Misty won't come in at night :0(

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

bmbutler

Misty won't come in at night :0(

Post by bmbutler »

I have had Misty now for over a year. Finally housebroken. She started at 19 pounds and is now 55 pounds. (not overweight).

One problem that has developed in the last 6 weeks is she refuses to come in at night. I have a dog door on my back storm door that they can come and go (2 dogs) as they please when I am home. Something in her brain triggers at 8 pm. She will not come in no matter what I say or what treat she is offered. It is like she is scared. She will gently stick her head in to see what is going on. But she won't come in. I have tried leading her in with treats - no way.

I don't completely mind her being out except she barks and the JR in her has already dug under my fence once and gotten out. I left her outside last night and she started barking at gosh knows what every couple of hours. I don't want my neighbors hating me.

I did take her out once on her lead after she came in around 8 pm and she did okay. We weren't on our normal firm schedule this weekend due to the holiday. Tonight we are back on it. So I am going to try to keep her in once she comes in around 8:30 and only take her out on her leash after that.

Anybody else have success stories or ideas?
Blackie's and Misty's Mom
Mattie

Re: Misty won't come in at night :0(

Post by Mattie »

If any of my dogs won't come in when I want them to I close the door and walk away, it is wonderful to see their faces when I do this. :lol:

When they approach the door I open it and give the command to come in, at first they always run off again so I close the door again. I keep doing this until they come in, they then gets lots of very high rewards, the more I can give them the better. I do have them ready by the door for when they come in and they have to be given very fast when they are in, any delay and they may not relate the very high reward treats with coming in.

It doesn't take them long to work out it is nicer to come in than stay out. :lol:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
bmbutler

Post by bmbutler »

Thanks, Mattie. I will give that a try. She does well during the day (like today when she went out after I walked them.) Sooooo hot here.

That might be something else I try - walking them when I finish teaching piano lessons around 8 pm - tired her out.
bmbutler

Post by bmbutler »

Last night Misty gave me trouble coming in after my piano lessons were over, but I decided to ignore her. I showed her her harness and leash and said "let's go walk." She perked up, but would not come in. I laid down the leash and went to do something else.

She did come finally come in. I praised and praised her and said again, "let's go walk," and took her and Blackie out for a short walk (to hot here even at 8:45 pm). Took her out back one time before bed, but had her on her leash. She came to me when I called a couple of times and made sure to praise her and give her a treat. In for the rest of the night.

This morning let her out about 6:30 as usual. Gave trouble coming in. Again, ignored her. (I thankfully can do it if I time it right. Afraid to leave her out during the day to due our unusual high temperatures.) She came in while getting ready for work and jumped on my bed. Praised her and gave a small treat, but did shut the door.

I know it is something I did because she looks a little nervous after not coming in when she finally does. Just giving lots of love and praise and small treats.

She did leave me a wet present on my bed that I found out last night! Hasn't done that in over a year when she was about 7 months old! Off to the dry cleaners I go with my comforter.
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

Can I ask - what does she do during the day? Is she left in the house all day? When do you exercise her and for how long? Just wondering if she maybe isnt keen to come inside because she knows she is going to be left and be bored? Just an idea...could be way off!
bmbutler

Post by bmbutler »

No, I think your logic is spot on. That is why I walked her last night. She is about 1 1/2 years old and has A LOT of energy (the JRT in her), and I am going to try walking her each night to let her get some of it out. I come home at lunch (12:15) and walk both of my dogs too. Hard to stay out long with the heat. I am going to walk her tonight. It is the one night I am gone for about 3 hours. She has gotten destructive in the past (boredom) so this has helped the last two Wednesday nights with that.

During the week, my two dogs really like to play with each other. Blackie is 4 and when she is feeling like it, they burn rubber chasing each other around the back yard and wrestle with each other. It is completely hysterical when Misty will use her 2 front paws to grab Blackie (laying down) and turn her around. I think Misty is a JRT, dalmatian (sheds like crazy) and boxer combo.