My Puppy Follows Everyone

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

CJ-89

My Puppy Follows Everyone

Post by CJ-89 »

Hi,

I am not sure why but my 13 weekold puppy seem to keep following everyone.

If the famiyl are in the livingroom and one person goes to get a drink out the kitchen he will follow. Even though he not going to be left by himself in the room.

I was just wondering if there is anyway to show him that he doens't need to follow as they will be comming back or will he just learn in time?
danabanana

Post by danabanana »

This worked for me -

Make yourself rreeeaaalllly boring. Just get up and sit back down again. Get up walk a couple of steps and don't do anything. Do it lots. Go into another room and come back, open and close doors without going anywhere.

My girl can't even be bothered to lift her head now and she's only about a week and a half older than yours x
Owdb1tch

Post by Owdb1tch »

Capitalise on this natural need to follow by incorporating it into his recall training. What you can do now will never be so easy again :) Whoever is going out of the room calls him as he comes along, and then when they are coming back into the other room and he is already on his way, someone in the room can call him. Reward well every time.

He'll start to show independence soon enough!
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Hes interested in what you might be doing, is it going to be rewarding for him.

Use that to your advantage as Owdb1tch says, and if you are not using it, ie calling him and rewarding him, then ignore him.

He will learn then to come when called but otherwise, he may as well not bother.