Leaving moving objects

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

emily728

Leaving moving objects

Post by emily728 »

My basset/lab, Layla, knows the leave it command quite well. As long as the object isn't moving. Actually, moving objects such as balls, insects, food, etc. she will leave when I tell her to. The problem I am looking for advice on is things like people and other dogs. We will be moving in with my mother soon and she has two pugs, Layla is constantly trying to play with the smaller pug. Two problems with that: Layla is quite a big bigger and plays a little rough and Lucy (the pug) doesn't really want to play with her. When I tell Layla to leave it she will usually walk away but soon enough she's back picking on little Lucy. How would you recommend correcting this problem?

I'm hoping the correction will work the same for when Layla is bothering people. Guests in the house don't always want Layla to sniff out their entire body, is there a way to greet and then leave?

ETA: Layla will be two in October. :) Thanks!!!
ladybug1802

Re: Leaving moving objects

Post by ladybug1802 »

Hi! I am not really sure, but I dont think the leave it command can really be used when it comes to other dogs.....she will have a strong desire to interact with them, as you have seen, and I am not sure a command that has been used to ask her to leave static, specific objects alone can work with other dogs. Can you put a baby gate up so she can see the other dogs but not get to them, then let her out when she has calmed down and has watched them for a bit?

All I know is on the rare occasions I have a friend and their dog over at my house, they will play continuouslty for a long time! But thats fine as they do get along well, but I dont think I would be able to stop them short of putting them both on a lead and asking them to sit next to us, or by putting one dog in another room.

Hopefully others will be able to help more.
emily728

Post by emily728 »

Well, I won't separate them because the house is a pretty open floor plan so short from leaving the dog in the bedroom there's not a whole lot I can do. Although, when she does get riled up I put her outside for a minute and since it's a sliding glass door she can see them and when she sits I'll let her back in. The problem is that she is still very much a puppy and these dogs are a bit older. So they're calmer while she wants to play. Not only that but she dominates the smaller one, which starts the problem. I can tell her no and she will walk away (and I give praise when she does) but as soon as I turn my back or I'm out of the room she is back to picking on little Lucy.

Please help! I'm at a loss! THANK YOU!
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

How much exercise is she getting or will she be getting when you move in with your mom? If you have her good and exercised and tired she'll be less likely (not saying she WON'T) to rough house as much as she would if she were under-exercised. I just had a baby so my poor beagle hasn't been on a walk in forever and he's bouncing off every single blade of grass in the back yard it's ridiculous. When he's under-exercised he's also a lot more snarky and "in your face" with my older weenies.

You might also try to redirect. I can tell when my boy's getting ready to be norty, so if I jump in BEFORE he's had a chance to do it and go play with him or get him to run through his commands for treats he'll usually forget that he was getting ready to be a butt.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

ladybug1802 wrote:Hi! I am not really sure, but I dont think the leave it command can really be used when it comes to other dogs
I suppose technically you could. However, I am with you, not so sure it's the best approach. particularly when the issue involves something with strong emotions. how do you "leave it" to an emotion?
emily728 wrote:Well, I won't separate them because the house is a pretty open floor plan so short from leaving the dog in the bedroom there's not a whole lot I can do.
I would urge you to reconsider the basic concept of what Ladybug was getting at with the baby gate suggestion. I am sure there is away to do this or adapt the concept to meet the floor plan. Otherwise what is your plan for when your not going to be home? or when you need to focus on something else and can't referee? managing the problem is a legitimate part of an over all solution because even the worlds best training is weakened by the lack of your presents when you go to work, out to dinner, run errands etc.
emily728 wrote: Although, when she does get riled up I put her outside for a minute and since it's a sliding glass door she can see them and when she sits I'll let her back in. The problem is that she is still very much a puppy and these dogs are a bit older.
Timeouts might be a good way to go. your puppy finds it rewarding and fun to pester the older dogs. A gentle timeout is a good way to say doing X ends your fun. To be effective though you need to be on the ball. soon as she starts pestering the other dog, calmly taker her out of the room. don't yell make a big deal, just taker her out of the room for 10 seconds. then let her go. if she does it again, out again for 10 seconds or so. if you make the timeouts long like a minute or more the dog looses track of why it's on timeout.

Let me see if I can't find one of Emmabeth's posts about how to do a proper time out.

Another option is to in addition to keeping them physically separate when you can't supervise is redirect your dog to another activity that she finds highly rewarding but more appropriate.
emily728 wrote: Not only that but she dominates the smaller one, which starts the problem.
To help keep the right perspective, she isn't dominating anything. she is being a rude, rambunctious puppy. when the average person uses the term dominate/dominance they are thinking usually one of two things. Dog is trying to be the leader or dog is trying to control the world around them. puppies can't be leaders, that is an adult role. And not to hijack your question too much, the whole dominance/dominate explanation for dog behavior is extremely flawed. here is nice article that touches on some of the basics of why it's a deficient means to describe our dogs. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 112711.htm

In addition to everything else, you need to make sure your dog is getting enough physical exercise and mental stimulation. for most dogs this means a walk of appropriate duration for their physical needs. and mental stimulation, clicker training is one possible option open to you. here is a link on how to get started viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513 and here is another that gives ideas for mentally challenging your dog. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1135
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1106
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9040

there are two threads where Emmabeth explains time outs.

However, after a bit more thought, i would try more physical exercise and redirection to another activity first. But if you do try timeouts, remember the goal isn't so much punishment as in "bad dog go to your room", but more about taking the fun out of an inappropriate or undesirable behavior.
emily728

Post by emily728 »

Thank you so much! I will try these options. I will say that she gets walked daily; we have a friend in the neighborhood who has a very big yard and a dog about Layla's age/size. We walk to his house and I let her play and we walk back. As well as her "tug-o-jug" that she gets at least every other day. However, she still wants to play with little Lucy. But I will definitely try the options you have given.

And just to answer the question of when I'm not home, all three dogs are kennel trained and during the night or when we're out they are in the kennel.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

emily728 wrote:My basset/lab, Layla, knows the leave it command quite well. As long as the object isn't moving. Actually, moving objects such as balls, insects, food, etc. she will leave when I tell her to. The problem I am looking for advice on is things like people and other dogs. We will be moving in with my mother soon and she has two pugs, Layla is constantly trying to play with the smaller pug. Two problems with that: Layla is quite a big bigger and plays a little rough and Lucy (the pug) doesn't really want to play with her. When I tell Layla to leave it she will usually walk away but soon enough she's back picking on little Lucy. How would you recommend correcting this problem?
She isn't picking on Lucy, she is a dog that wants to play, I sometimes have the same problem with my Staffy, he wants to play my other dogs don't and he will pester and pester them, including trying to mount them to get them to play. When he is like this I put a house lead on him so I can lead him away if he doesn't take any notice of me. The leave command isn't strong enough for him to obey in this situation, it will be one day but not for a long time yet so I don't rely on it.
I'm hoping the correction will work the same for when Layla is bothering people. Guests in the house don't always want Layla to sniff out their entire body, is there a way to greet and then leave?

ETA: Layla will be two in October. :) Thanks!!!
[/quote]

Forget correcting her, she is a dog doing what dogs do, you can't correct this all you can do is give her something else to do in its place. I don't let my dogs greet people unless they are quiet and settled, they are not likely to jump all over them then. Again the house lead will help, you can lead her off your visitors and keep her next to you.
Well, I won't separate them because the house is a pretty open floor plan so short from leaving the dog in the bedroom there's not a whole lot I can do.
It is possible to seperate a dog even in an open plan house, I do it and so do many others, I use gates to seperate my dogs when I need to, most of the time they are open so not even inconvenient to have up. If you are not prepared to seperate them, you haven't even tried it so don't know if it will work or not, then you have a much harder job to stop her and may never succeed.
Although, when she does get riled up I put her outside for a minute and since it's a sliding glass door she can see them and when she sits I'll let her back in. The problem is that she is still very much a puppy and these dogs are a bit older.
My dog was neutered to young and is still in puppyhood, an adult Staffy with a puppy brain is not to be recommended :lol: Giving her a time out will help as long as she isn't outside more than 10 seconds, any longer and she will forget why she was put outside. Dogs don't keep information in their brains for long.
Not only that but she dominates the smaller one, which starts the problem. I can tell her no and she will walk away (and I give praise when she does) but as soon as I turn my back or I'm out of the room she is back to picking on little Lucy.
She is a young dog doing what dogs dol, she is not dominating or trying to dominate, she is just a dog doing what dogs do. Cyril does this if I allow him to, with dogs if you don't give them something else to do she will continue to do this because she wants to play. Do a short training session with her, play mind games etc. it will take her mind of wanting to play.
Thank you so much! I will try these options. I will say that she gets walked daily; we have a friend in the neighborhood who has a very big yard and a dog about Layla's age/size. We walk to his house and I let her play and we walk back. As well as her "tug-o-jug" that she gets at least every other day. However, she still wants to play with little Lucy. But I will definitely try the options you have given.
While this is getting rid of her energy and is good, it isn't exercising her brain, she needs other walks as well so her gets more stimulation, also her brain needs exercise, do a search for mind games on here, there are lots which will help.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
emily728

Post by emily728 »

In all honesty, separating isn't an option. We are in a rather small house and the hallway/back of the house is already off-limits for four-leggers. :) So that leaves the kitchen,living room, and outside. All of which are very open and the few places I could stick a gate to keep them separated would be a very small area with four walls (the entry way). I'm not trying to be rude I just wanted you to know that there really is no way to keep them separate without one dog being very confined. Also, I'm in Phoenix, AZ and our temps are breaking 100 this week so it's quite hot outside, especially for someone with a permanent fur coat.

The tug-o-jug helps stimulate her mind, since it has food in it and she has to figure out how to get it out. I will also hide toys and make her find them, especially if we are playing fetch. She will bring it to me, I'll hide it - she'll find it, and then I'll throw it for her. Is this a good game? I have to play mind games with her all the time because she's very smart and gets bored easily.
minkee

Post by minkee »

There's a great thread here for all kinds of mind-games for your dog: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1135 Take a read through, you'll get tons of ideas.

For the find the toy one, my pup loves that! I don't have to throw it at the end; her reward is lots of praise and getting to chew on the grunting piggy she just found. I only use that toy for 'Where's the pig?'.
ImageImage
emily728

Post by emily728 »

Haha that's cute! Layla wants me to throw it so that's how I reward her. :) I just tell her to go get it and she will find it.
Spikey29

Post by Spikey29 »

hi i have a 9 month old basset hound and he drives me crazy we picked one of the most stubborn breeds out there. i hope layla gets the idea but i have been told until they are a bit older they gradually slow down and just wanna plod their way through life.
the amount of people i have spoke to that have basset hounds have all said if a basset doesnt want to do something no matter how trained they wont. they thing that cute soppy face is enough lol. Good luck
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Spikey29 wrote:hi i have a 9 month old basset hound and he drives me crazy we picked one of the most stubborn breeds out there. i hope layla gets the idea but i have been told until they are a bit older they gradually slow down and just wanna plod their way through life.
the amount of people i have spoke to that have basset hounds have all said if a basset doesnt want to do something no matter how trained they wont. they thing that cute soppy face is enough lol. Good luck
This is rubbish Spikey, there is always a way if people are prepared to use their brains, most people are not interested in using their brains as it is too much like hard work. When normal methods don't work we need to think outside the box for something that does work.

When I first got my Greyhound Merlin, he would threaten to take my face off if I tried to get something he shouldn't have off him, being a big dog he was just at the right hight to get my face. How I got round this was when he had something he shouldn't, I would run out of the room saying in a very high, excited voice, "Look what I have got". Merlin would run out after me to see what I had, I would rattle the treat tin and give him a treat. He had forgotten what he had so I was able to go back into the room and pick it up. The side effect of this was his recall, he had a 100% recall if I said in a high excited voice "Look what I have got". :lol:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]