Aggressive behavior

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

krysten261

Aggressive behavior

Post by krysten261 »

Good morning. I have a 3 year old beagle/shepard mix named Buddy. I have had him since he was 3 months old. He has always been very nice to other dogs and plays well. He goes to day care occasionally and the dog park frequently. Even if dogs are barking at him or lunge at him, he is very passive. However, on Monday I took him to the dog park. We had been there for about a half hour when an owner brought his dog in-looked like a chocolate lab. Buddy lunged at him and attacked the dog. He didn't break the skin but it wasn't the usual "play". I was about 100 ft. away and ran to help. The owner shoved my dog off and I put Buddy on his leash and gave him a time out. The guy was really mad and ended up leaving. I let Buddy back off his leash and he was fine. Then about 20 minutes later, he did the same thing again to another dog. I took him home after that. This really upset me because I have never seen him do that and the other dogs did not provoke him. I want him to be able to go to the dog park-he loves it. But I'm afraid of him doing this again. Any advice would be helpful! Thanks!
Mattie

Re: Aggressive behavior

Post by Mattie »

A sudden change in a dog's behaviour like this your dog needs to be taken to the vet for a full check-up including bloods, many things can show up in bloods before symptoms show. Once your dog gets the all clear from the vet we will be able to help you but that has to be your first call.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
krysten261

Re: Aggressive behavior

Post by krysten261 »

Thank you. I didn't think of that! I will call the vet today!