the Boardhost with all the details, names, phone numbers, web site address, etc and let them deal with it.

Again, it is VERY, VERY easy to verify a claim of being a "Victoria Trainer", so next time someone makes this claim, take a minute to go on Victoria's site and look up their name/name of business.