Vomiting and diarrhoea ? Peptobismol/Gavison?????

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

cazziebint

Vomiting and diarrhoea ? Peptobismol/Gavison?????

Post by cazziebint »

Okay this may sound like a weird question but last night I was up from 00:40am until 4.10am with Diego. poor little mite has sickness and diarrhoea and feeling very sorry for himself. Aluka also has diarrhoea but not sickness and seems okay in himself which is making me think a bug of somesort.

Anyway I was reading one of my husky books this morning (Huskies for Dummies) and in there it says a tablespoon of Peptobismol can work wonders for V&D. A 50lb dog usually has just over a tablespoon.

Has anyone heard of or tried this????

At the minute I am going to starve them for 24 hours then try them both with some bland food (can you tell I used to work in a vets) obviously I am keeping an eye on dehyrdration etc and if Diego hasn't picked up will be a trip to the vets.

I dunno though, is peptobismol and gaviscon etc the same as Flagyl which vets use????

Any opinions?
There is no therapy in the world than can match the kisses of a dog
leigh

Post by leigh »

Flagyl is Metronidazole, which is an antibiotic....... so I'd say no not the same as peptobismol............

for diarrhoea in my dogs and cats I give boiled chicken, rice and pumpkin... works a treat
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

For that kind of sicky/pooey, i would not give peptobismol - that sounds like a tummy bug and the body is reacting by evacuating the yuck out of the system.

Giving anything that would halt that process could make things worse in teh long run, so ensure they cannot get dehydrated, starve and then introduce bland food if you think its safe, and vets if it goes on much longer.

I WOULD give some form of antacid for dogs who vomit up a bit of bile when hungry, but thats a different thing entirely.