Any advice on training a deaf dog?

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

critterkids

Any advice on training a deaf dog?

Post by critterkids »

I just got my new foster dog today :-). She's a 10 year old basset named Star and she's deaf. A friend gave me a website (www.deafdogs.org) which has some pretty helpful information for training and living with a deaf dog (can't get her attention if she's getting into something or any other situation where it's necessary at the moment). A couple things mentioned on the website were using a laser light and/or using a vibrating collar (not sure about that but i can see the idea behind it so i'll be doing more research into it). And from there, of course, teaching her basic commands using signs.

Just thought i'd see if anyone else may have any suggestions.

Here's a chance to prove old dogs CAN learn new tricks (or old tricks in a new way lol) :-).

And I just thought i'd put in this cute pic I got of her:
danabanana

Post by danabanana »

I don't I'm afraid but what a sweetie!

I think there is someone on here who had a deaf dog though, maybe she'll be on later
Maxy24

Post by Maxy24 »

I've heard of using the laser (actually a pen light since a laser would hurt the eyes) as a clicker of sorts. Anyway training a deaf dog IMO is just as easy as a hearing dog, the only difficulty is what you mentioned getting attention. I too have heard the vibrating collar but i urge you to be careful, they are basically shock collars turned down low (although you can find some that are only vibrations) so if you decide to use one please try it on yourself first and it should not even have to be strong just enough so he can tell it's vibrating. You'll have to train him what the vibration means so vibrate it then use a treat to make him look at you, give the treat. work on that for a while until he learns vibrate=look at you, until he learns this do not use it except for training sessions or he will learn to tune it out. make sure it is water proof. Other ways to get his attention (remember to train these too in the same way) is to flick the light switch on and off (do it more than just on or just off, make sure it's off-on or on-off-on so he does not look for you every tie you turn on or off the light). if it's night and you're outside you can flash a flash light on and off in front of him. You can try stomping feet (he may be able to feel vibrations) or wave your arms (he may see you in his peripheral vision). remember he must be trained that these things mean to look at you before he will respond to them. You can also try tossing an object near her so she looks around and then use some other signal that means "look at me" once you are in her line of vision.

I know I teach all commands using sign language first, then I usually move on to the verbal command. Dogs generally speak to each other using body language so they actually pick up on the hand signals faster. Just teach the command and then give a hand signal followed by making the dog do the command and eventually he will connect the two. If you teach it using a treat to lure the behavior (down for instance) then take the action you use to move the treat and turn it into a hand signal, just slowly move it higher from the ground until you can do it standing up so the signal is not hand sweeping to floor but hand making that same motion in mid air.

For the pen light as a clicker you simply give the command and when she complies flick on and off the light then give a treat, she'll learn the light going on means she did something right. You can load the light like you would a clicker or start by teaching a simple command (like touch) and just turn on the light every time she touches the object you encourage her to touch and give the treat and she'll learn what the light means that way.

Also remember not to spook her, always let her see your hand before you touch her and if you need to wake her up perhaps blow gentle puffs of air at her face from a distance or tap the couch/bed that she's sleeping on so she knows your coming.

she's beautiful, I love bassets they are real characters, it's great you foster especially this old girl!