So happy he WILL poo!

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

grnbutterfly17

So happy he WILL poo!

Post by grnbutterfly17 »

Haha! First behavior I'd like to change! Lil Ninja POOPS when he's over excited (happy, anxious, worried etc :( ) Today, hubby is home with a summer cold so I let everybody out to go, they come back in after 1/2 hour. They RUN into our bedroom where they know I am & Toby and Ellie say "hey mom!" and get under the bed cuz they know mom isn't much of a morning person. Lil Ninja whines n barks & I do the ignore the hyper jumpy behavior...after he settles I look for him to praise for the calm & he had pebbled on the carpet! I think maybe he wasn't out long enough and put him out for a bit before he eats his first meal, bring him back in. I start with teaching him sit (which he's picked up in a snap :D ) --daddy gets a go at it and while he's going over it with him, ninja does his little run around the other dogs who have been in sit PEBBLES around the way!
After he sits I clean up the pebbles. I don't want to cuz anymore of it. He's now at the point of being happy but is afraid of our hands (prolly cuz of prior bad experience)

Other than no food praise and since he's skiddish of us touching him a lot. What do I do?
emmabeth

Re: So happy he WILL poo!

Post by emmabeth »

I think the biggest change you can make here is to go out with them rather than let them out - and reward everyone for pooping in the proper place.

It is easy for an anxious/giddy/excitable dog to forget to go, especially if let out without supervision, with other dogs to whizz about with, and get distracted by.

I would try to put Ninja on a long leash, and go out with them, then you can reward Ninja for pooping with food rewards AND let off the lead so he can go play. Over time this will teach him that the first thing he does when he goes outside is to go potty, then play happens afterwards. *(Note, you must make sure that he does get to play after he potties and not fall into the habit of taking him straight in once hes been, or he will learn to hold on to stay outside longer!)
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
grnbutterfly17

Re: So happy he WILL poo!

Post by grnbutterfly17 »

Thanks for the advice...

Michael (my husband) has NO problems with him, but I'm working with Ninja on training more than he. I'm thinking Ninja really likes the mental stimulation from me. The training and attention he gets is fun I guess.

Tomorrow, we work on training and walking more. He FINALLY got that walks are good things--I knew I should've brought the others along instead of separate-- no more resisting. BUT the average temp. Outside these days is over 100°, I could only imagine how hot it feels to them.

I'm hoping it all goes better.