Am I doing this right?

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Spinktygirl

Am I doing this right?

Post by Spinktygirl »

Hi,

I have a 7mth Jack russell, he has been with us 3 weeks. We got him from a breeder who after they were weaned him kept him outside in a stable he pretty much had free reign outside and lived with his two brothers.
I'm wondering if i'm doing the right thing toilet training him. He has no problems doing his business outside and I try to let him out every 3 - 4 hrs I praise and give a treat when he wees/poos outside. I have a stairgate at the kitchen door so he doesn't have free roam of the house.
At night he sleeps on my bedroom floor (no accidents at all). How will I know that he is safe to let have free roam of the house? I'm concerned that im not teaching him to 'ask' to go out. When we let him sit in the lounge with us a night again no problems but he has had 4 or 5 accidents in the hall on the carpet my fault I wasn't watching him at the time, when he was in the hall with me two days ago he started to circle and was about to go so i qucikly said ah and straight outside we went he did a poo and i praised him.
I just want someone to say this is great and you'll have him house trained in no time :? or if i'm going about this in the wrong way then plz advise me better.
PS He has been neutered (1 wk ago)
Ocelot0411

Post by Ocelot0411 »

Not sure on the 'asking' bit as I am not thoroughly convinced I have this down myself but one thing I can say is that from my experience of my own pup its crucial to kep them whee you can see them until you are sure that they won't go inside as every accident is a step back. I thought I had it cracked a few times and then realised that I had let Ellie go it alone too soon and she would have an accident.

What happens now is that if I am in a different room to Ellie (say the kitchen and she is in the front room) she will come in look at me (or butt me with her nose) and walk off. She does do this anyway as she is a bit of an attention seeker, but when she has done it then walked off immediately I get an inkling that she wants to go out. All I have to do then is listen for her pawing at the patio doors. The minute she does this I let her out.

Not sure if that constitutes 'asking' and as for the training part of it, well I didn't so anything, this is a routine which has just developed as Ellie has twigged that if she scrapes at the door it opens.

If we are upstairs she will just trot off downstairs on her own and scrape at the door till I come and open it. Again I know that when she goes off on her own its for a reason, as she is the sort of dog that would surgically attach herself to you if she knew how, so the fact she ups and goes tells me she needs / wants something.

Sounds like you are doing good so far though and have almost got it cracked. I think one of the most important things iis to know your dog so you can spot the signs. Obviously this will be more difficult for you at the momment as you have only had him a few weeks.
Owdb1tch

Post by Owdb1tch »

OK "This is great and you'll have him housetrained in no time" :D

and what Ocelot said.

Early days yet.
danabanana

Post by danabanana »

same as the others, you'll get there!

My girl only learned that one of us had to open the door for her after running into a glass pane a couple of times (definately not advisable).

You'll spot the signs. good luck with it!