Behavior changes?

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Husky_Russell<3

Behavior changes?

Post by Husky_Russell<3 »

I currently have one Jack russell (not purebred) Rua. She is a year old. Recently, while on our regular walks, she has started attacking any other dog when it comes near me. She is a good dog and listens to me (most of the time) and is very socialized with other dogs. When she runs over to them in the park she has no problem playing with them but as soon as the other dog comes near me or if I try to pet it she attacks them.

Now Rua is a "one person dog" and I'm that person. She sleeps in my bedroom, I feed her, I walk her and I cuddle her. She is literally my shadow. As we speak she is lying beside me asleep. She even brought me a few dead mice, which I understand is her way of saying "I love you" and such. But she never used to attack before if I pet another dog.

Now, I am getting a Husky pup in 3 weeks, Molly, a 12 week old female. I am a very active person, jogging, running, biking, and hiking and would love for a Husky to join me. I am worried that Rua will do the same to the Husky. (Which I am getting weather she is happy about it or not!*EDIT* ok, I am aware that sounded very harsh but I am bringing Molly home, she is paid for and it would be my home or the shelter for her, which I am NOT allowing.)Anyway, she only even shows signs of aggression towards my cats, but that is only if they come near her while she is eating. But if anyone else goes near her while she is eating then she is perfectly fine with it. She plays with the cats so she is friendly with them. But because the cats are leaving (my dad is moving out and taking them with me) and I will be re-starting college again, the Husky will also be company in the house for Rua while I am gone.

I should mention that I bring Rua over to my sisters house, she owns two dogs, and Rua gets on great with them. I bring them on walks together and they play and such in her house. But if Rua would get tired she would come over and jump onto my lap. Rua also knows her place in the house, knowing that people are dominant, then her. I am going to start bringing my sisters dogs over to my house to get her used to the idea if other dogs in our house. She has a very playful personality and is a very loving and loyal dog.

Any other suggestions or tips on how to prevent her attacking other dogs around me and getting her used to Molly?

I should also mention that if I bring her out and I go into the shop and leave her with my boyfriend or whoever I am with, she cries non stop till I get back to her.
Last edited by Husky_Russell<3 on Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A dog has no use for fancy cars, big homes, or designer clothes. A water log stick will do just fine. A dog doesn't care if your rich or poor, clever or dull, smart or dumb. Give him your heart and he'll give you his. ♥
Husky_Russell<3

Re: Behavior changes?

Maybe I should add that I tried the NILIF method with her and it works, somewhat. She does her tricks, then gets food and treats and rewarded. But their is a step which I completely ignored altogether, which was lock her in a room 90 percent of the time and you control how much attention she gets. (From internet, can't find the site now though) I was NOT going to to that! I don't think this is fair and beats the point in having a dog as a companion. What I did do though was ignore her when she was jumping at me for attention. I gave her attention when she calmed down and on my terms. Not when she jumps and such. If she is lying down or playing then I call her over and she gets her cuddles and kisses.
A dog has no use for fancy cars, big homes, or designer clothes. A water log stick will do just fine. A dog doesn't care if your rich or poor, clever or dull, smart or dumb. Give him your heart and he'll give you his. ♥
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Husky_Russell<3 wrote: (Which I am getting weather she is happy about it or not!)
that attitude is very possibly setting your self up for failure. IF you want help AND you want what is best for your dog(s), your going to need to be a bit more flexible.

having two dogs that can not get along or can not live together safely and peacefully is an absolute nightmare from what I understand. If they can't get along, best case life is stressful and your constantly managing things. Absolute worst, you come home one day and find one dog dead.

It is probably too early to say don't get a second dog, BUT since you are already having issues with your current dog I STRONGLY urge you to reconsider "getting second dog even if my first doesn't like it". Because while it is entirely possible your current dog and future new dog will get a long it is also entirely possible they won't. then what?

Please, Please be open to the idea of maybe not getting the other dog at this time...

To better guide you, can you fill in a few details.

How old is your current dog
what is a typical day like (walks, time alone etc)
You mention doing some NILIF training. have you done any other training

Any other details about your dog's life would be helpful.
Husky_Russell<3

The biting behavior has only started today! The first time I've EVER seen it in her! (besides from when we're playing) I must stress that she does get along great with other dogs normally, have never had a problem. Even when another dog went for her she always came running back to me.

Molly is a closure for me, sort of. Our elder husky died the day we took Rua home. (they were ment to be buddies lol) and a lot has happened. My parents have just been divorced and the house is up for sale. So we were hoping to have Rua and Molly move into the new house together, so no one gets the "territory." My friend is moving away and she was planning on keeping Molly, but is selling her to me knowing I will look after her.

Rua is just over a year old.
We go go to bed at around 12, depending on what I'm doing but a weekday would be 12.We get up at around 11 or 12 the next morning. She stays in my room (door closed) because she hasn't learned to bark to be let out yet, she just sits at the door. When she is in my room she won't pee or poop.
When we get up she has her breakfast with the cats, 4 bowls go down altogether so no fighting. But Rua has never been interested in her own bowl, she would always go to one of the cats and eat from theirs.
We would go for our 2 hour walk to the park at around lunch time. She gets let off the leash and we jog together and play fetch then we head home.
She normally sleeps for about an hour or two when we get home. When she wakes up again we play or she gets cuddles and she does her own thing in the garden and around the house. (Which includes chasing balls that are too big for her to bite or play with one of her teddies- or ted as she knows them :P
Her second feeding is the same as the first, when we have dinner, around 4 or 5. (She gets plate scraps during the day, this is when she attacks the cats.)
I leave for work and my mum or sister stay at home and play and look after her. I leave for work when my mum and sister get in from work/school.
I feed her when I get home from work (around 10) and let her out to poop, then we go to bed. Thats a typical day for us. AT weekends we sometimes go to the beach or park and spend the whole day their (7-8 hours) and at weekends we wouldn't get to bed until 2 or 3 latest.

All the rest of the time she is clicker trained or does tricks and is given her favorite treat, chicken, to be rewarded.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Husky_Russell<3 wrote:I currently have one Jack russell (not purebred) Rua. She is a year old. Recently, while on our regular walks, she has started attacking any other dog when it comes near me. She is a good dog and listens to me (most of the time) and is very socialized with other dogs. When she runs over to them in the park she has no problem playing with them but as soon as the other dog comes near me or if I try to pet it she attacks them.
Is she on or off the lead when this happens?
Now Rua is a "one person dog" and I'm that person. She sleeps in my bedroom, I feed her, I walk her and I cuddle her. She is literally my shadow. As we speak she is lying beside me asleep. She even brought me a few dead mice, which I understand is her way of saying "I love you" and such. But she never used to attack before if I pet another dog.

Now, I am getting a Husky pup in 3 weeks, Molly, a 12 week old female. I am a very active person, jogging, running, biking, and hiking and would love for a Husky to join me. I am worried that Rua will do the same to the Husky. (Which I am getting weather she is happy about it or not!*EDIT* ok, I am aware that sounded very harsh but I am bringing Molly home, she is paid for and it would be my home or the shelter for her, which I am NOT allowing.)
Just because Rua has gone for other dogs doesn't mean that she will go for Molly, a lot depends on how they are introduced and how you let them interact. Rua will need time away from Molly, if Molly doesn't listen to Rua you will have to back her up by stopping her from pestering Rua. Rua will teach her how to be a dog and unless it is over the top let her. She will growl and maybe air snap, I get that with my dogs if one steps out of line, it is just a dog speaking like a dog and telling the other dog to get lost. :lol:

Anyway, she only even shows signs of aggression towards my cats, but that is only if they come near her while she is eating. But if anyone else goes near her while she is eating then she is perfectly fine with it. She plays with the cats so she is friendly with them. But because the cats are leaving (my dad is moving out and taking them with me) and I will be re-starting college again, the Husky will also be company in the house for Rua while I am gone.
She is just a dog being a dog, food is a very high resource to a dog and most dogs will act like this, I have a closed door between my 4 dogs when they are eating, yes they can eat in the same room but that adds stress to them, I prefer them to be stress free as much as possible.
I should mention that I bring Rua over to my sisters house, she owns two dogs, and Rua gets on great with them. I bring them on walks together and they play and such in her house. But if Rua would get tired she would come over and jump onto my lap. Rua also knows her place in the house, knowing that people are dominant, then her. I am going to start bringing my sisters dogs over to my house to get her used to the idea if other dogs in our house. She has a very playful personality and is a very loving and loyal dog.
No people are not dominant over dogs, we are their carers, teachers, leaders, parents etc. we hold all the resources so don't need to dominate our dogs. If you are bringing Molly home soon I wouldn't put her under the additional stress of having other dogs in her home at the moment. You want Rua as calm and stress free as possible when Molly arrives not stressed out, if she is stressed out she will fail with your new dog.
Any other suggestions or tips on how to prevent her attacking other dogs around me and getting her used to Molly?
We need more information on this, is she on or off the lead? What is the other dog's body language like? Please give us as much information as you can with this.
I should also mention that if I bring her out and I go into the shop and leave her with my boyfriend or whoever I am with, she cries non stop till I get back to her.
Dogs who do this are showing signs of insecurity.
Maybe I should add that I tried the NILIF method with her and it works, somewhat. She does her tricks, then gets food and treats and rewarded. But their is a step which I completely ignored altogether, which was lock her in a room 90 percent of the time and you control how much attention she gets. (From internet, can't find the site now though) I was NOT going to to that! I don't think this is fair and beats the point in having a dog as a companion.
I hate NILF, I have seen to many dogs ruined by it because their owner took it too far, you are right why have a dog if you can't interact with them, also I bet those idiots who say this would scream blue murder if someone locked them in a room like this, it will be so boring for the dog and teach them nothing.
What I did do though was ignore her when she was jumping at me for attention. I gave her attention when she calmed down and on my terms. Not when she jumps and such. If she is lying down or playing then I call her over and she gets her cuddles and kisses.
Pups do need to learn not to jump up on humans but, if a dog feels the need for attention why not let them have it, I have found that dogs are much better if they get what they need when they need it. My dogs are all rescue so often come with problems, many is seeking love and attention. If I am busy I acknowledge their need by smiling at them, give them a quick pat or tickle, then get on with what I am doing. I find that my dog soon learns that mum is busy but are happy because they did get a little attention. I would be really upset if I needed attention, cuddles etc, and was completely ignored, it would make me feel a lot worse.
The biting behavior has only started today! The first time I've EVER seen it in her! (besides from when we're playing) I must stress that she does get along great with other dogs normally, have never had a problem. Even when another dog went for her she always came running back to me.
Dogs always have a reason for what they do, it is us humans that have problems working out why, this is why it is so important that we learn as much about a dog's body language as we can so we can read the other dog as well.
Molly is a closure for me, sort of. Our elder husky died the day we took Rua home. (they were ment to be buddies lol) and a lot has happened. My parents have just been divorced and the house is up for sale. So we were hoping to have Rua and Molly move into the new house together, so no one gets the "territory." My friend is moving away and she was planning on keeping Molly, but is selling her to me knowing I will look after her.
You obviously adore Rua and I suspect you are trying too hard to have the perfect dog, the perfect dog doesn't exist all we can do is teach them what is expected of them. To do that we need to put them in a position were they do what we want without any problems. Our body language is really important to a dog, if it is soft a dog is able to understand us better, if it is harsh like when we are determined that the dog will do something, it makes it harder for the dog to read and understand what we want. Try understanding your own body langauge, think of being determined to make something happen, notice how your muscles feel, tight, loose, etc. Your face is it stern or happy. Then smile, a really nice, happy smile and notice the change in your body language. Your muscles are now much softer, your whole body is softer and your face is happy and soft. Dogs respond to us a lot better when we are soft and happy with a smile.
We go go to bed at around 12, depending on what I'm doing but a weekday would be 12.We get up at around 11 or 12 the next morning. She stays in my room (door closed) because she hasn't learned to bark to be let out yet, she just sits at the door. When she is in my room she won't pee or poop.
Have you taught her to bark to go out? If you haven't how is she to know that you want her to bark, she could be telling you another way that she wants to go out to toilet but you are not listening to her. In all the years I have had dogs only 1 barked to go out to toilet, the rest all use different methods, Cyril jumps on my head when he wants to go out to toilet. :lol:
When we get up she has her breakfast with the cats, 4 bowls go down altogether so no fighting. But Rua has never been interested in her own bowl, she would always go to one of the cats and eat from theirs.
Cat food is not good for dogs, it would be better for Rua and the cats if they were fed apart from each other, less stress on them all.
We would go for our 2 hour walk to the park at around lunch time. She gets let off the leash and we jog together and play fetch then we head home.
She normally sleeps for about an hour or two when we get home. When she wakes up again we play or she gets cuddles and she does her own thing in the garden and around the house. (Which includes chasing balls that are too big for her to bite or play with one of her teddies- or ted as she knows them
Her second feeding is the same as the first, when we have dinner, around 4 or 5. (She gets plate scraps during the day, this is when she attacks the cats.)
This is normal behaviour for a dog, if you don't want her to attack the cats then have them seperated so she can't attack them.
I leave for work and my mum or sister stay at home and play and look after her. I leave for work when my mum and sister get in from work/school.
I feed her when I get home from work (around 10) and let her out to poop, then we go to bed. Thats a typical day for us. AT weekends we sometimes go to the beach or park and spend the whole day their (7-8 hours) and at weekends we wouldn't get to bed until 2 or 3 latest.

All the rest of the time she is clicker trained or does tricks and is given her favorite treat, chicken, to be rewarded.
Basically she has a good life, but I do think you need to be softer with her, that doesn't mean she gets her own way, I think you are trying too hard and missing a lot of fun with her. It isn't easy to change like this but I am sure you Rua and Molly will enjoy each other a lot more.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Husky, I was hoping Mattie would jump in and add to this. I would encourage you to really take her advice to heart. My only goal in this thread was to try and get you to be open to possibly not getting a second dog IF there is any reason or doubt about how your existing dog would respond.

Mattie can really advise you on how to set things up so if you are going to take on Molly as well you have the best chance of success. stick with us.
jakesmom

Post by jakesmom »

Hi Husky_Russell<3
Husky_Russell<3 wrote:The biting behavior has only started today! The first time I've EVER seen it in her! (besides from when we're playing) I must stress that she does get along great with other dogs normally, have never had a problem. Even when another dog went for her she always came running back to me.
Perhaps a vet check might be a good idea as well as this is a sudden change in behavior.
Husky_Russell<3

Is she on or off the lead when this happens?
Yes, she is. When she is on the lead she is all tails! Wagging, sniffing and belly showing.

We need more information on this, is she on or off the lead? What is the other dog's body language like? Please give us as much information as you can with this.
The only time she has done it she is off the lead. She is never on the lead when we are in the park together. The only time she is on the lead in the park is when we're having a picnic and that's so I can keep an eye on her and won't run off when I'm not prepared. When she is off the lead and see's another dog she stands alert watching them. Her tail and head and ears are all up.(well ear, she has one floppy and one pointy ear, her floppy ear is her "broken" ear :P ) Then she'll run over to them, sniff and they'll play doggy chasing. Run will run and the other dog normally chases her. Or rua will try get the other dog to play by jumping at it. A few tumbles, more chasing then we go home. I presume that is normal playfull behavior for a dog? When she was biting she growls and stands with her hair on end and shows her teeth, even lunging for the other dogs. The other dogs are kinda the same as Rua, running around and playing and such.

What should I do to help this?

Have you taught her to bark to go out? If you haven't how is she to know that you want her to bark, she could be telling you another way that she wants to go out to toilet but you are not listening to her. In all the years I have had dogs only 1 barked to go out to toilet, the rest all use different methods, Cyril jumps on my head when he wants to go out to toilet. :lol:
I tried but I don't know how to teach her to bark! Lol. When she barks I say "speak" and praise her and give her chicken, but she must think she is being handed the chicken for nothing lol.
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

When Dylan wants to go out, when I am not in bed, he will come and sit or stand by me and stare at me, sometimes with his tail wagging. If I then ask him if he wants to go out (I use his command that he knows what i mean) he will jump up and run to the back door.

If I am in bed, he usually stays downstairs....but if we are in my parentds flat in Dorset he sleeps by my bed. If I am there, he tells me he needs to go out in the morning by standing by my bed, wagging his tail, with his head reasted on the bed in front of my face staring at me! At home, he usually waits for me to come down, but occasionally he comes upstairs and does just that - stands by my bed and rests his head by my face and waits for me to notice! He has never barked to be let out, but he has his own ways of telling me he needs to go out that I recognise easily now!

So maybe she does have her own way of telling you this but it may be quite subtle and you may not yet see it?
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Husky_Russell<3 wrote:
I currently have one Jack russell (not purebred) Rua. She is a year old. Recently, while on our regular walks, she has started attacking any other dog when it comes near me. She is a good dog and listens to me (most of the time) and is very socialized with other dogs. When she runs over to them in the park she has no problem playing with them but as soon as the other dog comes near me or if I try to pet it she attacks them.
The part I have put in bold I missed, sorry, why are you petting another dog? This is really asking for trouble, many dogs don't like their owners petting other dogs and will react. I kept warning an owner with 2 Weimaraner pups about this, he laughed, said he was boss and his dogs done what he said. 2 years later these 2 dogs attacked one of mine even though I had stopped their owner from interacting with my dogs when they were still pups, he continued to do it with other dogs.

There are dogs you can do this with but you have a JRT, they are feisty and have minds of their own, you are going to have to be careful in future when dogs are approaching you like this and for some time don't interact with them.
You have to make her feel she is the only dog in your world and not interact with other dogs for a while, maybe you will be able to again but maybe you won't, she is telling you she doesn't like it and trying to send the other dog away.
The only time she has done it she is off the lead. She is never on the lead when we are in the park together. The only time she is on the lead in the park is when we're having a picnic and that's so I can keep an eye on her and won't run off when I'm not prepared. When she is off the lead and see's another dog she stands alert watching them. Her tail and head and ears are all up.(well ear, she has one floppy and one pointy ear, her floppy ear is her "broken" ear :P ) Then she'll run over to them, sniff and they'll play doggy chasing. Run will run and the other dog normally chases her. Or rua will try get the other dog to play by jumping at it. A few tumbles, more chasing then we go home. I presume that is normal playfull behavior for a dog? When she was biting she growls and stands with her hair on end and shows her teeth, even lunging for the other dogs. The other dogs are kinda the same as Rua, running around and playing and such.
It sounds like you have done a good job with socialising her, just watch for dogs coming across to you and ignore them.
What should I do to help this?
Does your boyfriend interact with her or just stands holding her? If he will talk to her, get her to do a few things like sit, down, etc. and reward her for doing them it may help.
I tried but I don't know how to teach her to bark! Lol. When she barks I say "speak" and praise her and give her chicken, but she must think she is being handed the chicken for nothing lol.
[/quote]

She is probably telling you in a different way but you haven't picked up on it. I once went to dog sit for someone who wanted to go and see a behaviourist about her dog toileting all over the house, the floors were covered in plastic sheeting. They didn't want to take him in case he toileted there. I started taking him out every 45 minutes but he didn't want to go, between taking him out he ran out of the room and ran back in again, that was his way of asking. When his owners came home I asked if he was doing this when they were there, yes he was, he never had an accident in the house again.

You need to find out how she is telling you, watch her, watch what she is doing, she will be telling you but you haven't worked out what she is saying. Dogs have many ways to tell us, some like the dog I sat for runs backwards and forwards, others will sit and stare at you, others find other ways.

For introducing Molly, first take the for a short walk together, have someone walking Molly and you with Rua, walk parallel with quite a distance between them. As you are walking watch Rua and gradually move closer to Molly as long as Rua is relaxed and curious. Don't worry if you don't get them together as Molly won't be able to walk far due to being a baby.

I don't have any help when I take on a new dog as I live on my own, how I introduce a new dog is if I can bring the new dog home in a crate in the car and have my other dogs in the car as well. My dogs get to know there is another dog there before she comes into my house.

I take the new dog in first, let her have a good look round downstairs and the back garden then I put her in another room were there is a bowl of water and a comfy bed. I bring my other dogs in and let them sniff at the door, they eventually get fed up and walk away, this takes longer for some dogs than others, I want them to make the decision to walk away.

I have my house so I can take dogs outside without passing the others, done this on purpose, so the new dog can still go outside without meeting my dogs.

When I settle down for the evening I have the new dog in a crate and let my dogs in one at a time to say hello. I watch both dogs and if the new dog shows signs of stress I remove the other dog to the other side of the room until the new dog relaxes again. Once the new dog is happy with that dog I let another in and do the same. Yes it does take time but well worth it.

I have gates up all over my house so I can shut out or confine my dogs and use these gates as well the following day. Instead of having the door closed or the dog crated, she is behind a gate, I can then watch all my dogs and new one, if they are ignoring each other then I will let one dog in with the new dog, I let them in one at a time, if all is well they are all together while I am there. I don't leave them together if I go out, my new dog is crated for safety.

By letting them get to know each other gradually I rarely get any problems, they get to know each other in safety so when they are together they are ready to interact together.

When bringing a new dog or pup into your home all toys, bones etc should be put away, these are often the cause of problems between new dogs so no toys, bones etc. down until Rua has accepted Molly. Also feed them with a closed door between them, I still do this with my dogs so they can eat in peace without a faster eater bothering them. I can't do this when I am away in my caravan but because I do at home I don't have any problems with them eating in a confined space but I do watch them so there is no conflict.

Just watch them learn to read their body language, there are some clips on body language at viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2959 which may help you understand what Rua is saying, they helped me a lot.

If you go to viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1981 it will tell you what stage Molly is at which will help. There is a lot of good advice in that section which may help.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]