Can anyone help or offer some advice?

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

cazziebint

Can anyone help or offer some advice?

Post by cazziebint »

Hello all

I was wondering if anyone out there could give me some advice.

I have 2 Siberian Huskies and have had them for over 3 years now. I did all my research etc on the breed before hand. Diego is 3 and a half and aluka 7. For some strange reason Diego (my youngest) has started weeing and pooing in the kitchen over night!!!

At first we thought he had been desperate to go out and I felt awful because if he needs to go out overnight he wakes me up and I let him out, however, it has become clear this isn't the case. I have tried to think of anything that may cause him doing this but just can't think. We moved in October to our new house and thought it maybe that but he never did it when we first moved so can't understand him being upset now?? He routine hasn't changed, I walk them both every morning, then go to work and he is caged (as he has been since a puppy) from 9 - 12.30, then I come home at lunchtime and let them out in the garden for an hour then go back to work and he is caged from 1.30- 4.30 when Ross get home. He has been in this routine for years so can't see that being cause, then they are walked of an evening then an hour after their walk they are fed so they are settled after there dinner. They alwas go out for last wees before we go to bed. I am really worried about him as he has never reacted to any changes in the past. He never did anything when I got Aluka, or when Ross moved in or when we moved.

I am going try changing there feeding pattern to a lunchtime so he poos more on his evening walk but again for 3 years he has been fed of an evening.

We have racked our brains first thought he wasn't well, then thought we couldn't hear him wanting to be out and even thought it was the wind scaring him overnight but he s a flighty dog???

The only other change in our home is that 3 weeks ago I discovered I was pregnant. I am just assuming that he can sense this change in me because we aren't acting any different, I still walk them, play with him etc. Could this be it??

Also can anyone recommend a cleaner that strips all of the urine away? I know bleach just masks the area so I wanted some of that cleaner that removes the scent too.

Any advice, I am worried about my poor baby.
There is no therapy in the world than can match the kisses of a dog
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Any sudden changes in behaviour should be checked with a vet first, he could have a health problem.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Owdb1tch

Post by Owdb1tch »

Mattie's right.

Are you sure it's him and not the other/both of them?

Yes he will know you are pregnant - you smell different.

But I suspect - if it is him, and he passes the vet check okay - something has happened outside that has frightened him, or is happening at night, and it doesn't have to be much with a sensitive dog. Have a think around this and see if anything has changed.
cazziebint

Post by cazziebint »

I haven't had him checked and the main reason being (this makes me sound awful) is because I used to work in a vet and left 4 months ago and I know they do a lot of un-necessary tests etc, least the vet I worked for did.

We have blitzed the kitchen today, went to Pets at Home and got some odour eliminator and some pet off spray (yuk to citronella). The blinds from the patio have been soaked in the odour eliminator and washed again, the weight and little rope thing that holds them together soaked to, the whole area and kitchen has been drenched in it and let dry and we have just put the blinds back up and sprayed the yukky pet off spray all over.

Each time Diego sniffs the area I have being saying a loud AH! and he has looked an walked away. He hasn't been punished for what he has done (other than a Who did that??? Bad dog), but we have even started praising him on his walks when he wees and poos and when he comes in the from the garden he gets a big good boy Diego?? Now I am thinking, are we giving him to much attention????

Yes its definately him. He won't go near the kitchen when he has done it whereas Aluka just wandred next to the mess and looked as much to say - well not me Mam. Plus I know there poos. Diego is always a little runny as he has a very very sensitive stomach.

I have got new food today for sensitive stomach which he was on last year. He was been walked twice so far today but didn't poo on his last walk which mean I will take him out around 9ish for last wee and poos.

I wouldn't say he is a flighty, sensitive dog though. He has been through other changes and never flickered, even when we moved????? Pregnancy is the only thing I can think of but even then I haven't changed towards him, I still walk him, play with him, he sleeps with me on my side of the bed, nothing at all has changed in his daily routines?

If he messes again I think I will take a trip to the vets to rule out anything sinister.

My other plan (whihc I really really would prefer not to do) is at night put his cage in our room, cage him, then I set my arlarm during the night and get up and let him out, the hopefully he will do his business in the garden then can leave him out the cage. I woud rather not do this since he is caged during the weekdays.

Am I making any sense???? :cry: or sound very neurotic
cazziebint

Post by cazziebint »

PS: reharding something frightening him, we did think the wind last weekend may have scared him? Its not every night he had a clean night Thursday and god praised Friday morning and I think clean Tuesday night too???

Could it be a combination of the wind or pregnancy??? He sleeps in our room on our bed with us though??
Owdb1tch

Post by Owdb1tch »

I don't quite understand the sleeping arrangements - you say he pees and poos in the kitchen but he sleeps with you? Do you think he tries to wake you, or does he go down as far as the kitchen but can't get out?

I thought from your first post he slept in the kitchen.

If he sleeps with you - are you a heavy sleeper? Would you wake if he started to move about? If so, shut the bedroom door and take him out when he wakes you. Or leave the kitchen door open and let him take himself out. Or go with your cage option.

In any case, once the baby comes he will need to change his sleeping arrangements and it is better done now than when the baby arrives - he will find that terribly hard to cope with in any case, so make all possible changes early.

If he has a sensitive stomach, he might not be able to help himself. See how he gets on with the new food. Might need some probiotics.

Specify in the vet check you want him tested for a bladder/kidney or bowel infection.
Owdb1tch

Post by Owdb1tch »

Owdb1tch wrote:I don't quite understand the sleeping arrangements - you say he pees and poos in the kitchen but he sleeps with you? Do you think he tries to wake you, or does he go down as far as the kitchen but can't get out?

I thought from your first post he slept in the kitchen.

If he sleeps with you - are you a heavy sleeper? Would you wake if he started to move about? If so, shut the bedroom door and take him out when he wakes you. Or leave the kitchen door open and let him take himself out. Or go with your cage option.

Once the baby comes he will need to change his sleeping arrangements and it is better done now than when the baby arrives - he will find that terribly hard to cope with in any case, so make all possible changes early.

If he has a sensitive stomach, he might not be able to help himself. See how he gets on with the new food. Might need some probiotics.

Specify in the vet check you want him tested for a bladder/kidney or bowel infection.
Owdb1tch

Post by Owdb1tch »

Don't know what happened there - obviously no edit facility
Owdb1tch

Post by Owdb1tch »

*edited
cazziebint

Post by cazziebint »

Hiya

Sorry I should be have been clearer. He does sleep with us but has the run of the house during the night. If he has needed out in the past he hs woken me up or I wake up because I hear him pacing around a lot. I was going to shut the kitchen door and move the water bowl upstairs at a night time but the one I suppose "comfort" is that the kitchen is tiled and therefore easier to clean up.

I did think of shutting our bedroom door and shutting him in with us but would mean locking them both in with us and they tend to move around if that makes any sense? Aluka favours sleeping at the top of the stairs but may get on the bed, but then may jump off and sleep on the floor next to the bed and the same with Diego. He likes to start on the bed, then jumps off and gets on the floor next to the radiators, then may go in the passage the may get back on the bed etc etc

I usually do wake when I hear him or feel him get off the bed. I was thinking that maybe I am sleeping through this as I have been exhausted the last few days, but I was awake loads last night listening for him moving, but on the other hand, he has never been a dog that has to be let out loads during th night. Does that make sense? When he has needed out during the night he has usually had the runs (again he has a sensitive stomach and a little g*t at hoovered things up when walked i.e kebabs that have been chucked away).

Then this morning too? peeing on the blinds, after he had been for a walk and had some "diego time" (lol I said maybe he needed more quality time so we played with them both in the back garden).

I was thinking about rewarding him. Like taking some ham or chicken out with me and giving him a little treat after ever ee and poo and the same after he has been in the garden for a wee etc??

I am sorry for being so neurtic. I have just never had any problems with either of them before.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Sorry to come into this late... and please accept my sincere apologies if i have misread anything (v harsh diet, my mind is all over the place, mostly its in my fridge....)...

Couple of things ive picked up from your posts.

1/ Pregnant, he will know something about you has changed evne if he doesnt know what that actually means. This can cause anxiety.

2/He may not want to wake you, or he may not realise he can, has he ever woken you at night to go out?

3/ You telling him off when you find a mess can be counter productive. He doesnt associate the telling off with the making of the mess, but what he CAN do is associate the presence of mess with you upset, and that will make him more anxious. If he has no control (for whatever reason) over the making of the mess, then he will not stop doing it... but will then get more anxious after he has done it.... and then will be more likely to do it again (if he associates you coming down in a morning with you finding mess and being unhappy, he then starts to dread the morning.... etc etc).

Try not saying anything, just pretend santa left you a pressie, not a big stinky mess (imagine how you will be when your baby is potty training and misses the potty....).

Solutions... teach him to ask to go out, so rewarding when he and you are outside and he goes to the toilet is good and the first stage of that process.

No crossness at messes, he doesnt do it to annoy, even though it is very annoying.

Try a DAP diffuser in a few rooms and also look into Bach Flower Remedies for dealing with his possible anxieties (i cant tell you which ones to use, youd need to look them up and decide which ones suit him best)...

Perhaps more 'bonding' time with him - try clicker training as detailed in the clicker thread, its a good confidence builder!
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

This will help you work out which Bach Flower Remdies to use, you can use up to 6 in one go.

http://www.bachshop.co.uk/catalog/index ... f427fd7a3d
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Fab_lab

Post by Fab_lab »

emmabeth wrote:
Try a DAP diffuser in a few rooms and also look into Bach Flower Remedies for dealing with his possible anxieties (i cant tell you which ones to use, youd need to look them up and decide which ones suit him best)...
where is the best place to buy them from ?
cazziebint

Post by cazziebint »

Hiya Emma

Thanks for the reply

I did think the pregnancy may have been a trigger, me smelling different etc.

Regards waking. In the past if he has needed to go out he hasn't woke me up per se (sp), but I have woken up as I have heard him "pacing" around and being restless so he may well be pacing around but I am not hearing him - which makes me feel awful if he is as I have to admit, I am exhausted at the min.

I know. I haven't told him off anymore because I did think well you have to catch him in the act. What we are doing though is when we see him sniffing the area or going near the blinds and sniffing we are saying AH! No! and he is looking and walking away, of course this also has me worried because the doors are the enterance to garden and I don't want him confused thinking he will get wrong if he is standing there wanting to go out - if that makes any sense at all ha ha

He had a clean night last. We made some changes though i.e. they went out for a 3rd walk last night from 9.30 till 10.10. Every time he weed and pood he got a lot of praise and a litle bit of titbit of ham. Then during the night I got up at 1am and put him in the garden then Ross got up at 5am and did the same. Surprisingly Diego was not impressed at being woken up and having to go out ha ha ha but it has worked so we are going to try it again tonight. We are also going back to basics i.e, during the day/evening, putting him in the garden for a wee every 90 mins and lots of praise when he comes in.

I have the DAP plug in and spray I got when I worked at the vets. I also have Valerian (sp) compound drops which I use to calm him down when I go to shows with him, so may try those before bed.

Hoping its ust a little retraining and some night time garden visits

I have said to oss to maybe he needd some more "diego time" ha ha. So we got him a new ball yesterday and we are playing with him more. We are lucky that Aluka is so chilled and laid back tho otherwise I would be worried about him getting jealous ut he is fine.

I know, poor little buggar. Cleaning up the mess doesn't bother me (unlike Ross who is gagging and retching all over, be fun to him with a nappy), like you say its more annoying and its actually the blinds that are annoying really coz means washing them and ironing them etc etc but needs must and I will do whatever we have to settle him.

Lots of peopl have said oh by him nw toys, buy him this and that but I don't believe in stuff like that. I think you do invst in your dog, but you invest time and if it means a bit extra time to a little extra training then that what it is.

Phew!!

Love Caz - the neurotic owner in Newcastle xxxxxx
mjhauserman

Post by mjhauserman »

I want to recommend vinegar for the cleanup. It will completely remove the smell, so the dog won't even be able to smell it. Sometimes, they will re-visit the same spot because the smell is there.

Another suggestion I want to make, especially considering there's a baby on the way, is to crate train him, or them. Your dogs are going to need a "safe haven" from the baby. They like dens, it makes them feel secure, and generally, most dogs won't mess their den. Unless they are left there for an unreasonable amount of time. Unless there's a medical reason, your dogs should be able to make it through the night without having to go out. I cant' stress though that it will be a good thing for your dog to have a safe haven from the baby. As soon as baby becomes mobile, he will want a place he can go to get away from the baby from time to time. Someplace that's off limits to baby.

Crate training does not have to start with puppy. I crate trained my adult Beagle, years after I adopted him. It was the best thing I could have done for him. I left the crate door open and he would go in there and nap, and hide from the boys. It was his own room, and he really liked it. I highly recommend it for your situation. It may help with the current problem, and help with any challenges related to adding a new member to the household.

Jen