My Puppy Doesn't like his lead!!

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

CJ-89

My Puppy Doesn't like his lead!!

Post by CJ-89 »

My Fell Terrier is 12 weeks and he doesn't like his leader. When I put it on him he starts biting it and pulling it and trys to get it off. His color doesn't bother him though.

How can I get my puppy used to it leader so that I can take him for a walk?
Robbie71

Post by Robbie71 »

my dog use to go mad when i put the lead on.do u give a treat when you put the lead on?i use to put the lead in the house and leave her with it on for a while and i would give her a treat and made a fuss of her. hold the lead call her to me and give her a treat. it took a while..
how you getting on?
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

No, puppies dont like leads.

Is he going 'OH MY GOD HOW DARE YOU RESTRAIN ME I WANNA DO MY THING IN MY TIME AND YOU CAN GET LOST....'

That sort of thing, aka puppy tantrums?

Or is he just lying down and refusing to move 'This puppy is on Strike'...

Either way:

Pair the lead coming out with a treat. So lead = treat.

Sniff the lead = treat.

Have the lead clipped on = treat.

Follow you with lead on = treat.

Anything else, ignore. If he doesnt want to follow you thats fine, just stay where you are, do not drag him. If he wants to eat the lead for now just ignore him, puppy leads are cheap as chips anyway or use a bit of washing line for now until he stops that if that is his game.

Tantrums, ignore. If he wants to dance like a fish on a hook, thats his choice, I am not the oen pulling on the lead, thats him doing it.

If he does do that, be very ready the very SECOND he stops, to offer him a treat or his favourite toy, and then take the lead off.

If you do this he will learn that he cannot run away, that giving up quickly is rewarding, that the lead means nice things.

Do not speak to him, cajole him, stare at him, shout at him or drag him or tug on the lead - all these will be counter productive. (Unless he is good, then you can tell him he is good and make it nice and high pitched and squeaky, terriers like that a lot).
danabanana

Post by danabanana »

my girl doesn't particularly like hers either she likes to tug and chew on it but has come to realise it's much more fun just to keep walking with me anyway. She still likes to carry her end in her mouth, not sure if she's giving herself a job there but she doesn't tug anymore. She now knows that lead = walk so they do get used to it, good luck!
Ocelot0411

Post by Ocelot0411 »

emmabeth wrote:
Is he going 'OH MY GOD HOW DARE YOU RESTRAIN ME I WANNA DO MY THING IN MY TIME AND YOU CAN GET LOST....'

That sort of thing, aka puppy tantrums?

Tantrums, ignore. If he wants to dance like a fish on a hook, thats his choice, I am not the oen pulling on the lead, thats him doing it.
Ha ha ha!! Fab description! Thats EXACTLY what Ellie used to do, like "Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!! Get this infernal thing off me, I want to reek havoc. No? OK so I'm gonna kill it REALLY dead....grrrrrrrrr". Oh the fun we had :roll:

Now - lead equals wagging of entire body not just tail. They do get there eventually!
CJ-89

Post by CJ-89 »

I just want to say thanks. I have managed to get my puupy used to the lead. He isn't as bad with it now. He still likes to tug at it now and again.

I think he has finaly realised that the lead = good things.