Introducing new dog?

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Husky_Russell<3

Introducing new dog?

Post by Husky_Russell<3 »

I have already posted on my current dog Ruá and I got my answers on that but I am wondering what I can do to make introducing her to Molly any easier?

Long story short..
Ruá is a year old JRT (not purebred) and a little bit jealous but generally good with other dogs. Likes to play chasing with them ect....
I am getting Molly, a 12 week old husky pup in 3 weeks.

So, how do I introduce them? I was told to bring Ruá into the front garden or something and introduce them their and then bring them indoors? Adicve on this would be great, thank you.
A dog has no use for fancy cars, big homes, or designer clothes. A water log stick will do just fine. A dog doesn't care if your rich or poor, clever or dull, smart or dumb. Give him your heart and he'll give you his. ♥
emmabeth

Re: Introducing new dog?

Post by emmabeth »

Since its a puppy you are bringing in rather than an adult dog, then somewhere secure where Rua will feel relaxed and happy - IF shes likely to strongly object to another dog in her garden suddenly then that might not be the best place, but if shes generally fine with other dogs in her garden it should be ok.

Wherever you do it, I would pop a harness and a long light weight line on Rua, which means you can control her without having to actually catch hold of her (as grabbing hold of a dog in a potentially fraught situation CAN make things worse, whereas guiding her out of the way with a long leash would be safer).

Do NOT expect her to think the puppy is cute and adorable etc etc like you will - she might love it, but she also might utterly hate it at first, or she could be indifferent.

Do not be surprised if after a few hours the novelty wears off and shes sick of the puppy, prepare for this and do NOT let the puppy annoy her, you do need these two to be friends because regardless of what you want, if they fall out seriously and one decides the other is going, the end result will be you having to keep them seperate permanently or one will kill the other. When bitches decide they hate another ***** no amount of training will fix that and with the breed combination you have picked unfortunately thats more likely to happen than say two labradors or other easy going breeds.

Anyway thats something to bear in mind but for the future, its unlikely to happen now (but might in a years time!) - right now you have a puppy who will watn to explore her world and find out whats fun and what isnt.

She is going to whizz about biting stuff, if she bites Rua, she will get told off. As long as that is a reasonable degree of telling off (ie, a roar, an air snap, a controlled grab and release) then its ok, but you need to attempt to prevent it having to happen in the first place, rather than wait for Rua to tellt he puppy off and then deal wtih it afterwards. DO NOT tell Rua off if she disciplines the puppy, even if the puppy screams (she will,theyall do) her head off like she had a limb torn off or something. Puppies scream like crazy when an adult dog tells them off, its normal, as long as the adult dog hasnt actually done any harm and backs off, its fine.

Make sure before puppy comes home you have a crate set up for her and suitable toys - you cannot leave a puppy unsupervised for a second and it will also be unfair on Rua to put up with the puppy harrassing her all day long so the crate will provide a safe place to put the puppy when you cannot supervise (that doesnt mean the puppy could or should be crated for hours on end!)

I wouldnt bank on them keeping one another company in the way you hope for quite some time, because a husky wont be a mature and sensible dog for nearly three years and Rua is only just an adult herself so there may well be some degree of regression in her behaviour.

Since you will need to walk them seperately for some time because the puppy cannot walk as far as Rua can, this is the ideal time to go over training and make sure Rua is being reminded about the rules and how to behave.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Mattie

Re: Introducing new dog?

Post by Mattie »

I have answered this in your other post.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]